“Good location close to Old Town and a great price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Pennsylvania
“Good location close to Old Town and a great price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed here a couple of years ago and liked the location so when Alexandria was in our travel schedule we booked this hotel on the Marriott Web site at a great price as we stayed 3 nights over the weekend. Easy check in, typical Courtyard room. Covered parking round the back of the hotel. Hotel shuttle will take you to the nearest metro stop or to a convenience store. Free wifi and fridge in room. Ate in the bistro one night and the food was pretty good. Only complaint was that the wine was very expensive. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thanks so much for the kind feedback, WeeLuv2Travel2!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I am not a fan or Courtyard's in general. I find Springhill Suites to be a better value, but my company always tries to get a deal, so they bid on Priceline. As a result, I get stuck at places like this and am put in the worst room in the hotel because my company got a great deal. Catch 22!

I was in room 302. My room smelled like body odor and mens cologne from the dollar store. The smell turned my stomach. They ran the machine to remove the smell, but the smell was overwhelming. I was stuck in this room for over a week. I had to have them spray my room every day. The housekeeper felt bad for me and left a bottle of the industrial febreeze in my room.

(PROTIP: If you are a man, please shower - DAILY. And you don't need to put on a gallon of cologne for people to smell you. SHEESH!)

The HVAC unit did not work properly. I requested it be to fixed, but the next day it stopped working properly again. At that point, I just gave up. I had to kick the unit for it to stop running. The room was very cold because the unit had not been installed properly and you could actually here the wind howling through the unit. The logic in the digital thermostat was about to die. Sometimes I couldn't get it to turn off.

The housekeeping staff was great and very sympathetic. They informed me that I got the worst room in the hotel because I got a discount. They showed me better rooms. And they also informed me that I could have requested a microwave for my room. I was told that they only had a microwave in the pantry.

The location is great if you like to be near NOTHING. There are no shops withing walking distance. I am New Yorker, so I'm used to walking everywhere. The closest place to walk is the Eisenhower Metro station. There are no gas stations, mini marts, drug stores, pharmacies, NOTHING in the area.

Parking is free and they have covered parking as well. The gym is small, but well equipped. Wi-fi is fast and reliable.

Here's the thing, I am traveling on business, so treating me like crap is not going to get you my personal business. I would NEVER stay at this Courtyard ever again because I feel like unless I pay the standard rate, I am going to get put in a subpar room that smells like New Dehli in the summertime. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. By screwing me over as a business traveler, you are just sending my business elsewhere. Your company offered a reduced rate and someone took it. Having your staff penalize the traveler for this is preposterous, petty, and pathetic.

Do yourselves a favor, go down the street to the Springhill Suites and get a free breakfast, large gym, awesome rooms with microwave and mini-fridge that smell clean and fresh. Otherwise, take your chance here, Just make sure you REFUSE TO TAKE ROOM 302. You nose and stomach will than you!

Room Tip: Refuse to stay in room 302. It smells of body odor and cheap cologne. The smell is nauseating. The H...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Obviously we did not meet your expectations, nor ours.

In reading your comments the first thing I want to assure you is we did not give you the worst room in the hotel. In fact, you were placed in our largest standard guest room. Room 302 is a corner room which is much more spacious, has windows on 2 sides and looks out over the George Washington Masonic Temple. If in fact one of our team members told you that, I am sorry. They surely misinformed you. Also, we should have relocated your room if we were unable to resolve the odor or PTAC issue. The last thing we want to do is force a guest to stay in a room that is not acceptable.

As for our location, we are near many things. Just across the street from the metro station is Hoffman Center which houses 8 restaurants and a movie theater. While we're not a few blocks from one, we are a short complimentary shuttle ride away from a 7-11 and a Whole Foods as well as about 10 other restaurants. Also, it would only be about a 15 to 20 minute walk should you wish to do so.

