“Good and bad at this Courtyard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Winter Springs, Florida
“Good and bad at this Courtyard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We are checking out from a five night stay at this Courtyard. We tend to like the Courtyard and normally always try to stay at one if we have a choice. The staff at this Courtyard are a friendly bunch of people. Every interaction with them was pleasant. The lobby, Bistro, and rooms are very clean. The bathroom is a decent size and the counter is large which is great for spreading out or if multiple people are trying to get ready at once. This hotel is conveniently located to the Metro and the hotel offers a shuttle if you don't want to walk. The bad part is that the rooms had a distinct smell. The first room we had was overpowering in this smell which is hard to describe but very unpleasant. The second room seemed better but after awhile the smell was in this new room as well, although it was never as bad as the first room. I believe it is coming from the A/C but I don't know that for sure. We noticed that the A/C unit near the parking elevator had some sort of air freshener stuffed inside which killed the smell there but get in the elevator and there it is again so it is throughout the hotel. My husband asked for housekeeping to spray the room the next day (they did offer to come that night but he preferred they just do it during the normal cleaning process) and I can't say if it was done or not as the smell persists. We finally stopped and bought Febreze and resolved the problem by spraying the room when we came in each night. The beds are not as comfortable as some of the other Courtyards we have been to and the hotel is located right along the interstate so you will hear traffic noise. We were next door to a housekeeping room and were told this was a service elevator (I believe) and there would be no problems. I had concerns after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. On the weekends we never heard the housekeeping staff but saw them in the halls when we would leave our room. During the weekdays they are definitely noticeable starting at 8am. Noise carries in this hotel and whether or not they really were talking loud it sure seemed like it. While this hotel cannot change some things that are out of its control - like the traffic noise, which we got used to - it needs to do something about the smell that is in its hotel and training housekeeping staff to use "inside voices" especially before 9am.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello Scoobysmom2003 -

Thank you for your very valuable feedback. I know my team truly appreciates the kudos as they work very hard to ensure every guest enjoys their stay!

We are very aware of the odor issue that is in some of our guest rooms and public areas. We are working very hard to fix the cause of the issue versus just neutralizing the odor when it arises. I am embarrassed that you had to purchase Febreeze to remedy the issue yourself.

Also, we have addressed the level of voices with our housekeeping department. Hopefully this issue is fixed and our guests will not have this issue moving forward. Also, to fix the door slamming issue we are installing door closers on all the housekeeping closet doors!

Thank you again for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came here from a Residence Inn, and am shocked by the contrast. The air conditioner is ancient, loud and smelly, the hallway is filled with the sound of a loud icemaker, the bed headboard is filthy, and there are ugly wires visible behind the desk that you can't miss when watchint TV. No fridge, no microwave--just this smelly air. The carpetting is ugly and the curtain doesn't work. Oh, and all the men on the desk staff were picking on the woman who was working when I walked in.

Oh, by the way, the cable tv just went out.

Room Tip: You have two choices: a balcony room that is miserably loud because of the icemaker, or a regular ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hello TravelthruEurope -

I truly appreciate your valuable feedback. Our hotel is very different from a Residence Inn as we cater specifically to the business traveler. Residence Inn Hotels caters specifically to guests traveling for 7 nights or longer and thus have the full kitchen, etc.

Having said that, some of the issues you described are unacceptable and I am sorry for that.

Our air conditioners are only 6 years old, while they are not the newest, they are about half way through their life expectancy. Some of them do need repair from time to time and I am sorry that we did not fix yours before your arrival. As for the cleanliness of the headboard and the wires behind the desk, you're right.... unacceptable!

As for the odor, we are working very hard to rectify the direct cause of the odor versus just fixing the odor. I truly apologize that you had to endure a room with this odor. Also, because we do not have kitchens in every room we have to provide ice machines on every floor. We are looking into adding timers to them so that they will cut off at a certain time at night and then turn back on as to not bother our guests.

As for the cable, I'm not sure when you stayed with us, but if there was a major storm in the area it is possible for the cable feed to go in and out as it is a satellite feed. Again, I am truly sorry.

