“Pleasant staff, clean and accessible” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New york
“Pleasant staff, clean and accessible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend and were very pleased. Rooms are fairly large, clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Free shuttle bus to the Metro station was great since, we used it very often.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks so much, PYCASTORIA! Enjoy your summer!

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed with a small school group and this hotel was perfect for our needs. Just a block away from the Eisenhower Metro Station w/Shuttle if needed. Bistro offered a great selection of breakfast choices for a fair price. Rooms were clean and spacious! Free parking is an added bonus. Will certainly stay here again! Thanks to a wonderful staff for making our trip perfect!

Room Tip: Our room faced the Interstate and it was a non-issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We're ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us, TarHeelsareBest! Have a super summer!
St Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I planned a vacation to DC. We figured the hotel wouldn't be an issue because we just needed a place to sleep and shower. We chose this hotel because of it's convenient location to the Metro. From the moment we opened the door to our room, we were disappointed. It was an extremely small room crammed full of furniture. We opened the curtains to our balcony to be treated to a view of the skylights for the hotel lobby and a facade. Oh well, we were just here to sleep and shower. The mattress was horribly uncomfortable. Being in mattress sales, I pulled the sheets back to find what we call 'the mother-in-law' mattress. The cheapest type you can buy. It had an antiquated coil system, that gives you the feeling of sleeping on a chain link fence. Tossing and turning all night and the noise from the ice maker across the hall, left us sleep deprived. We are 2nd shift workers, so or sleep schedule is 1 to 9. Not possible here since the housekeeping staff started vacuuming at 8am. We got up to shower and start our day. My husband was treated to a cold shower. We called down to the desk, and they sent up the maintenance man. He checked it out, replaced a part, declared it fixed, and told us the hot water was being used by housekeeping which is why it was not hot. I tried to shower and the temperature fluctuated between ice cold and scolding hot. My shower at home is required to have a regulator to prevent this, why wasn't theirs? This went on for 3 days, and we had finally had enough. We asked to be moved. The desk clerk said OK. When we came back from a day of sightseeing, we waited in line behind a man checking in for 4 rooms. We decided to dump our stuff and start packing to move. When we finally made it to the clerk we were told there were no more rooms. However, the manager on duty informed us that because of all the complaints, the engineering staff was called and had found a defective part affecting the whole property. Who knows for how long. That night we were treated to the joyful sound of teenagers running the halls. The staff was friendly, the location convenient, the stay was miserable. The only bright spot was AJ. He is a customer service superstar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Lisa O!

All I can say is ... WOW! You certainly did not have the stay that myself or my team expect you to have. I am truly sorry that I was not aware of your situation while you were on property as I would have loved to have taken are of the issue then.

I can assure you that our mattresses are not the cheapest that can be purchased as Marriott demands certain minimum standards. However, are mattresses are a mix of a foam and spring technology. Some of our mattresses obviously get used more than others and we have to be more aware of this issue. I will be addressing this issue with our engineering team to ensure that if the mattress is truly damaged that we replace it.

As for the water fluctuation, this truly was something that came out of no where. We have located the issue and are in the process of repairing it. It unfortunately is a larger issue that requires a large part to be replaced.

The last thing you want to deal with on vacation is an issue with your hotel room, and for this I truly apologize! I'm so glad that AJ was able to brighten your stay a bit while you were here.
Nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am a lifetime Platinum member so I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels.

When I checked in here and went to my room, I called down to express my concern that the room was right next to the housekeeping room and I was concerned about the noise. I was assured that they are not in there and there would be no problem.

For the first two nights, it was fine. Tonight, it sounds like someone is moving furniture next door to me. I called, I think five times, and was told that it would stop-- that the people using what was a "service elevator" would be gone soon. Several calls and 90 minutes later the sound continued and nobody called me back, so I finally got dressed and walked downstairs.

The front desk manager said he could go up there and listen, but as I pointed out, he is welcome to do so, but I need the sound stopped, not confirmed.

He then wanted to look up the timing of my first call when I checked in. It seemed important to him to confirm that I called about the sound when I arrived. (I hope he found it because he stopped talking to me and just searched and searched.)

He said they had no other rooms and he could not guarantee the noise would stop.

