“Very, very good.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Kingston, Canada
“Very, very good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

From the outside the hotel doesn't look amazing but as soon as you check in you will see that this hotel is like nowhere else you've stayed. Besides the exceptionally friendly staff, this hotel boasts a snack room (more on this below), FREE breakfast, and a FREE shuttle service.

The snack room is packed full of nearly any snack food that you can think of and it is free to use/eat anything while you are staying at the hotel. The breakfast is warm with the normal stuff including eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, hash browns...etc. The FREE shuttle is available to take you wherever you want from 7AM to 9PM.

The hotel is only two floors but with no elevator so make sure you ask for an accessible room if need be.

Room Tip: The top floor is quieter.
1 Thank Xnient

Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I was driving home and needed a place in the DC area for the night. The reviews were good and the price was very reasonable and the parking was free. This hotel is very hard to find, even with a GPS. You cannot see it from the road. The lady who checked us in was very nice and explained that there was a kitchen upstairs with snacks and that breakfast was served downstairs in the morning. The hotel has no lobby to speak of. We were on the second floor and there is no elevator so we had to lug our luggage up a flight of stairs. Our room was slightly on the small side. The beds were comfy and the furniture was in good shape. The walls were very old fashioned with textured paint. I was unhappy with the bathroom. I can accept an old bathroom but the floor was dirty with hair all over it. The kitchen was very nice. There were all kinds of snacks available and sodas, water and ice cream too. We all appreciated this nice touch. I was amazed when I saw a departing guest fill up his cooler with sodas, water, etc for the road. There is a note that clearly requests that guests not be greedy. Breakfast is included and served downstairs and it was very nice - eggs, meat, bagels, cereals, waffles, etc. The hotel was Ok for a night but I probably wouldn't return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Bayside, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I arrived at the hotel, in the night. My Garmin, and Google maps on my phone, could not find this place. It is located on a road that is parallel to it's address. And, it is not easy to get to that road. The hotel itself is fine. The help is friendly and they take care of their guests. The room was clean, the bedding okay, and they have free internet. There are no restaurants that are close by.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Very satisfied with the hotel, staff, location and price. Only two complaints. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the "hot" breakfast included in the price. Unfortunately, the breakfast was room temp, the "sausage" was what appeared to be hot dogs and there was no coffee!! There was, however, a free snack room which we took full advantage of and there was a pot of coffee there. Hopefully this is not a daily occurrance. The other complaint was that all the rooms on our floor were non-smoking, but there was definitely smoking going on somewhere on the floor - very overpowering. The front desk clerk was exceedingly nice and the bed was very comfy. We'd go again.

Cannes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This could have been a 5 star because of its reasonable price. I gave it 4 only because it is getting a little old but nothing to detract in a big way. The most important thing was the good staff at all levels. The room is large and the beds very comfy. The bathroom is fine but the fixtures are old now. There's a desk in the large room with wifi and ethernet. Both worked fine. The usual flat screen TV. They have a fitness center and biz center if you need printouts. Breakfast is generous and has everything you might want. There's a shuttle service to get to the metro line to DC and local Alexandria attractions, which are not far away. The Best Western chain has been dependable and a good value for us in various locations including Europe. This was no exception. wouldn't hesitate to return and look forward to the minor renovation I believe they will eventually do.

1 Thank getgs
Frederick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Best Western because he had business in Old Town Alexandria. The price--137 dollars--for this area--was terrific, and the hotel served a free breakfast. Also, because I was along to keep him company, they let me stay in the room until one o'clock. This is the first Best Western that I've stayed at that has had a free snack room! Free water bottles, pretzels, trail mix, etc. The room was clean, if old, as was the bathroom, and the bedding was terrific.

The only problem that I had with the place is that there were no close restaurants. I had assumed that there would be some restaurant in close proximity.

The staff was great--helpful, knowledgeable about the area, and low key. The hotel had a shuttle to the Old Town which proved very helpful. I would definitely stay at this place again. Once you get into actual Old Town, the prices double.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I agree with "JoanieO". Bed was very good (very important), room was good, bathroom just adequate. The floors were filthly. My silppers were black on the bottom, the feet of the ironing board were black, and the grout in the bath & sink areas were very dirty except around the edges. At breakfast one morning the manager stopped by and asked about our stay. I conveyed the floor concern and she said that they have quaterly rug cleaning which was coming up. I don't think that explains the grout which should be kept up with every cleaning. I've never had black slippers in any other hotel. It is reasonalby priced, the shuttle service is very convienent, and the snack bar a plus. That being said, I would NOT have small children in this room with those floors.

Room Tip: Upper floor is quieter if you can climp the stairs.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank AngryDonald
bwoldcolony, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I want to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I very much appreciate your feedback, as it is only through the valuable information we receive from you our guest that I can gage how we are doing and continually improve. It was a pleasure to speak with you during breakfast that morning. As I said we do have our carpets cleaned regularly and it is that time again when it is due as I have already had it scheduled to be done. I do appreciate you brining it to my attention as I take every comment seriously and use it to fix issues and to avoid future problems so we can provide all of our guests with superior hospitality. Again, Thank you for taking the time to speak with me and to review the hotel.

Shaunna Grace