Finally, no matter who you are and what rate you have booked, we value your business. I can assure you we have never and will never treat any customer different based on the rate they have booked. We strive to make every guest room and guest experience the same, however we fail sometimes. I truly apologize that this happend to you.
Sun City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We chose to stay at the Courtyard during our Washington, DC, trip because the brand usually provides satisfactory or better service and quality. This location didn't disappoint us. The staff were helpful, friendly and very competent. Checkin was a breeze. The rooms were spacious and decently appointed and maintained. The location by an expressway made it very convenient to drive into Washington and other nearby areas for sightseeing, etc. We'd definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tom, Thank you for your kind feedback! We are very glad to have met your expectations! I hope on your next trip to the area we exceed them!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The courtyard Marriott is a nice place to start your DC adventure. Staff was great. Just a short walk to the Metro. The hotel shuttle is available to take you to theaters, restaurants, and shopping. The hotel bistro and market are great places for light or late night snacks.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind feedback! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay in Alexandria, VA!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I've just spent a couple of nights at this hotel and overall it was a pleasant enough stay.

The hotel in general was good and looked as if it is well maintained. Most of the staff were polite and went out of their way to be helpful, the exception being the member of staff behind the bar on both nights of my stay who was bordering on rude and seemed to work at a snails pace. The drink prices also seem a little steep.

My room (501) was very comfortable and well maintained. The only real issue I had was the noise from the freeway immediately outside. While this no doubt makes it easy to find, it does make it a little inconvenient when it comes to getting a decent night sleep.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and wouldn't be put out if my company's travel desk booked me here again although I think I might prefer a more central location where any increase in noise is balanced by being nearer the centre of Alexandria.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kishore, thank you for the kind feedback regarding your stay! We look forward to you staying with us again!
Fuquay Varina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We found the Courtyard Marriott in Alexandria to have very helpful and friendly staff, a great shuttle to the Metro and to Old Town Alexandria, and comfortable accommodations. They offered to provide a small refrigerator in the room - which was a great help for our breakfast. We really enjoyed this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked to be on the other side of the interstate traffic... and it was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Carol K -

Thank you so much for your great feedback! We look forward to seeing you again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Woke up at 4:30am on 10-16-13 and had bites on my arms and back. I caught one of the bed bugs and placed it in a glass on the bed that happened to have a residue of water in it.

I called to the front desk and informed them of the problem and was told that ECOLAB would be there at 6 to check the room. A very nice employee took photos if my bites and the bug in the glass and brought it down to show the manager.

At first I was treated kindly by the hotel staff and the management. I asked if they could arrange for a one day earlier stay at my connecting hotel Gaylord national, and I was told no they were booked.

I was out in a different room and waited until 8:30 am when I was called by front desk and they said the ECOLAB company checked my room and there was no evidence of bugs whatsoever and the "one bug I brought with me was dead!"

So essentially this hotel suggested that I brought a bed bug with me, placed it in my bed and then let it bite me on both arms and my back (I have pictures and so does the hotel of my welts), and then after that I'm being accused of placing the "one big I brought with me" into a glass with water in it and it being dead is proof there is no bed bug infestation.

This hotel manager Bobby Bellenger proceeded to stiff arm us and refused to have al out clothes and possessions santized and professionally cleaned of parasitic bed bugs, and also refused to refund us our money for our stay. Thankfully Amex will take care of us.

dont stay at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear RenoNative36 -

I wanted to take a moment to respond to you again regarding your stay with us. As I stated on the phone, through our email correspondence and in person all compensation for this incident was contingent upon the Ecolab investigation.

Ecolab is a state certified independent contractor that investigates thousands of bed bug claims throughout the US. When we were notified at 4:30am of the possible bed bug issue we immediately called Ecolab. Our team stated that Ecolab begins work at 6am, not that they would arrive at 6am. I personally told this to you on 2 separate occasions.

The specialist who arrived at our hotel did a full tear down of the guest room with me present and concluded that there was no activity in the guest room. Not that there was no activity of live bed bugs, not that there was minor evidence ... that there was zero activity in the guest room. This result is not something they provide lightly as we expect them to be brutally honest with us so that we protect our asset and our guests.

When the Ecolab specialist did provide this information to us there was no need for us to move forward with compensating you for cleansing of your clothing, etc.

I can completely understand your concern and your frustration as you awoke and found bites on your body. I cannot tell you where they came from, but I can tell you that per the Ecolab report, the bites were not caused by bed bugs in your guest room.

Finally, I can assure you that we were not accusing you of bringing the bed bug in with you. My email to you was to let you know that bed bugs travel very easily via suit cases and that the bug you provided very well could have come in that way.

We take bed bugs very seriously and that is why I took your call at 4:30am and then came to the hotel directly to investigate the situation. Fortunately no evidence was found by the independent state certified specialist, Ecolab.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!