You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Montross, Virginia
“Some Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Our first impression when pulling up to the front of hotel was not a good one & made us feel we had made a mistake in booking our stay. This bad impression came from seeing many people at the entrance of lobby smoking & many cigarette butts on sidewalk. While unloading our car & waiting to get our luggage into the lobby the air surrounding us was most unpleasant. We read your reviews today & we see this complaint had been made by others before us just a few weeks ago. Obviously nothing has been done about it. Other then that our room was clean & all other areas of the hotel seem to be cared for as a quest would & should expect.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

As a Marriott Premier Credit Card Holder, I do not recommend this Courtyard Marriott. The water was off during a significant portion of the visit and although promised to be compensated, this has yet to occur.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Monica L, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hello Brian M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us. I sincerely apologize about the water issue. We had discovered a pin hole leak that needed to be fixed. Unfortunately, due the age of our hotel rooms are unable to be shut off individually or on different risers. All of out rooms are linked to one and we cannot isolate individual rooms. As a result when we find these leaks we need to shut the water off for the entire building. The time consuming process is really due to having to have the entire buildings pipes drain. The repair usually does not take long.
We try to be very proactive in informing our guests when these issue arise with notices at the front desk, having the information communicated at check in, and ensuring notices are in all of out guest rooms. We try to schedule the shut off for a more convenient time when guests would be leaving. Our recent water shut off was on a Monday morning at 10a.
We did have a plan in place for guests needing to use restroom and shower facilities at our sister property next door to which our complimentary shuttle would be able to take guests back and forth during the time of the shut off.
I also apologize that it seems you were offered compensation and none had been provided to you. Please contact me directly so that I can look into the matter and work to resolve this for you.

703-329-2323
Monica.lynott@marriott.com
Opelika, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. The room was very comfy. Especially good place to stay if you are a Mariotts Reward Member. The parking is very secure. The breakfast bar was really good"

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Hi Cpauburn!

I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! Make sure to come back and see us again!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel was very considerate in regards to honoring our request. We requested an early check in and our room was ready upon arrival. The hotel is extremely clean, it is located near the metro and a variety of restaurants, the shuttle service is prompt and convenient, and the staff is extremely nice. I plan on enjoying the rest of my stay July 19-21, 2014.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello Humblebee4!

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your return on future trips to Alexandria!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Copeland Family Reunion was held at the hotel. Staff was excellent and the facility met all our needs. Meeting rooms were set up both days, shuttle service was provide and staff went out of there way to provide little extras. Guest were please with rooms. Also, Mr. Ynung was the best, anything we needed he would assist. Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014
Monica L, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Good Morning Irving C,
Thank you for the great feedback. It was a pleasure to host the Copeland Family Reunion at the hotel and I am delighted to hear that your guests enjoyed their time here at the Courtyard.
I will certainly pass your kind words along to Mr. Yung. He truly is an asset to our company and team and we are very lucky to have him on our staff.

