“A good value for the area” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Sparta, NJ
“A good value for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We received a favorable rate for the stay and we received a nice comfortable stay. The hotel is clean, the staff is pleasant and helpful. The location and access to the hotel are excellent. There was always ample parking. The room was pleasant although some areas could have been updated as the tub area and the air conditioner/heater was a little noisy and limited in range (cooler-warmer) even though it did work. Our room did not come with a refrigerator which would have been a nice option. I also felt that the maid staff was sometimes skimping on the amenities.... we got soap and shampoo but nothing else. Breakfast was good with ample amounts of food and one hot dish every day. It was a very good basic breakfast. All in all I think this was a good place to stay aside from the items I mentioned before. The hotel is within a ten minute walk from King Street and about the same to the Braddock Rd. Metro station. There are many restaurants and a supermarket close by. The neighborhood was quiet and felt very safe when we walked out at night. They offer a shuttle service to/and from the airport and local areas which is fine (but it does stop at about 8:30 at night). I would probably stay here again as it was a nice setting with only some minor issues.

Room Tip: I liked the room facing Washington St.. Rooms on the other side look at the parking area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Pros- very good value for the area. They run a free shuttle to a metro station and to old town Alexandria every 30 minutes. The front desk was very helpful and the breakfast was outstanding, they changed the hot food menu every day. We walked several nights to have dinner about 3-4 blocks away and felt very safe.
Cons- bed and pillows were not very comfortable, room was nice and clean but the air conditioner for a central unit was noisy. The bathroom was clean but needs to be updated and exhaust fan is noisy. Some things need to be updated

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guest so that we know what areas we need to work on and what areas we are doing ok. We appreciate your comments and will take a look at that noisy exhaust fan.
Sacramento, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Old Colony room was basic, but updated with new furnishings and a very comfotable bed. The main amenity is the complimentary shuttle service is convenient in getting to local restaurants, Metro and airport; but it is available only to 9:00 p.m. The neighborhood seems safe, but is not well lit in Old Colony's vicinity. Overall, we believe the Trip Advisor rating is reflective of the very good value we received.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Louisa, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September of 2012 and was very pleased, so pleased that I went directly back to this hotel when I needed to stay in Alexandria in Sept of 2013. It is not the same. Apparently it is under new management. There were other small indications but it would have been okay except for a 3AM phone call on Sunday morning checking to see if I was in the hotel. There is NO excuse for a 3AM phone call especially when there were already charges on my bill for a refrigerator and candy bought from the store at the hotel. The front desk person who called offered to remove the refrigerator charge from the bill to make up for the 3AM call. When I returned home I called and requested the whole second night be removed from the bill since we were unable to get back to sleep and had only 4 hours sleep. When I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told she was not in. The next time I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told I was speaking to the manager. I swear it was the same voice I had spoken to earlier. I was offered $70 off of the bill which included removing the refrigerator charge. To date I have not seen the $70 off of my bill or a final bill. As near as I can tell I think the refrigerator charge was removed but not the additional $50. I seriously doubt management knows anything about what happened. This is not my first bad experience with a Best Western. I had started staying at Best Westerns again (I travel a lot) since my experience with Old Colony in 2012 but not anymore if I can help it and definitely never again at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear AlisonT874,
Thank you so much for your information regarding your stay and about that 3AM phone call. I am deeply sorry about this and I am going to find out what happened that would cause a call at that time of the morning. I will also make sure you do get your refund. This is not the way we normally run our hotel and I hope you will come back and give us a second chance to show what good customer service we can provide.
San Dimas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was very pleased with the Old Colony Inn. The staff was helpful, and the room was comfortable. A shuttle was available for transportation, but being from the LA area, I perferred having my own car to explore Alexandria and the surrounding areas. I found this historic city very easy to learn, and the restaurants were wonderful - great seafood and wine. The variety of boutiques and their merchandise was a delight to explore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lawrence, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

... I had called the day before arrival to confirm and let them know my life was late and assure that all was well. I was told that all was in order however when I arrived they didn't have the correct room as reserved. I was not happy, but the next day the management made the best of a bad situation(a room had to be repaired so was not available) and adjusted my rate. That was a valid effort at solving the problem. I like this motel. Certainly older and dated but well run, quiet, clean, close to several service businesses and 2 blocks from bus to Metro. Only two stories but no elevator. I will try them again as I travel to DC several times a year.

Room Tip: Only two stories but no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited DC for four days and we stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn, and it was great! It's obviously not a five start hotel, but it's much better. They are great in price, the rooms are cozy but very clean. There's coffee available at all times, and the breakfast is great (completely free). They make you feel like it's home and it's in a great location. If you've never been to DC, you'll love Alexandria, the houses and apartments are beautiful.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle services to the train station, king street, the airport, and it's upon request, and they're great at that. The drivers are extremely nice and it really feels likes you're just meant to be there. The station is a couple of minutes away and to get to the center of DC it takes around 10 minutes, take the yellow train and transfer if you want to get there faster. Also, make sure you land in the Reagan airport, we chose BWI by mistake... first time out there... obviously.

Great place, would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
So glad to hear that you had a good time here in Alexandria. It is a nice quite area but like you said still close to DC. Come back and stay at your home away from home anytime.

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!