My husband I stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn in late July 2013 while we were exploring the DC area. For convenience to public transport and restaurants, it was hard to beat. The main food district is less than a mile down the road, and the metro is less than 2 miles. We walked to both and were perfectly comfortable with the area.
Now the things I've seen others complain about in more negative reviews:
(1) Yes, this inn does NOT have refrigerators. We made this mistake and brought sandwiches with us for the zoo the next day. They ended up going to waste because we had no cool place to put them.
(2) No, the staff don't vanish and/or leave the front desk unmanned. Every time we came in and out, there was a staff member helping other guests or greeting us. When we asked for a bag of ice because their cooler wasn't stocked, they brought a small bag to our room just for us. Very, very helpful and considerate.
(3) Yes, there is NO elevator to the upper floor and if I'm honest I do not recall the front entrance being wheelchair accessible.... There is an elevator down to the free computer access and continental buffet, however.
(4) Yes, the parking is free and it is ample. We pulled up just after supper and there were plenty of spaces. It was such a relief to have worry-free parking!
(5) No, the free continental buffet isn't great. Or special. If you have allergies, dietary issues, or are vegetarian/vegan by choice, there is no option. Me, I'm lactose intolerant, so the assortment of yogurts, cereals with milk, oatmeal, toast, English muffins, and waffles wouldn't do. We ended up walking down the road to the Whole Foods Market and ate breakfast there. Yum!
(6) The area surrounding. In the front of the hotel, you are facing the roadway with a bit of greenery between you and the road. My husband is a light sleeper but we had no problems with noise, and the curtains in the room were more than ample for blocking out the light.
(7) Cleanliness. Good, clean rooms and bathrooms. Fresh linens and no smells. The AC works well too, and there was no "dampness" that another reviewer was commenting on in this same timeframe.
Free wi-fi, a convenient location, easy to get to, helpful staff, and more affordably priced than most hotels in the Alexandria area, we were happy with our stay. It's an older hotel, so don't expect the ritz, but if you're commuting into Washington for any reason, this is a great option!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
First I want to Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.
Report response as inappropriate
We appreciate your business and it very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and addressing other issues was very thoughtful and we appreciate your input. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
And again, Thank you.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.