“Friendliest staff ever!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Tampa, FL
“Friendliest staff ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Not the nicest Courtyard ever but the staff must be the friendliest. I've stayed at this property 4-5 times this year and had a good experience every time. Close to I-95, close to restaurants of old Alexandria. Close to metro if you're in town as a tourist and don't have a vehicle.

Would like to see some upgrades to A/C in the future, as well as better selection in their pantry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi RobertaJ! First, my team and I truly appreciate the kudos! We work very hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay.

We are working very hard on the HVAC systems in the building and guest rooms. Unfortunatley with mechanical equipment sometimes things break even after we have checked the rooms. We hard at work trying to correct issues BEFORE our guests arrive.

I'd love to hear more about your ideas for our pantry.... are you reffering to the Market or our Bistro Restaurant?

Thanks again for the great review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

They use some kind of air freshener that's so strong. Gross. The room had a funky, urine and air freshener smell. I was so tired, I checked to see if the bed smelled and when i determined it was ok, i just slept and left the next day. I would not want to spend more than that there. If you had any allergy issues, you'd be in trouble. The hotel is close enough to the metro. No free coffee in the morning. Outrageously priced cafe food...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hi CarolineMcMuffin -

We are very aware of the odor issue in some of our guest rooms and are working very hard to rectify the cause of the odor versus just fixing the odor smell itself. Unfortunately, its a random issue through the hotel and we don't catch it all the time.

We have a very aggressive plan in place to rectify the cause and hope that it is fixed ASAP!

Thank you again for your very valuable feedback!
Winter Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We are checking out from a five night stay at this Courtyard. We tend to like the Courtyard and normally always try to stay at one if we have a choice. The staff at this Courtyard are a friendly bunch of people. Every interaction with them was pleasant. The lobby, Bistro, and rooms are very clean. The bathroom is a decent size and the counter is large which is great for spreading out or if multiple people are trying to get ready at once. This hotel is conveniently located to the Metro and the hotel offers a shuttle if you don't want to walk. The bad part is that the rooms had a distinct smell. The first room we had was overpowering in this smell which is hard to describe but very unpleasant. The second room seemed better but after awhile the smell was in this new room as well, although it was never as bad as the first room. I believe it is coming from the A/C but I don't know that for sure. We noticed that the A/C unit near the parking elevator had some sort of air freshener stuffed inside which killed the smell there but get in the elevator and there it is again so it is throughout the hotel. My husband asked for housekeeping to spray the room the next day (they did offer to come that night but he preferred they just do it during the normal cleaning process) and I can't say if it was done or not as the smell persists. We finally stopped and bought Febreze and resolved the problem by spraying the room when we came in each night. The beds are not as comfortable as some of the other Courtyards we have been to and the hotel is located right along the interstate so you will hear traffic noise. We were next door to a housekeeping room and were told this was a service elevator (I believe) and there would be no problems. I had concerns after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. On the weekends we never heard the housekeeping staff but saw them in the halls when we would leave our room. During the weekdays they are definitely noticeable starting at 8am. Noise carries in this hotel and whether or not they really were talking loud it sure seemed like it. While this hotel cannot change some things that are out of its control - like the traffic noise, which we got used to - it needs to do something about the smell that is in its hotel and training housekeeping staff to use "inside voices" especially before 9am.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Scoobysmom2003 -

Thank you for your very valuable feedback. I know my team truly appreciates the kudos as they work very hard to ensure every guest enjoys their stay!

We are very aware of the odor issue that is in some of our guest rooms and public areas. We are working very hard to fix the cause of the issue versus just neutralizing the odor when it arises. I am embarrassed that you had to purchase Febreeze to remedy the issue yourself.

Also, we have addressed the level of voices with our housekeeping department. Hopefully this issue is fixed and our guests will not have this issue moving forward. Also, to fix the door slamming issue we are installing door closers on all the housekeeping closet doors!

Thank you again for staying with us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came here from a Residence Inn, and am shocked by the contrast. The air conditioner is ancient, loud and smelly, the hallway is filled with the sound of a loud icemaker, the bed headboard is filthy, and there are ugly wires visible behind the desk that you can't miss when watchint TV. No fridge, no microwave--just this smelly air. The carpetting is ugly and the curtain doesn't work. Oh, and all the men on the desk staff were picking on the woman who was working when I walked in.

Oh, by the way, the cable tv just went out.