Best,

Woodbury, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I am a Platinum member of Marriott Rewards and spend nearly 100 nights per year in their properties. During my stay, the boiler failed and I was repeatedly misled by the management about the severity of the issue which resulted in me taking an ice cold shower at the last minute and missing my first meeting. But that is only the beginning...When I wrote to Marriott, all of my correspondence was directed to the manager - Bobby Bellinger. While Bobby apologized for the inconvenience and gave me some Marriott points, he denied "mis-leading" the guests (even though he left two phone messages saying it was a minor issue before admitting it couldn't be fixed) and accused me of verbally assaulting his front desk clerk which I denied to him. But he wrote back to tell me that I was wrong and he was defending his front desk clerk. This has gone on for months before communication from him just stopped. Unprofessional and a completed disgrace to Marriott hospitality. I would NEVER stay at this property again and nearly switched my allegiance to Hilton if it weren't for the normally exceptional Marriott service I get at other locations. There are a lot of hotels near Alexandria/DC and I would never stay at this one!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Monica L, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Good Afternoon Bob S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I apologize about the experience you had at our property back in March and know that you had dealt with our General Manager Bobby.
I can understand where you felt that perhaps the information that you were receiving seemed misleading as two different messages were communicated at that time to our guests. I sincerely know that Bobby was trying to communicate what information we had to our guests and to let them know we were working on the issue. The information was not meant to be misleading.
We had 150 school children all showering early in the morning at the same time as they were departing early. We received communication from several guests that the water was luke warm. We believed that with the high usage at that time, the tanks were unable to heat quick enough due to that. Once our engineer arrived on property we had him investigate the situation. They found that no gas was flowing to both of our boilers. We immediately escalated the issue to the next level engineering team who worked to get the matter resolved.
As we wanted our guests to be informed of our findings and what measures were being taken, a second voicemail was sent out to our guests from Bobby informing them of the update.
As for the interraction with one of our associates, they had identified you to Bobby as the guest who used profanity with them. Based on the information that was presented to him from the associate was the reason that Bobby had mentioned the profanity usage in his email to you when purchasing you the Marriott Rewards. In his email Bobby wrote "I would ask, however, that in the future when such situations arise that you do not treat our team the way you did. Please take your frustrations out with the management team and refrain from calling our associates profane names. Our team is here to help and sometimes the associates you encounter are not the folks that can fix the situation." I know that you did respond denying the incident and Bobby had responded in another email to you that he had confirmed the information with the associate.
Once the issue was escalated a final email was sent to you from Bobby stating "If he is mistaken, then I apologize. It’s a he said he said situation and I’m unable to verify because we do not have voice recording, only video at the front desk. I can assure you my intent was not and is not to slander you, my intent was to let you know that it was not acceptable and that was it.... the information provided to me was clear. This is why I asked for your consideration in future dealing with our staff to have heated discussions with myself or other management, not the team. Again, I cannot confirm what was said as I do not have voice recording so I’ll never know if my associate was mistaken or if you said the words in anger.
I understand you’re upset and the last thing I or anyone wants is to lose an extremely loyal and valuable guest. I can assure you my goal was and is to satisfy you since you were the one affected by the hot water issue. I’d be happy to refund you for the night on top of the purchase of points if this will help maintain your loyalty. Again, I apologize if my associate was mistaken on whom used the profanity with him. The morning was crazy and he could have possibly recalled wrong".
Our staff and Bobby has apologized for the trouble you experienced with the water issue and for any misunderstanding with the information that the associate provided Bobby. We have compensated you with 20,000 points and an additional 1500 points, the points that you would have earned if the reservation was not booked through a third party booking site.
Marriott's Customer Care Department had closed this issue after Bobby's final email, which is why there has been no further communication as our understanding is that we have resolved this. To my understanding there was no further communication from you as to whether you wanted us to contact Expedia to rebate that night in addition to the other compensation that you have been provided. If that is the case please contact me directly at the hotel so that I can process this request for you.
Again, I offer my sincere apologies for your poor experience and for the unpleasant interactions that you had with some of our staff. If the informaiton we want all of our guests to have a wonderful experience and we certainly want to maintain your loyalty to our company. As a Platinum Marriott Rewards member you travel more than 75 nights a year at Marriott brands and ensuring your satisfaction is our top priority. Please let me know what I can do to rectify this matter for you.

703-329-2323
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

On the plus side the hotel is super clean and the front desk staff are excellent..free parking, free wifi and other freebees make this a real value in the DC area for sure...however we had to report several issues to management during our five day stay. A water leak in a room across from ours required giant floor fans to be placed in the hallway outside our room with an electrical cords draped in front of our door. I actually tripped on the cord leaving my room one afternoon. When we reported the issue we were gladly upgraded to a better room but it was across from the laundry so we requested another room and got an even bigger room...unfortunately that room had a broken skylight shade that allowed sunlight to wake us up at 5:30 AM for the rest of our stay. We also were comped with free breakfast for our issues I might add.
Other issues we observed and reported were : an elevator ride in which the car stalled on the 5th floor and the door would not open and eventually went to a floor I did not even want to go to and the fact that hotel patrons and staff smoke cigarettes and cigars right outside the main entry doors and disregard a designated smoking area on the side of the hotel. I reported this to management as we are allergic to tobacco smoke. On the last day of our stay , I request to meet with "Bob" the hotel's GM...and he met with us and we listed our concerns. He suggested that we be comped for two of our days there and we accepted his proactive offer. "Bob" is a involved and hard working management employee that I observed assisting in the Bistro, cleaning tables and furniture to assist his staff. Even though we were faced with several issues we did not expect at a Courtyard...they were promptly addressed. I will stay there again and hope that my luck is better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Monica L, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Good Afternoon Texas Toddness,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced while staying at our hotel. I am glad to hear the Bobby was able to resolve these issues to your satisfaction and regain your trust for our property. He truly is an aset to our company and a great leader for our team.

Warm Regards,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!