His focus seemed to be on searching for a record of my past calls and making down my current complaint... and he typed a lot. ;-)

I don't yell or swear, but I expressed my deep disappointment. Actually, I am disappointed enough to take the time to write this review, and I just about never do that.

Hotels know where the noisy rooms are. Everyone knows that. And, they don't generally put us frequent "stayers" in those room (not that they should put anyone in there). But, when you call and ask, let's at least be honest.

And it is midnight as I write this... and there is the rumbling sound again.

So, you get the point...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear travel195409 –

I really wish I had been able to speak to you before you left, however, the information was passed on to me after your departure. First, I’d like to apologize that you experienced the issue that you did last night. The last thing we want for any guest, especially a Platinum, is for them to have a sleepless night.

I personally went to your room and sat in the room for nearly 45 minutes hoping to hear what it was that was making the noise you heard. I was unable to hear any noise other than the sound of the exhaust fan in your guest room.

After seeing your review on Trip Advisor I also realized that this issue may have happened at the beginning of your stay. I had our engineering team working on another issue today and when I mentioned your situation things clicked. The noise you heard was the hot water booster pump above your room malfunctioning. Earlier in the week we had a few guests complain about water temperature fluctuations… when the investigated further today they found the booster pump had come apart and there were metal pieces rattling and making very loud noise. We have replaced this part and the sound you heard has been repaired.

I truly am sorry that you had this experience and hope that you’ll give us another shot next time you’re in the area.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I only stayed here one night. First, the positives:
--room very clean
--free parking
--nice front desk staff
--large lobby area for sitting, etc.
--large rooms
--wi-fi worked well

Now, the bad:
--not a ton of parking, and there were 2 air force trucks with trailers taking up most of the parking during my stay
--super thin walls - could hear the ppl next door talking loudly at 2am
--ice machine across the hall...dropped ice all night long
--bed hard as a rock
--housekeeping door directly across from my room and they started making lots of noise at an ungodly hour
--the AC was finicky - wouldn't always come on when it needed to and the room get really stuffy when it is off...then there is the terrible smell that comes from it when it is on

I was in room 316 - avoid this room to avoid all the noise issues in my review. I had asked to be away from the elevator, but that clearly did not work out so well for me. That being said, I suggest you try the same because you do NOT want to be near it, the ice machine or the housekeeping door.

You should also know that there is zero free coffee in the lobby, the coffee/bar/food area apparently closes before 11 pm. They do have a little snack pantry area where you can buy some packaged food stuffs, but that is it.

The hotel is close to an area where there is some restaurants, movie theater, Whole Foods, but not really close enough to walk.

Overall, the hotel was nice and would have gotten an excellent rating if it could have done it's one basic job - provide a place for me to get some sleep. The sleep I was able to get was minimal. So, you might luck out on your room or you might get as little sleep as I did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. In reviewing your comments we definitely have some areas we need to improve upon and will be using your review as training for our team. We strive to make every guest’s stay the best it can be, and we obviously failed at our number one job… helping you rest.

Just a few notes for yours (and future travelers) reference:

1. Parking at our hotel is beside, behind and under. We also have access to additional parking just across from our front entrance. If you ever find yourself searching please just stop by the front desk and they will be happy to assist!
2. Please let us know if a guest in a neighboring room is making too much noise so we can address the issue. We have staff on hand 24 hours a day that can assist with this.
3. Our housekeeping team begins at 8am Monday – Friday and at 9am on Saturday & Sunday. We will use this review to continue our training efforts on minimizing the noise in the morning when they begin their work.
4. Our engineers are on the HVAC issue! Thank you for letting us know. Our HVAC units are cleaned annually and more often when needed. We will be taking this unit apart to ensure there are no other issues going on.
5. Our Bistro is open Monday – Friday from 6am – 9:30am and Saturday and Sunday from 7am – 10:30am for breakfast. We are open every day from 5pm – 10pm for dinner and bar. While we do not have complimentary coffee available in our lobby we do provide you with complimentary coffee in your guest room. If you run out, we will be happy to refill it for you! Also we brew Starbucks coffee from 5am until 11pm daily. It is available for purchase in our Bistro or at our Front Desk. For the off hours when the Bistro is closed, we have the Market located adjacent to the front desk where we sell beverages, snacks, fresh sandwiches, salads, fruit cups and more.
6. Our hotel is located .4 miles from the Hoffman Center which houses several great restaurants & a movie theater. Also, just across the street is the Eisenhower Metro station. This is a very close walk and there are sidewalks and cross walks the entire way. We also offer our hotel shuttle from 6am – 10:45pm to and from these areas.

