“Excellent option to sightsee DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #26 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Fuquay Varina
“Excellent option to sightsee DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We found the Courtyard Marriott in Alexandria to have very helpful and friendly staff, a great shuttle to the Metro and to Old Town Alexandria, and comfortable accommodations. They offered to provide a small refrigerator in the room - which was a great help for our breakfast. We really enjoyed this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked to be on the other side of the interstate traffic... and it was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hello Carol K -

Thank you so much for your great feedback! We look forward to seeing you again!

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Woke up at 4:30am on 10-16-13 and had bites on my arms and back. I caught one of the bed bugs and placed it in a glass on the bed that happened to have a residue of water in it.

I called to the front desk and informed them of the problem and was told that ECOLAB would be there at 6 to check the room. A very nice employee took photos if my bites and the bug in the glass and brought it down to show the manager.

At first I was treated kindly by the hotel staff and the management. I asked if they could arrange for a one day earlier stay at my connecting hotel Gaylord national, and I was told no they were booked.

I was out in a different room and waited until 8:30 am when I was called by front desk and they said the ECOLAB company checked my room and there was no evidence of bugs whatsoever and the "one bug I brought with me was dead!"

So essentially this hotel suggested that I brought a bed bug with me, placed it in my bed and then let it bite me on both arms and my back (I have pictures and so does the hotel of my welts), and then after that I'm being accused of placing the "one big I brought with me" into a glass with water in it and it being dead is proof there is no bed bug infestation.

This hotel manager Bobby Bellenger proceeded to stiff arm us and refused to have al out clothes and possessions santized and professionally cleaned of parasitic bed bugs, and also refused to refund us our money for our stay. Thankfully Amex will take care of us.

dont stay at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear RenoNative36 -

I wanted to take a moment to respond to you again regarding your stay with us. As I stated on the phone, through our email correspondence and in person all compensation for this incident was contingent upon the Ecolab investigation.

Ecolab is a state certified independent contractor that investigates thousands of bed bug claims throughout the US. When we were notified at 4:30am of the possible bed bug issue we immediately called Ecolab. Our team stated that Ecolab begins work at 6am, not that they would arrive at 6am. I personally told this to you on 2 separate occasions.

The specialist who arrived at our hotel did a full tear down of the guest room with me present and concluded that there was no activity in the guest room. Not that there was no activity of live bed bugs, not that there was minor evidence ... that there was zero activity in the guest room. This result is not something they provide lightly as we expect them to be brutally honest with us so that we protect our asset and our guests.

When the Ecolab specialist did provide this information to us there was no need for us to move forward with compensating you for cleansing of your clothing, etc.

I can completely understand your concern and your frustration as you awoke and found bites on your body. I cannot tell you where they came from, but I can tell you that per the Ecolab report, the bites were not caused by bed bugs in your guest room.

Finally, I can assure you that we were not accusing you of bringing the bed bug in with you. My email to you was to let you know that bed bugs travel very easily via suit cases and that the bug you provided very well could have come in that way.

We take bed bugs very seriously and that is why I took your call at 4:30am and then came to the hotel directly to investigate the situation. Fortunately no evidence was found by the independent state certified specialist, Ecolab.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here because we got a good price. It is not near anything - everything is driving distance. If you are looking to stay walking distance from Old Town, do not stay here. They have a free shuttle.

The tv was not in good working order - it was very dim. We complained about it and were told it would be replaced but it was not.

I'd call this hotel average at best. I may stay here again if the price was right, since this tends to be an expensive area. Or I might just try another Marriott down the street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello Clubnev -

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us. First, let me apologize for the issue with your TV. I'll try and track down which room you were in so we can get the issue properly resolved. Our team is usually really tuned into our guest's needs and we obviously dropped the ball here.

Also, I'm so sorry that you felt our hotel was so far from the things you wanted to do! Our hotel is conveniently located .2 miles from the Eisenhower Metro Station which gives our guests easy access to Washington, DC and Old Town Alexandria (Via the free City of Alexandria King Street Trolley). We also offer a free shuttle to the metro and the surrounding restaurants and shops on the Eisenhower Corridor. There are several restaurants located just across from the Eisenhower Metro Station as well as a movie theater.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit to Alexandria!
Richmond, Virginia

