“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Rochester, United States
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our stay at the Best Western Old town Alexandria was like home away from home. A few blocks up from King street, easy to find , close to everything (between 5 and 10 minutes to national mall) , quiet and relaxing, friendly staff and was able to park right outside the front door for free!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
South England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband I stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn in late July 2013 while we were exploring the DC area. For convenience to public transport and restaurants, it was hard to beat. The main food district is less than a mile down the road, and the metro is less than 2 miles. We walked to both and were perfectly comfortable with the area.

Now the things I've seen others complain about in more negative reviews:
(1) Yes, this inn does NOT have refrigerators. We made this mistake and brought sandwiches with us for the zoo the next day. They ended up going to waste because we had no cool place to put them.
(2) No, the staff don't vanish and/or leave the front desk unmanned. Every time we came in and out, there was a staff member helping other guests or greeting us. When we asked for a bag of ice because their cooler wasn't stocked, they brought a small bag to our room just for us. Very, very helpful and considerate.
(3) Yes, there is NO elevator to the upper floor and if I'm honest I do not recall the front entrance being wheelchair accessible.... There is an elevator down to the free computer access and continental buffet, however.
(4) Yes, the parking is free and it is ample. We pulled up just after supper and there were plenty of spaces. It was such a relief to have worry-free parking!
(5) No, the free continental buffet isn't great. Or special. If you have allergies, dietary issues, or are vegetarian/vegan by choice, there is no option. Me, I'm lactose intolerant, so the assortment of yogurts, cereals with milk, oatmeal, toast, English muffins, and waffles wouldn't do. We ended up walking down the road to the Whole Foods Market and ate breakfast there. Yum!
(6) The area surrounding. In the front of the hotel, you are facing the roadway with a bit of greenery between you and the road. My husband is a light sleeper but we had no problems with noise, and the curtains in the room were more than ample for blocking out the light.
(7) Cleanliness. Good, clean rooms and bathrooms. Fresh linens and no smells. The AC works well too, and there was no "dampness" that another reviewer was commenting on in this same timeframe.

Free wi-fi, a convenient location, easy to get to, helpful staff, and more affordably priced than most hotels in the Alexandria area, we were happy with our stay. It's an older hotel, so don't expect the ritz, but if you're commuting into Washington for any reason, this is a great option!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
First I want to Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

We appreciate your business and it very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and addressing other issues was very thoughtful and we appreciate your input. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
And again, Thank you.
North Richland Hills, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I reserved a room here based on other reviews and cost. When we arrived, there was no one at the front desk. Another customer was also waiting ahead of us. We then find out there was no elevator and no refrigerator--my fault, I should have checked more closely. I just needed to refrig some cold cuts for lunch the next couple of days. I then find out that their ice machine was not working. There was a heat wave at the time and daily temps were 95 degrees. There was no attempt to repair the ice machine during our 3-day stay. The carpet in our room was also wet from A/C condensation. I was told we would receive a discount, but did not. Upon checking out I told them had dissatisfied I was and they said they would send me a Best Western gift card. 10 days later and it still hasn't arrived. By the way, there seemed to be a dffierent desk clerk every day....and one of them was a mean, old lady. "Breakfast" was also a joke.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
First of all I would like to thank you for the information regarding your recent stay at our property.

I understand you were here during our heat wave and we had trouble with the Ice machine however we did go get bags of ice for our guest. As far as the discount goes, I am sorry I didn't know about that but if you contact me at the hotel I will gladly take care of that for as well.

Mechanicsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had reservations to stay at this hotel on a Friday night but at the last minute decided we wanted to stay on Thursday night also since we were less than 2 hours away. I called the hotel on Thursday evening around 6:00 p.m. and asked if we could stay for that night also and the person at the front desk advised that they did have rooms and to come on up. Yes the hotel is older but I believe they are doing what they can to keep it nice. The breakfast was fine and hotel staff was very polite. I had never used a free shuttle but we did this time to get back and forth to the Metro station and that also went fine. I did not hear any planes myself from the airport as some other travelers have stated they heard and I am a very light sleeper. Overall, I felt this hotel was very nice for a 2 or 3 nights stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Few amenities. Breakfast was poor. Cost exorbitant. The constant noise of jets leaving and arriving at the airport is very bad. This motel used to have a very nice complimentary snack room and used to charge almost half the price. The cost has gone up and the quality down. There are other places to stay in the area which provide services and are not on a major airport's flight path.

