“Best WEstern Hotel Review” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Best WEstern Hotel Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The staff was nice and courteous. My only complaint was that I asked for an early AM wake up call and it was not made. My phone was supposed to ring at 5:30 and it did not. Fortunately I woke up on my own to catch my early morning flight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The rooms are average, no frills, no refrigerator in room, old fashioned heaters. We stayed 4 nights in November 2012. A shuttle was always around to take us to the Metro, which is close by, also took us to dinner. Grocery store is only two blocks away. Breakfast was fine. The snacks available in the kitchen were outstanding. It made traveling easier to have snacks ready for you from chips to granola bars to juices an, waters and sodas. I would stay again, the hotel is in good location for visitors to the area. Staff was very nice to us throughout the weekend.

las vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is a decent old place. For an overnight-er, this is a good find. The room is not new but managed to be clean. There's coffee/tea maker in the room, iron and board, blow dryer, and nice channel selection on tv... but the big PLUS, and what everybody is delighted about, is the open kitchen on the second floor. It was really a good thing especially for us when we came in midnight and too tired to go out to grab a bite. The noodles was there to save the night! chips, granola bars, peanuts, coffee, juice, yogurt, ice cream and more nick knacks..for free!
Will do a short stay here again when given the chance.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in November. This is a really nice hotel in a real nice part of town. Very convenient as well as it is located at the end of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. A very easy drive to Arlington National Cemetery. It is also located close to the Braddock Road Metrorail station and they have a shuttle that will drive you there and they picked us up very promptly when we returned from a day of sightseeing. Alexandria is a great town and the hotel is in the older, upscale area of town. it is close to restaurants and a grocery store and a "package store" are a short walk away. The room was large, clean, and really, the location could not be better. For the price we paid, it was a good value for Washington. The breakfast was great and the snack room one of the best I have ever experienced. What really soured me on the experience was the sort of laissez faire attitude about some of the problems we experienced. There was no heat in our room so we had to be moved the first night. I reconfirmed the change of room for the wake-up call, but it never came the next morning. It could have ruined our day, but luckily I awoke about 20 minutes after the original and we made our train to Washington. The next morning the wake-up call came at 4 rather than 5 and I had a 10 hour drive ahead of me. The coffee machine in the snack room ( fantastic snack room) did not work for the entire stay so no coffee. I would have given this hotel a higher rating except for what I perceived to be the uncaring attitude for my troubles. I appreciate there can be snags, but like anything else in life when there are negative consequences - one pays attention. Someone should have offered a discount on the stay or some extra points for all the inconveniences - that would have been good customer service - I am a top tier member of their rewards program - they should have recognized that loyalty to the brand. It was not forthcoming just an "canned" marketing type e-mail thanking us for pointing out the challenges - a very weak response for all our challenges

Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great staff!! Suzanna, the desk clerk, was top notch. She and the shuttle drivers made the stay on outstanding experience. We did not have to drive anywhere. Excellent restaurants were nearby as was the Metro station into DC (round trip tickets were $6.10) and the drivers at the motel were available almost immediately and responded quickly when we called for return pick-up. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the TV was fairly new and some HD channels were available. The variety of free snacks really surprised me (sodas, chips, cookies and much more). The sauna and hot tub were not working but the other equipment in the fitness room worked fine (treadmill, elliptical machine, stair climber and weight machine).

We stayed 3 days and ate breakfast there each day. I was also surprised at the variety of food available for breakfast (scrambled eggs, hash, sausage, waffles, grits, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit and more). The food warmers don't do a very good job, but I was satisfied with the effort.

All in all I think this was a great value.

Anyone concerned about the negative reviews should note that as of 11/18/2012 5 of the 8 poor reviews were over 4 years old. The remaining 3 were from 11 or 19 months old. I'm glad that I disregarded them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Old Colony during the first week of November, 2012. Room was clean, service was great, location could not be better and for the price, at great deal in the Washington area. Breakfast, snack room, shuttle and free parking combined with the friendly staff make the hotel a wonderful value. I certainly would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit the Washington area.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This motel was ideally located in a very nice area of town, only a few stops from the middle of the city by subway. The motel staff organise a shuttle to drop people at the station or the King Street restaurants, and pick up just by a simple phone call. We didn't drive at all for two days. Staff were pleasant, efficient and helpful. Accommodation was standard Best Western. Breakfast was very ordinary - usual powdered scrambled eggs, waffles, minimal everything else. King Street was just magic for eating out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!