“Great value, close to the Mall” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Boston, MA
“Great value, close to the Mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a great hotel for people with vehicles who want to be close to the mall in a quiet residential setting. The hotel is fairly intimate, the rooms are spacious and clean & the staff is friendly. The price includes: free parking, Wi-Fi and a descent breakfast. It never took us more than 10 minutes to get to the Mall area. The location is a few blocks from King St, that has shops and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is our second stay at this hotel. The previous stay over a year ago, and we loved it and had a wonderful time. There have been changes and we feel the quality has declined in the last year. They no longer offer the snack kitchen, which was a nice perk, but we understand that it was probably costing far too much to keep it going. That being said, why not turn that room into a vending room with an ice machine?? Trudging up and down those stairs to get ice is very tiring. The breakfast has gone downhill also. The eggs were overcooked so badly, they were not edible. Even the hard boiled eggs were completely dried out. I couldn't eat them. The biscuits and gravy and fresh waffles were the only saving grace for this breakfast. I would suggest stopping the hot food and focus on providing better fresh cold options like bagels, muffins and fresh fruit if this is the best you can do.

The shuttle service is still a great convenience and we used it daily to get to and from the metro and to dinner every night. Even with the negatives, we still think the good outweighs the bad and we would still recommend the hotel and hope that things improve before our next trip.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are unable to climb stairs ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
First I would like to thank you for your comments. You are correct about not offering the snack kitchen anymore. We have undergone new management and we are in the process of making some changes to the hotel. I agree about the eggs, so we have changed brands. I hope you give us another chance and see how nice we turn out. Thank you again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It looks to have a lot of parking space, so if you have a car, I think this would be a great choice for you. If you don't, you will have to rely on shuttle service, which was dependable and the driver was really accommodating, or walk. A LOT. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. The front desk was friendly and helpful.

I deducted a little from the rating just because of the location being inconvenient and because I was put in a room directly behind the front desk, which made it a bit of a loud stay. There is not much to do in the immediate area in terms of convenience stores or shopping or restaurants, but if you go down to King Street, about a 15-20 minute walk, there is plenty of all three. I don't know that I would stay here again, because I'm pretty independent and don't like to wait for and rely on a shuttle to get around, but the hotel itself is fine and was a good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Beds were very comfortable room fairly clean except for dead bugs in bathroom ceiling light. Staff was very friendly. We had a first floor room that was very easy for my mother who can not walk very far. The Handicapped parking was about 20 ft from our door. Breakfast was not the greatest hotel breakfast I have had. Food was not hot and they ran out of eggs.
Also get into HOV lane and don't miss turning right into service road. The hotel is not well marked and easy to miss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I would like to thank you for leaving us a review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I already have housekeeping working on those lights. Thank you for letting me know. Come back and see us again and we will make sure you get some eggs.
Thank you again.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was THE worst hotel experience I have ever had. No where, on their site, is there an indication that there wasn't an elevator. My husband has problems with his legs, and this hotel put us in the room farthest from the only entrance that was accessible at night, even though I had requested a first floor room upon booking. When brought to their attention, they were unable to accommodate us. The front desk employees were quite rude as they worked hard at taking reservations on the phone, while I stood at the desk for quite some time, waiting to be checked in. The room was basic.. The plaster was falling off the walls in the bathroom area. The carpeting was tattered and the room smelled of cigarette smoke even though it is a nonsmoking hotel. (See the picture of the wall plaster!) The doors close by themselves and are noisy when they do. Best Western customer service is worthless. Needless to say, I will never stay in a Best Western again... (nor will I recommend one). By the way, we paid $160.00 per night.

Room Tip: Don't go there! Doors slam all night long, NO ELEVATOR, tattered carpeting and plaster falling...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
First of all I would like to tell you again how sorry I am that you had such a bad experience at our hotel. I do apologize for being sold out on the first floor when you arrived and I am also sorry you didn't get our call to move you to a downstairs room the next morning. Thank you for letting me know about the plaster as well so that we can get that fixed right away. It really sounds like you had one of those days when everything went wrong. That is now how we normally operate our hotel so please know how concerned we were when we received your survey. I have taken your issuses to heart and we are looking at ways to improve.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a great stay at the Old Colony Inn. All of the staff were very helpful and caring. The shuttle driver was very informative about the all of the sites in Alexandria. The staff would send out the shuttle whenever we wanted a ride back from Old Town to the Inn, especially during the threat of inclement weather. The morning breakfast was just as good as the Hampton in Patriot's Point, SC and better than the Country Inn & Suites in Akron, OH. We certainly appreciated their housekeeping staff since we forgot two items at the Inn and when we called back the next day, those items were found by housekeeping and kept safe until we returned two days later. We'll certainly stay at the Old Colony Inn next time we come to Alexandria. BTW: I forgot to mention how reasonably priced they are for all that you get: breakfast, shuttle service, wifi, and parking for their normal room rate. Can't get that package anywhere else in Alexandria.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for staying with us during your visit. I am glad we helped make your stay a good one.

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!