Again, thank you so much for your great feedback! We will work very hard to fix the issues you encountered!
Babylon, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel staff is great, very friendly. But that's the only good thing about this place. My first trip to my room, the key cards weren't working. After getting settled into the room and going to take a shower, I noticed a large puddle of water behind the toilet bowl, there was a leak. I told the front desk and they offered to change rooms. On my way to the second room, the key card didn't work again. After another trip to the front desk, I opened the door and immediately noticed the room was half the size. Then as I went to load my drinks into the fridge, I realized there wasn't one (yet there was one in my previous room). So when I got settled into the third room, everything was good for that night. When I was leaving the next day at about 8:00 AM, I noticed the cleaning ladies in the hallway. After walking around all day in DC, I returned to the hotel at about 4:30 PM to take a breather and relax before going back out. As I'm walking down the hallway, I see the maids still in my room. My mood then drastically changed. It was about 80 degrees out all day and I had to have walked about 5 miles and was dying to lay in bed. I got to the door and the woman told me she'd be done in 15 minutes. I then had to walk back downstairs to the lobby and wait for them to be done. I still don't understand how it could've taken them that long when I left in the morning and they were directly across the hall. Definitely wasn't happy and never going back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kibamf –

First, thank you so much for your candid and honest feedback. I will be using your review as a valuable training piece for our entire team so that we can better improve upon future guests’ stays.

I’d like to apologize about the issue with your key cards. This sounds to me as if it is a training issue more so than a mechanical issue and we will be addressing this right away with all of our desk team members.

As for your guest room I can only speculate because I do not know exactly what rooms you were in. However, we do have a few types of rooms. Our rooms with 2 double beds are going to be larger than our rooms with king beds. Guest rooms with balconies are going to be a bit shorter than other rooms as the balcony space does take up part of the guest room. Lastly, all of our guest rooms do not have refrigerators. We do have several rooms with them and we encourage our guests to request one if they need one and we will do everything in our power to provide one at the time of check in.

Finally, our housekeeping team cleans rooms for 8 hours a day. They arrive to work at 8am and depart around 4:30pm and clean 16 guest rooms each day. Some rooms are first and others are last but we try and clean the rooms that are staying over as early as possible. The housekeeper that was in front of your room that morning at 8am may not have been the one assigned to your room as some clean split floors. Our housekeepers do try and keep an eye out for guests who depart early so that we can clean those rooms first, but they do not always know. We suggest that any guest that would like their room cleaned at a specific time, either early, late or a designated time to please give us a call and let us k now. Our team is very happy to accommodate! The last thing we want is for you to come back at the end of a great day of sight-seeing and have to wait!

I truly hope that we are able to have you stay with us again and I hope that your feedback and my response will help other travelers in the future enjoy their stay!
atlanta, Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Although the room had a nice city view...
1. The vent in the bathroom *roared* loudly 24 hrs a day. We had to keep the bathroom door
closed all the time, very inconvenient.
2. the ice machine directly across from us roared most of the evening

I was told...
1. all the rooms with 12 vent upwards, so it is loudest at the top, and 8 was the highest floor.
2. that is the way the ice machine is - no attempts to do anything

I wish I had been told this at check-in, so I could have asked for another room, as my husband does not like to change rooms once we are settled.

Room Tip: Check-out the room location first and then check-out the room before settling in. Stay away from ic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Diane & Larry –

Thank you for taking the time to provide the very valuable feedback that you did. I can assure you that the information you have provided will be used to diagnose and come up with a solution to the noise issues that you reported.

It is true that the vents do vent up and through the room on the 8th floor. However, there is no reason that the vent noise should be so loud that it is bothersome. Our engineering team will be looking into this immediately to ensure there is not a mechanical issue with the vent fan.

As for the ice machine, we are looking at solutions to reduce the noise. Ice machines such as the ones we have operate on a use basis. If there is room for ice to be made, then it will make ice. We have tried timers in the past and they have not been successful, however, we are looking into other technology that may assist in minimizing the noise in the evening hours.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again some day soon!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!