“I usually run from Best Western, glad I "stuck around"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Conway, South Carolina
“I usually run from Best Western, glad I "stuck around"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am from South Carolina and travel at least five times a year throughout the south east. I would NEVER EVER stay at a Best Western Hotel. I usually book rooms at Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites or Courtyard by Marriott. Because of an event in town, those hotels were booked. I needed to reserve at least six rooms immediately. Therefore, I was forces to notice the reviews for Best Western. I don't think I will stay at another Best Western. When I return to the DC area in the fall, I will definitely return to this hotel. It was conveniently located off of 95/495. The employees were extremely helpful in assisting me with directions. Before checking in, I requested rooms on the first floor to assist one of my aunts that has complications with her knees. June, accommodated my family by reserving the other six (6) rooms on the first floor. It has only been one day and I have recommended this hotel to more than four friends that are frequent visitors to the area. My only disappointment was the breakfast. I read a review that it was a "hot breakfast". Unfortunately, it was continental breakfast. This would, definitely, not stop me from returning as a guest !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Kelso, Washington, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was our second stay. We stay here because of the location although the rooms are great and so is the breakfast. We did miss the snack room that they had last time we stayed. The shuttle to the airport and the metro makes it a very convenient place to stay. No need to rent a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a great hotel for people with vehicles who want to be close to the mall in a quiet residential setting. The hotel is fairly intimate, the rooms are spacious and clean & the staff is friendly. The price includes: free parking, Wi-Fi and a descent breakfast. It never took us more than 10 minutes to get to the Mall area. The location is a few blocks from King St, that has shops and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is our second stay at this hotel. The previous stay over a year ago, and we loved it and had a wonderful time. There have been changes and we feel the quality has declined in the last year. They no longer offer the snack kitchen, which was a nice perk, but we understand that it was probably costing far too much to keep it going. That being said, why not turn that room into a vending room with an ice machine?? Trudging up and down those stairs to get ice is very tiring. The breakfast has gone downhill also. The eggs were overcooked so badly, they were not edible. Even the hard boiled eggs were completely dried out. I couldn't eat them. The biscuits and gravy and fresh waffles were the only saving grace for this breakfast. I would suggest stopping the hot food and focus on providing better fresh cold options like bagels, muffins and fresh fruit if this is the best you can do.

The shuttle service is still a great convenience and we used it daily to get to and from the metro and to dinner every night. Even with the negatives, we still think the good outweighs the bad and we would still recommend the hotel and hope that things improve before our next trip.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are unable to climb stairs ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
First I would like to thank you for your comments. You are correct about not offering the snack kitchen anymore. We have undergone new management and we are in the process of making some changes to the hotel. I agree about the eggs, so we have changed brands. I hope you give us another chance and see how nice we turn out. Thank you again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It looks to have a lot of parking space, so if you have a car, I think this would be a great choice for you. If you don't, you will have to rely on shuttle service, which was dependable and the driver was really accommodating, or walk. A LOT. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. The front desk was friendly and helpful.

I deducted a little from the rating just because of the location being inconvenient and because I was put in a room directly behind the front desk, which made it a bit of a loud stay. There is not much to do in the immediate area in terms of convenience stores or shopping or restaurants, but if you go down to King Street, about a 15-20 minute walk, there is plenty of all three. I don't know that I would stay here again, because I'm pretty independent and don't like to wait for and rely on a shuttle to get around, but the hotel itself is fine and was a good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Beds were very comfortable room fairly clean except for dead bugs in bathroom ceiling light. Staff was very friendly. We had a first floor room that was very easy for my mother who can not walk very far. The Handicapped parking was about 20 ft from our door. Breakfast was not the greatest hotel breakfast I have had. Food was not hot and they ran out of eggs.
Also get into HOV lane and don't miss turning right into service road. The hotel is not well marked and easy to miss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I would like to thank you for leaving us a review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I already have housekeeping working on those lights. Thank you for letting me know. Come back and see us again and we will make sure you get some eggs.
Thank you again.

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!