Thank you!
New york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend and were very pleased. Rooms are fairly large, clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Free shuttle bus to the Metro station was great since, we used it very often.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much, PYCASTORIA! Enjoy your summer!
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed with a small school group and this hotel was perfect for our needs. Just a block away from the Eisenhower Metro Station w/Shuttle if needed. Bistro offered a great selection of breakfast choices for a fair price. Rooms were clean and spacious! Free parking is an added bonus. Will certainly stay here again! Thanks to a wonderful staff for making our trip perfect!

Room Tip: Our room faced the Interstate and it was a non-issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We're ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us, TarHeelsareBest! Have a super summer!
St Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I planned a vacation to DC. We figured the hotel wouldn't be an issue because we just needed a place to sleep and shower. We chose this hotel because of it's convenient location to the Metro. From the moment we opened the door to our room, we were disappointed. It was an extremely small room crammed full of furniture. We opened the curtains to our balcony to be treated to a view of the skylights for the hotel lobby and a facade. Oh well, we were just here to sleep and shower. The mattress was horribly uncomfortable. Being in mattress sales, I pulled the sheets back to find what we call 'the mother-in-law' mattress. The cheapest type you can buy. It had an antiquated coil system, that gives you the feeling of sleeping on a chain link fence. Tossing and turning all night and the noise from the ice maker across the hall, left us sleep deprived. We are 2nd shift workers, so or sleep schedule is 1 to 9. Not possible here since the housekeeping staff started vacuuming at 8am. We got up to shower and start our day. My husband was treated to a cold shower. We called down to the desk, and they sent up the maintenance man. He checked it out, replaced a part, declared it fixed, and told us the hot water was being used by housekeeping which is why it was not hot. I tried to shower and the temperature fluctuated between ice cold and scolding hot. My shower at home is required to have a regulator to prevent this, why wasn't theirs? This went on for 3 days, and we had finally had enough. We asked to be moved. The desk clerk said OK. When we came back from a day of sightseeing, we waited in line behind a man checking in for 4 rooms. We decided to dump our stuff and start packing to move. When we finally made it to the clerk we were told there were no more rooms. However, the manager on duty informed us that because of all the complaints, the engineering staff was called and had found a defective part affecting the whole property. Who knows for how long. That night we were treated to the joyful sound of teenagers running the halls. The staff was friendly, the location convenient, the stay was miserable. The only bright spot was AJ. He is a customer service superstar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Lisa O!

All I can say is ... WOW! You certainly did not have the stay that myself or my team expect you to have. I am truly sorry that I was not aware of your situation while you were on property as I would have loved to have taken are of the issue then.

I can assure you that our mattresses are not the cheapest that can be purchased as Marriott demands certain minimum standards. However, are mattresses are a mix of a foam and spring technology. Some of our mattresses obviously get used more than others and we have to be more aware of this issue. I will be addressing this issue with our engineering team to ensure that if the mattress is truly damaged that we replace it.

As for the water fluctuation, this truly was something that came out of no where. We have located the issue and are in the process of repairing it. It unfortunately is a larger issue that requires a large part to be replaced.

The last thing you want to deal with on vacation is an issue with your hotel room, and for this I truly apologize! I'm so glad that AJ was able to brighten your stay a bit while you were here.
Nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am a lifetime Platinum member so I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels.

When I checked in here and went to my room, I called down to express my concern that the room was right next to the housekeeping room and I was concerned about the noise. I was assured that they are not in there and there would be no problem.

For the first two nights, it was fine. Tonight, it sounds like someone is moving furniture next door to me. I called, I think five times, and was told that it would stop-- that the people using what was a "service elevator" would be gone soon. Several calls and 90 minutes later the sound continued and nobody called me back, so I finally got dressed and walked downstairs.

The front desk manager said he could go up there and listen, but as I pointed out, he is welcome to do so, but I need the sound stopped, not confirmed.

He then wanted to look up the timing of my first call when I checked in. It seemed important to him to confirm that I called about the sound when I arrived. (I hope he found it because he stopped talking to me and just searched and searched.)

He said they had no other rooms and he could not guarantee the noise would stop.

His focus seemed to be on searching for a record of my past calls and making down my current complaint... and he typed a lot. ;-)

I don't yell or swear, but I expressed my deep disappointment. Actually, I am disappointed enough to take the time to write this review, and I just about never do that.

Hotels know where the noisy rooms are. Everyone knows that. And, they don't generally put us frequent "stayers" in those room (not that they should put anyone in there). But, when you call and ask, let's at least be honest.