Room Tip: You have two choices: a balcony room that is miserably loud because of the icemaker, or a regular ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hello TravelthruEurope -

I truly appreciate your valuable feedback. Our hotel is very different from a Residence Inn as we cater specifically to the business traveler. Residence Inn Hotels caters specifically to guests traveling for 7 nights or longer and thus have the full kitchen, etc.

Having said that, some of the issues you described are unacceptable and I am sorry for that.

Our air conditioners are only 6 years old, while they are not the newest, they are about half way through their life expectancy. Some of them do need repair from time to time and I am sorry that we did not fix yours before your arrival. As for the cleanliness of the headboard and the wires behind the desk, you're right.... unacceptable!

As for the odor, we are working very hard to rectify the direct cause of the odor versus just fixing the odor. I truly apologize that you had to endure a room with this odor. Also, because we do not have kitchens in every room we have to provide ice machines on every floor. We are looking into adding timers to them so that they will cut off at a certain time at night and then turn back on as to not bother our guests.

As for the cable, I'm not sure when you stayed with us, but if there was a major storm in the area it is possible for the cable feed to go in and out as it is a satellite feed. Again, I am truly sorry.

Thank you!
New york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend and were very pleased. Rooms are fairly large, clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Free shuttle bus to the Metro station was great since, we used it very often.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much, PYCASTORIA! Enjoy your summer!
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed with a small school group and this hotel was perfect for our needs. Just a block away from the Eisenhower Metro Station w/Shuttle if needed. Bistro offered a great selection of breakfast choices for a fair price. Rooms were clean and spacious! Free parking is an added bonus. Will certainly stay here again! Thanks to a wonderful staff for making our trip perfect!

Room Tip: Our room faced the Interstate and it was a non-issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We're ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us, TarHeelsareBest! Have a super summer!
St Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I planned a vacation to DC. We figured the hotel wouldn't be an issue because we just needed a place to sleep and shower. We chose this hotel because of it's convenient location to the Metro. From the moment we opened the door to our room, we were disappointed. It was an extremely small room crammed full of furniture. We opened the curtains to our balcony to be treated to a view of the skylights for the hotel lobby and a facade. Oh well, we were just here to sleep and shower. The mattress was horribly uncomfortable. Being in mattress sales, I pulled the sheets back to find what we call 'the mother-in-law' mattress. The cheapest type you can buy. It had an antiquated coil system, that gives you the feeling of sleeping on a chain link fence. Tossing and turning all night and the noise from the ice maker across the hall, left us sleep deprived. We are 2nd shift workers, so or sleep schedule is 1 to 9. Not possible here since the housekeeping staff started vacuuming at 8am. We got up to shower and start our day. My husband was treated to a cold shower. We called down to the desk, and they sent up the maintenance man. He checked it out, replaced a part, declared it fixed, and told us the hot water was being used by housekeeping which is why it was not hot. I tried to shower and the temperature fluctuated between ice cold and scolding hot. My shower at home is required to have a regulator to prevent this, why wasn't theirs? This went on for 3 days, and we had finally had enough. We asked to be moved. The desk clerk said OK. When we came back from a day of sightseeing, we waited in line behind a man checking in for 4 rooms. We decided to dump our stuff and start packing to move. When we finally made it to the clerk we were told there were no more rooms. However, the manager on duty informed us that because of all the complaints, the engineering staff was called and had found a defective part affecting the whole property. Who knows for how long. That night we were treated to the joyful sound of teenagers running the halls. The staff was friendly, the location convenient, the stay was miserable. The only bright spot was AJ. He is a customer service superstar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Lisa O!

All I can say is ... WOW! You certainly did not have the stay that myself or my team expect you to have. I am truly sorry that I was not aware of your situation while you were on property as I would have loved to have taken are of the issue then.

I can assure you that our mattresses are not the cheapest that can be purchased as Marriott demands certain minimum standards. However, are mattresses are a mix of a foam and spring technology. Some of our mattresses obviously get used more than others and we have to be more aware of this issue. I will be addressing this issue with our engineering team to ensure that if the mattress is truly damaged that we replace it.

As for the water fluctuation, this truly was something that came out of no where. We have located the issue and are in the process of repairing it. It unfortunately is a larger issue that requires a large part to be replaced.

The last thing you want to deal with on vacation is an issue with your hotel room, and for this I truly apologize! I'm so glad that AJ was able to brighten your stay a bit while you were here.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!