GM Bobby [--]
703.329.2323 Ext. 6601
Bobby.[--]@Marriott.Com
Stay- 7th and 8th
On 10/8/2013 ‘Someone’ entered our room while we were out. Upon return a bloody Kotex was noticed lying on the sink counter of the bathroom next to my toothbrush and ALL of my wife’s make-up.
My wife summoned two housekeeping associates from the hall and showed them the bloody Kotex and was met with accusatory stares of disgust. One then removed and flushed the bloody Kotex.
My wife called the front desk and explained the situation. The front desk attendant said she would have the manager call us.
Ten minutes later the housekeeping supervisor knocked on the door and asked my wife to show her the bloody Kotex. She explained the associate flushed it. “Sorry for the inconvenience.”
Thirty minutes later my wife and I went to the front desk to speak with the manager. The attendant explained that the manager was in a meeting regarding this situation. We would have to wait.
Monica? Half-heartedly apologized and offered to” buy us dinner”. No. “Cocktails”, no. Breakfast? What else could we do? I was disgusted and we went to the room. NO-ONE had offered to clean! I asked!
As we were leaving I asked to speak to the manager again. I explained we were not satisfied and I would like to take up the matter with someone else. She gave us a card, Bobby [--]. I could not reach him.
I called customer care. The person I spoke with wanted my Marriott Rewards number. I asked if it was needed to file a complaint. I asked to speak to a supervisor.
The customer-care supervisor noted my complaint and said she would notify the Hotel’s General Manager. She took my contact information so the manager could call me. (My cell phone)He did not.
On 10/9/2013 At 3:29 A.M. I awoke and went to the bathroom. A piece of paper was on the floor. This was a notification that $1.60 was charged to our card. (My attempts to call Mr. [--])

Around 8:45 we went to have the Breakfast the night manager had offered us. A menu was offered with our Limited options. I had a brown banana and my wife had a bowl of cereal.
We went to the front desk and asked for Mr. [--], who ‘talked’ to us in lobby. He took a phone call during our conversation. Mr. [--] said he was willing to comp. one night’s stay. We would not have stayed two nights had we had other options.
My wife asked for the entire amount. Mr. [--] declined. I asked if he wanted his name attached to this incident. He replied, “I’m comfortable with that.”
We have travelled extensively all over the world, including developing nations. Never have we been more disgusted nor have we been treated so badly. We were assured that housekeeping staff did not use the rooms' bathrooms, but we have seen irrefutable evidence to the contrary.
Not only will we not stay at this Marriott again, we will certainly explore every available option before choosing to stay at any Marriott property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Curl1 –

Thank you again for your comments to our staff and here on Trip Advisor. As we said previously, all feedback is welcomed and helpful. We are very serious about enhancing each guest’s stay and resolving any issues. We are truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

When these claims were brought to our attention, we immediately investigated. As a prudent measure, we will always question any guest and associate involved so that we may learn more about the facts and move towards a satisfactory resolution. Due to our numerous conversations about the concerns that were brought to our attention, we offered fair compensation despite our inability to verify your claims through our investigation. We are truly sorry that this did not meet your expectations.

We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the future so that you will have an exceptional experience as noted by several other Trip Advisor reviews.

Thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Courtyard on Eisenhower for 4 nights. The hotel is typical for Courtyard. Lobby and restaurant/bar are nice but pricey. No restaurants are conveniently close so you are stuck with the selections and overpriced bar. A few dining establishments are walkable - across the bridge east. The bed was comfy and the hotel staff were extremely pleasant. A shuttle is available for local transportation including to the metro. Parking and wifi are free - which is worth a lot! We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello HappyValley1000 -

Thank you so much for your kind review. Our team strives to provide the best possible customer experience for each and every guest, and it seems we hit a home run with you!

I did want to let you know that along with the restaurants located just .2 miles away at the Hoffman Center (Also accessible by our hotel shuttle) there are also many restaurants located near the hotel on King Street and in Old Town Alexandria. Our hotel shuttle can take you to the Eisenhower Metro stop and you take the yellow line one stop to King Street where there is a free City of Alexandria King Street Trolley that will take you into Old Town or where ever you'd like to go on King Street. I hope you'll check it out next time you’re in town!

Thank you for your great feedback!
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

An inexpensive way to visit DC, and old town Alexandria while not giving up comfort. Very friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms. I only wish Courtyard had free breakfast, and beverages like most of the other Marriott's in the chain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello AKjazzj -

Thank you so much for your great feedback regarding your stay with us.

While we do not offer "free" breakfast as other Marriott hotels do, we do offer our breakfast included rates. These rates are typically comparable to those of our sister hotels rates that include a free breakfast.

Thanks again for your great feedback!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Fairly average Courtyard which means good rooms. The beds are comfortable enough although I have awaken both mornings with a little pain in my artificial hip. The bathroom is big enough. Breakfast like in all Courtyards are pay as you go. They do serve Starbucks. I paid $131 plus tax. In DC area that is not too bad.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello Brackjr -

Thank you so much for your great feedback regarding your stay! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to DC!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!