“The Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Portland, Oregon
“The Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed here for one night, but would have been very happy to stay for more. It is not a luxury hotel, but that's not what I was looking for. I was looking for three things: a nice, quiet room, a location convenient to DC and Reagan National Airport, and no problems. I got all of this and more. All of the staff were very friendly--and I do mean all, from the front desk staff, to the breakfast minder, to the housekeepers. I checked in around midnight, and the man at the desk carried my two suitcases up to my second-floor room. The next morning I asked for a check-out time a little later than the posted time, and was given it with no hassle. The breakfast was what you would normally get in this kind of hotel--nothing fancy, but a good start to the day. No complaints there. The snack pantry on the second floor was an unexpected (and welcome) bonus. And the only sounds I heard were the ones coming from my room--nothing at all from other rooms or outside. I didn't have any need to use the shuttle, but it was offered. For the price, I cannot overstate how pleased I was with this hotel. If I am in Alexandria again, it won't be hard to decide where to stay. I'll be back at the Old Colony Inn in a second.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We had stayed here 4 years ago and although basic in every way, found it to be most convenient to get to the Metro (using the hotel shuttle) and within fairly easy walking distance from the main area of Alexandria. Now, however, there have been huge improvements..there is a snack bar on the 2nd floor with free beverages, snacks, yoghurt, ice creams etc...we were amazed at the variety of goods they had there. There was a small seating area but as were we virtually next to the snack bar we snacked in our room!! We had to complain on the first night at 11pm as there were some older children playing music and shouting in the area but the night receptionist soon sent them to their rooms and all was well for the rest of the stay. The shuttle will now take you to AND pick you from restaurants in Alexandria centre as well as to and from the Metro. Wonderful service.Our room had all we needed and was clean and comfortable. The staff on reception were so friendly and helpful..our stay was just great.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My senior parents & I just stayed here for 1 night as we had a flight out of Reagan airport the next morning - very convenient lcoation for that, and the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to/from the airport 7am till around 8pm.

Other than the location, the room itself was quite good, and breakfast in a basement breakfast room was provided in the tariff.

Our only negative (and nothing to do with the hotel) is how long it took us to get there. We were coming from central Virginia, and as soon as we hit the northern VA / south DC traffic (admittedly at rush hour Friday night) the traffic was just in gridlock. Their is a lot of major road construction going on, which looks like it will take some time. Suggest you either allow plenty of time or avoid the area altogether by car. Once we got to Alexandria itself it was no problem - it was just getting there - mainly around the Tysons Corner area at the eastern end of the Dulles Toll Road and the I-495 Beltway.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Pros:

Free Parking
Free Breakfast
Free 24/7 snack bar - (free can diet cokes, ginger ale, sprite, root beer, water; free break bars, popcorn)
Free shuttle within 1 mile area of hotel from 7:00 AM until 9:00 PM. This includes the Braddock Street metro (20 minute walk from hotel). Also King Street (lots of food options) is 5 blocks away (shuttle will take you there as well). There are a few nice places to eat slightly West of the hotel off the beaten path, which are an easy 15 minute walk. There is a Potomac River walkway in Alexandria that is 10 minutes from the Hotel, which was nice at night.
Free wireless in the room. The connection worked well our entire stay.

Cons:
No pool or restaurant. The hotel slept well, but the walls into the hallway was thin. People talking outside our door in the early mornings seemed very loud.

Another somewhat negative - If you walk directly to the metro from the hotel, you walk by some low income housing. Not a big deal during the day, but the walk down Madison seemed sketchy at night. In the evening, I would call for the hotel shuttle or get a taxi from the Metro. I did notice the locals walked South when they got off the metro then back North once they got to Washington Parkway (they basically walked a big circle around the ghetto part).

If you need a luxury hotel, you probably won't like this hotel. If you have mobility issues, there are hotels closer to metro stops. If you flew or traveled by train, you may want to look at hotels closer to the metro (this takes the free parking out of the equation).

If you drove to DC and want an economical clean 2-star hotel, then this exceeds expectations and is a fantastic deal for the area. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitehouse, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hotel is great! It is everything they advertise and more. The staff was wonderful.. The shuttle service to the Metro really works. The breakfast is very good. The room was delightful. The well stocked, free 24 hour snacks are a perk matched by no other hotel where I have ever stayed.
The only drawback is that it is not handicapped friendly. No elevator.
If you are visiting the DC area, especially on the weekends, this is the place stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Panama City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

This is an older hotel, but I think that adds to its ambiance. The check in was somewhat difficult with the attendant, but other than that it was nice. They have free snacks upstairs which is awesome. They also have a pretty good breakfast as well as a nice gym. Unfortunately, the hot tub was out of service because that would have felt nice after walking for hours in D.C. They also provide a shuttle service to the Braddock Road Metro Station, but it stops running at 10. However, a cab is only about 9 bucks so it isn't that big of a deal. There is no elevator, but it is only two stories, and I look at it as exercise! Also, there is no wireless internet (which I did not care) because the walls are pure brick and concrete so it would be pointless anyways because the signal could not penetrate the walls. The parking was convenient, and the drive into D.C. was easy (on the last day we drove to Arlington and into D.C). Overall, a really cool and convenient place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Can't say enough at how accommodating the staff was. Shaunna is doing a fantastic job ! How's this : A free shuttle ride to and from the airport ; free ride to and from King
St. a free ride to and from church . And that icredible snack room !!! We have stayed at numerous hotels in our days ( and more expensive ones ) and yet no one compared with all the frree goodies we discovered in that snack room.
The hot breakfast was an added bonus.
Would we return ? No question !!
Maria and Bruno

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!