“3 without a car, 4 with” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“3 without a car, 4 with”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It looks to have a lot of parking space, so if you have a car, I think this would be a great choice for you. If you don't, you will have to rely on shuttle service, which was dependable and the driver was really accommodating, or walk. A LOT. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. The front desk was friendly and helpful.

I deducted a little from the rating just because of the location being inconvenient and because I was put in a room directly behind the front desk, which made it a bit of a loud stay. There is not much to do in the immediate area in terms of convenience stores or shopping or restaurants, but if you go down to King Street, about a 15-20 minute walk, there is plenty of all three. I don't know that I would stay here again, because I'm pretty independent and don't like to wait for and rely on a shuttle to get around, but the hotel itself is fine and was a good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Beds were very comfortable room fairly clean except for dead bugs in bathroom ceiling light. Staff was very friendly. We had a first floor room that was very easy for my mother who can not walk very far. The Handicapped parking was about 20 ft from our door. Breakfast was not the greatest hotel breakfast I have had. Food was not hot and they ran out of eggs.
Also get into HOV lane and don't miss turning right into service road. The hotel is not well marked and easy to miss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I would like to thank you for leaving us a review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I already have housekeeping working on those lights. Thank you for letting me know. Come back and see us again and we will make sure you get some eggs.
Thank you again.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was THE worst hotel experience I have ever had. No where, on their site, is there an indication that there wasn't an elevator. My husband has problems with his legs, and this hotel put us in the room farthest from the only entrance that was accessible at night, even though I had requested a first floor room upon booking. When brought to their attention, they were unable to accommodate us. The front desk employees were quite rude as they worked hard at taking reservations on the phone, while I stood at the desk for quite some time, waiting to be checked in. The room was basic.. The plaster was falling off the walls in the bathroom area. The carpeting was tattered and the room smelled of cigarette smoke even though it is a nonsmoking hotel. (See the picture of the wall plaster!) The doors close by themselves and are noisy when they do. Best Western customer service is worthless. Needless to say, I will never stay in a Best Western again... (nor will I recommend one). By the way, we paid $160.00 per night.

Room Tip: Don't go there! Doors slam all night long, NO ELEVATOR, tattered carpeting and plaster falling...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
First of all I would like to tell you again how sorry I am that you had such a bad experience at our hotel. I do apologize for being sold out on the first floor when you arrived and I am also sorry you didn't get our call to move you to a downstairs room the next morning. Thank you for letting me know about the plaster as well so that we can get that fixed right away. It really sounds like you had one of those days when everything went wrong. That is now how we normally operate our hotel so please know how concerned we were when we received your survey. I have taken your issuses to heart and we are looking at ways to improve.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a great stay at the Old Colony Inn. All of the staff were very helpful and caring. The shuttle driver was very informative about the all of the sites in Alexandria. The staff would send out the shuttle whenever we wanted a ride back from Old Town to the Inn, especially during the threat of inclement weather. The morning breakfast was just as good as the Hampton in Patriot's Point, SC and better than the Country Inn & Suites in Akron, OH. We certainly appreciated their housekeeping staff since we forgot two items at the Inn and when we called back the next day, those items were found by housekeeping and kept safe until we returned two days later. We'll certainly stay at the Old Colony Inn next time we come to Alexandria. BTW: I forgot to mention how reasonably priced they are for all that you get: breakfast, shuttle service, wifi, and parking for their normal room rate. Can't get that package anywhere else in Alexandria.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for staying with us during your visit. I am glad we helped make your stay a good one.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have been doing my own research regarding hotels in the washington D.C. area, this hotel had the best customer reviews and it was true.
Clean rooms, DVD library and DVD player in room, lots of TV channels, great free breakfast, free wifi, free parking, free shuttle to D.C. (we had a rental car), great customer service and even the opportunity to buy small gifts.
If you don't care for a brand new hotel, but great service with good pricing. This is it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear 5Tuna13,
I am glad you had a chance to stay with us here at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. Yes we do try to have superior customer service and love taking care of our guest. Hope you come back and visit us again the next time you are in town.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days during one of the hottest weeks this spring - temps reached 90 degrees. As other reviewers indicated, this is an older property and is going to have its problems. The AC went out one night but was fixed by the next day. Without asking, we were refunded 1/2 the night's room rate. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was just OK. However, the front desk staff were very helpful in guiding us on where to go shopping and eat. The (free) hotel shuttle was available for almost anywhere we wanted to be taken, which was convenient for the Metro and King Street. Since the high temps were unexpected and we packed for colder weather, one of the drivers offered to take us to a clothing store to get some cooler shirts. Note: If driving in from the South on Washington St., make sure you stay in the far right lane and bear right into the HOV lane when it splits or you won't be able to (legally) turn into the hotel parking lot from Washington. We passed it the 1st time and ended up lost in downtown DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Shelby C, Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during our heat wave. I am so glad that our staff took such good care of you. We hope you enjoyed your time with us and that you come back to visit us soon here at the Best Western Old Colony Inn.
Greeley, Colorado, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Property is older, but true to the history of the area! While our room was comfortable we could hear hallway and outside noises. The shuttle service was amazing! Drivers were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!