And it is midnight as I write this... and there is the rumbling sound again.

So, you get the point...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear travel195409 –

I really wish I had been able to speak to you before you left, however, the information was passed on to me after your departure. First, I’d like to apologize that you experienced the issue that you did last night. The last thing we want for any guest, especially a Platinum, is for them to have a sleepless night.

I personally went to your room and sat in the room for nearly 45 minutes hoping to hear what it was that was making the noise you heard. I was unable to hear any noise other than the sound of the exhaust fan in your guest room.

After seeing your review on Trip Advisor I also realized that this issue may have happened at the beginning of your stay. I had our engineering team working on another issue today and when I mentioned your situation things clicked. The noise you heard was the hot water booster pump above your room malfunctioning. Earlier in the week we had a few guests complain about water temperature fluctuations… when the investigated further today they found the booster pump had come apart and there were metal pieces rattling and making very loud noise. We have replaced this part and the sound you heard has been repaired.

I truly am sorry that you had this experience and hope that you’ll give us another shot next time you’re in the area.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I only stayed here one night. First, the positives:
--room very clean
--free parking
--nice front desk staff
--large lobby area for sitting, etc.
--large rooms
--wi-fi worked well

Now, the bad:
--not a ton of parking, and there were 2 air force trucks with trailers taking up most of the parking during my stay
--super thin walls - could hear the ppl next door talking loudly at 2am
--ice machine across the hall...dropped ice all night long
--bed hard as a rock
--housekeeping door directly across from my room and they started making lots of noise at an ungodly hour
--the AC was finicky - wouldn't always come on when it needed to and the room get really stuffy when it is off...then there is the terrible smell that comes from it when it is on

I was in room 316 - avoid this room to avoid all the noise issues in my review. I had asked to be away from the elevator, but that clearly did not work out so well for me. That being said, I suggest you try the same because you do NOT want to be near it, the ice machine or the housekeeping door.

You should also know that there is zero free coffee in the lobby, the coffee/bar/food area apparently closes before 11 pm. They do have a little snack pantry area where you can buy some packaged food stuffs, but that is it.

The hotel is close to an area where there is some restaurants, movie theater, Whole Foods, but not really close enough to walk.

Overall, the hotel was nice and would have gotten an excellent rating if it could have done it's one basic job - provide a place for me to get some sleep. The sleep I was able to get was minimal. So, you might luck out on your room or you might get as little sleep as I did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. In reviewing your comments we definitely have some areas we need to improve upon and will be using your review as training for our team. We strive to make every guest’s stay the best it can be, and we obviously failed at our number one job… helping you rest.

Just a few notes for yours (and future travelers) reference:

1. Parking at our hotel is beside, behind and under. We also have access to additional parking just across from our front entrance. If you ever find yourself searching please just stop by the front desk and they will be happy to assist!
2. Please let us know if a guest in a neighboring room is making too much noise so we can address the issue. We have staff on hand 24 hours a day that can assist with this.
3. Our housekeeping team begins at 8am Monday – Friday and at 9am on Saturday & Sunday. We will use this review to continue our training efforts on minimizing the noise in the morning when they begin their work.
4. Our engineers are on the HVAC issue! Thank you for letting us know. Our HVAC units are cleaned annually and more often when needed. We will be taking this unit apart to ensure there are no other issues going on.
5. Our Bistro is open Monday – Friday from 6am – 9:30am and Saturday and Sunday from 7am – 10:30am for breakfast. We are open every day from 5pm – 10pm for dinner and bar. While we do not have complimentary coffee available in our lobby we do provide you with complimentary coffee in your guest room. If you run out, we will be happy to refill it for you! Also we brew Starbucks coffee from 5am until 11pm daily. It is available for purchase in our Bistro or at our Front Desk. For the off hours when the Bistro is closed, we have the Market located adjacent to the front desk where we sell beverages, snacks, fresh sandwiches, salads, fruit cups and more.
6. Our hotel is located .4 miles from the Hoffman Center which houses several great restaurants & a movie theater. Also, just across the street is the Eisenhower Metro station. This is a very close walk and there are sidewalks and cross walks the entire way. We also offer our hotel shuttle from 6am – 10:45pm to and from these areas.

Again, thank you so much for your great feedback! We will work very hard to fix the issues you encountered!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!