Portsmouth, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife, two-year old daughter and I arrived at this hotel at around midnight on July 16th. We had flown into Washington D.C. from China and had been traveling for 23 straight hours at the point we reached the hotel. We had booked a reservation at the Old Colony Inn, we had ensured that our room was guaranteed for a late arrival and had reserved a room on the first floor because I have a disability and the hotel does not have an elevator. We had also paid in advance online. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that the hotel was overbooked and that we would have to go somewhere else. We had lots of luggage and were exhausted. So to say that I was very angry goes without saying. For the next hour the receptionist at the hotel worked find us another hotel at which we could stay. Most of the places were booked so she placed us at another Best Western about 20 minutes away in Falls Church, VA. This was a major inconvenience because we had business to do in D.C. and were now staying inconveniently far away. To her credit, the receptionist did cover our taxi charges to the new hotel. It was about 1:30 in the morning when we arrived at the hotel in Falls Church (the Best Western Falls Church Inn), the receptionist was not at the desk so we had to wait for him. At the Falls Church Inn we were told that the room that was reserved for us was on the second floor, that there was no elevator available and that there were no rooms on the first floor available. Why we were given a reservation on the second floor of a room by the lady receptionist at the Old Colony Inn I do not understand. I was standing in front of her for an hour with my cane and with 5 large suitcases. She should have known that the room wouldn't have worked for us, especially as we had requested a first floor room. We went ahead and checked in to the Falls Church Inn, as it was already so late. My wife had to take our two year old daughter up to the room and get her ready for bed. I then had to carry all of our 5 very large suitcases up two flights of stairs to get to our room. The worst part of the whole experience was that the first flight of stairs was in direct view of the reception desk, maybe 15 or 20 feet away. As I struggled to get my bags up the stairs the receptionist just stood at his desk and watched me struggle to get bag after bag up the stairs. I have a leg disability and to have the receptionist not even offer to help was unbelievable and insulting. During the process of checking in I had noticed that I had left my cane at the Old Colony Inn. While I was moving the bags towards the stairs I asked the receptionist if he could call the Old Colony Inn to ask if they could hold my cane for me, so I could pick it up the next day. He obliged, told me that they didn't have the cane (it was eventually found) and then continued to watch me carry all of my bags up two flights of stairs. I could not, and still can't, believe the lack of service provided by your hotel. I don't understand how your hotel chain, whose logo is "stay with people who care", can cancel the reservations of people who have already paid and then have a receptionist stand by and totally ignore the needs of a customer with a disability. It is insulting, rude and unbelievable that any hotel could treat someone in such a way. If I had called that day to cancel my reservation I would have been charged the full stay at the hotel. But you hypocritically hold the right the cancel a hotel reservation at any point, at the benefit to your bottom line and at a cost to your customers. I was not the only person at your hotel to be turned away that night because of this practice. I can not believe that any hotel would treat its customers this way!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Sir:

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I am very sorry for all of the problems you had here at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. Even though I have nothing to do with the Falls Church property, I do apologize for that experience as well. As I explained to you before, there was some miss- communication at our front desk that evening. Yes we were booked but I had already made arrangements for your stay at another hotel downtown where we would provider transportation there and then to bring you back the next day to continue your stay with us. I am sorry that information was not given to you and that is something I took up with my front desk staff since then. She too said she was sorry that she misunderstood the message that was left for her.
Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I do not know how often you travel, but I like I told you, I would like to send you a Best Western Travel Card that is good at any Best Western World wide. Please send me your address so that I can send it to you.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience and show you we are people who care.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I booked this hotel via Hotel.com without prepaying. A couple days before my reservation date, Hotel.com offered an excellent prepaid rate. So I canceled my original reservation and switched to prepaid. That created a bit of confusion with my reservation at the hotel upon my check-in, but they were able to locate my prepaid reservation. The front desk person was very helpful.

My room was what you’d expect at any Best Western hotels, nothing fancy, but I could see they tried to modernize the décor and keep the up-to-date look as best they could with what they have. It’s a comfortable room. Bathroom area where the sink is may be a bit too small for larger people. But overall it’s a decent size room.

I had a nice stay, thanks to front desk staff and housekeeping staff!

Room Tip: There’s no elevator. If you have many luggages and don’t want to carry them upstairs, you may want...