“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Marietta, United States
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Highly recommend... I plan on staying at this hotel whenever I am in town and will recommend to all my friends and family when visiting Washington DC or Alexandria.... it's located in the perfect area of the city, we were able to walk back after dinner and visiting the river... the linens were soft and inviting and the bed very comfortable...I wish I had stayed my entire trip in the hotel

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Although this hotel is older, it is clean and well maintained and quiet with good beds. The staff was wonderful: helpful and courteous. The breakfasts (we had 3) varied each day and were substantial and delicious. We especially appreciated the shuttle service. It runs every 30 minutes in the morning to the Metro stations, but in the afternoon, we guests could just call the hotel and the shuttle van would pick us up. I did that while shopping on King Street in the southern end of town. Within 5 minutes, the van was there to pick me up. The only drawback to this hotel is the lack of refrigerators in the rooms. Ice was available in bags in a freezer on the first floor. We appreciated the recliner chair in our room and the covered parking area. We would stay here again because the shuttle makes it possible to easily go into D.C. on the Metro or to shop or eat in Alexandria.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Marge_675,
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you had time to enjoy the surrounding area and do some shopping on King Street. Please come back and stay with us again when you are in the area. Let us know if you need a refrigerator and we will take care of you.
Aberdeen, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Colony Inn for 2 nights. We visited Mount Vernon, Fort Washington & shopped King Street (downtown Alexandria). The hotel was very clean, the staff helpful. It is close to the Mount Vernon trail. Breakfast was ok, waffles, cereals, etc. - the eggs were fair (maybe powdered?) They have bagged ice for convenience, there wasn't a refrigerator in our room. Seemed to be a quiet area, they provide local shuttle transportation. The only thing missing was a pool. Overall, a good choice for travelers.

Cedar City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

If I ever visit the D.C. area again, I will definitely stay here. The location is great, and the hotel has such charm. We liked the shuttle to Old Town and King St. It made it easy to get there when parking is so hard to find.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
First I want to thank you for commenting on your stay with us at the Best Western Old Colony Inn.
We are happy you enjoyed yourselves and come back and see us again.
Rochester, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our stay at the Best Western Old town Alexandria was like home away from home. A few blocks up from King street, easy to find , close to everything (between 5 and 10 minutes to national mall) , quiet and relaxing, friendly staff and was able to park right outside the front door for free!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

South England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband I stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn in late July 2013 while we were exploring the DC area. For convenience to public transport and restaurants, it was hard to beat. The main food district is less than a mile down the road, and the metro is less than 2 miles. We walked to both and were perfectly comfortable with the area.

Now the things I've seen others complain about in more negative reviews:
(1) Yes, this inn does NOT have refrigerators. We made this mistake and brought sandwiches with us for the zoo the next day. They ended up going to waste because we had no cool place to put them.
(2) No, the staff don't vanish and/or leave the front desk unmanned. Every time we came in and out, there was a staff member helping other guests or greeting us. When we asked for a bag of ice because their cooler wasn't stocked, they brought a small bag to our room just for us. Very, very helpful and considerate.
(3) Yes, there is NO elevator to the upper floor and if I'm honest I do not recall the front entrance being wheelchair accessible.... There is an elevator down to the free computer access and continental buffet, however.
(4) Yes, the parking is free and it is ample. We pulled up just after supper and there were plenty of spaces. It was such a relief to have worry-free parking!
(5) No, the free continental buffet isn't great. Or special. If you have allergies, dietary issues, or are vegetarian/vegan by choice, there is no option. Me, I'm lactose intolerant, so the assortment of yogurts, cereals with milk, oatmeal, toast, English muffins, and waffles wouldn't do. We ended up walking down the road to the Whole Foods Market and ate breakfast there. Yum!
(6) The area surrounding. In the front of the hotel, you are facing the roadway with a bit of greenery between you and the road. My husband is a light sleeper but we had no problems with noise, and the curtains in the room were more than ample for blocking out the light.
(7) Cleanliness. Good, clean rooms and bathrooms. Fresh linens and no smells. The AC works well too, and there was no "dampness" that another reviewer was commenting on in this same timeframe.

Free wi-fi, a convenient location, easy to get to, helpful staff, and more affordably priced than most hotels in the Alexandria area, we were happy with our stay. It's an older hotel, so don't expect the ritz, but if you're commuting into Washington for any reason, this is a great option!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
First I want to Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

We appreciate your business and it very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and addressing other issues was very thoughtful and we appreciate your input. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
And again, Thank you.
North Richland Hills, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I reserved a room here based on other reviews and cost. When we arrived, there was no one at the front desk. Another customer was also waiting ahead of us. We then find out there was no elevator and no refrigerator--my fault, I should have checked more closely. I just needed to refrig some cold cuts for lunch the next couple of days. I then find out that their ice machine was not working. There was a heat wave at the time and daily temps were 95 degrees. There was no attempt to repair the ice machine during our 3-day stay. The carpet in our room was also wet from A/C condensation. I was told we would receive a discount, but did not. Upon checking out I told them had dissatisfied I was and they said they would send me a Best Western gift card. 10 days later and it still hasn't arrived. By the way, there seemed to be a dffierent desk clerk every day....and one of them was a mean, old lady. "Breakfast" was also a joke.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
First of all I would like to thank you for the information regarding your recent stay at our property.

I understand you were here during our heat wave and we had trouble with the Ice machine however we did go get bags of ice for our guest. As far as the discount goes, I am sorry I didn't know about that but if you contact me at the hotel I will gladly take care of that for as well.

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!