“Wow! What a fantastic front desk employee!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest

You added Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington DC
“Wow! What a fantastic front desk employee!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I think his name was AJ? He was very nice and accommodating and made me feel extremely welcome and comfortable. Bed was great, room was nicely sized...only issue was that I had the heat cranked to 85 but it never felt like it got warm. Good fitness room (their machines actually worked without making the axe murderer squeak) and excellent location. Parking could be better because by the time I got there in the evening, I had to park in the back and lugging a suitcase over those speed bumps in stilettos was not exactly a walk in the park. Regardless, they have Starbucks coffee and it was very clean and accommodating. I will definitely be coming back. I hope to see AJ there as well!

Some people complained of noise...I didn't hear a thing. Then again, I am a dead sleeper and the room faced the street as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel is a great option for those who have an early morning flight out of Reagan National or those touring DC on a budget. Free parking and wireless internet, walking distance to Metro (with a short ride to the Mall), long walk/short taxi ride to Old Town Alexandria, and best of all, a great price. The hotel was clean and the service was good.Why pay a lot more to stay in DC when you are just a few miles/minutes away for much less?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We needed an easy and convenient place to stop in Alexandria on our way to Florida and decided on the Courtyard. We've stayed in Alexandria several times (always at a different hotel) but, due to good price they quoted and the fact that there was no charge for parking, we decided on this Courtyard. And, to be honest, we had a very nice stay. Room was spacious, bathroom was huge, I didn't hear any noise (as stated in previous emails) but we were on the 7th floor so perhaps that was the reason, and the Bistro was good for breakfast. All in all, very nice visit at a very nice hotel....we will be back!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It started last night when they gave me a room on the quiet side of the street with a balcony. Nice size room but it had a horrible odor plus it was situated across from the ice machine. The ice machine sounded as if somebody was vacuuming inside the room. You can hear it running loud and clear inside of the room when the motor/compressor kicks on. We went down and asked to switch rooms which they did no problem.

The next room was smaller with no balcony on the other side of the hotel where the freeway is located. We could hear the traffic outside as if we were sleeping on the side of the road. It was extremely noisy but we decided not to complain again and try to tough it out because we didn't want to move our luggage AGAIN.

So, now it's 6am and ...I am up writing reviews...because I have been awakened by a guest of the hotel RUNNING ON THE TREADMILL in the gym which is located some place ABOVE MY ROOM. I called the front desk and asked what the noise may be and he said it was the gym and do I want to change rooms. He was nice enough to offer to change rooms but really why did you put a guest that already had a bad experience in the first room into another potentially bad or worse room...

I was ok with the FIRST person running on the treadmill. I thought, how long can this really last...half hour 45 minutes. Ok no problem...then the SECOND person started their morning run. Now the THIRD person has started a morning run!! Not to mention the noise from the freeway is even worse as morning traffic picks up.

My sense of well being is shot and I'm frazzled from all the ridiculous amount of noise and disturbance here. All I can say is thank goodness this was reserved for only ONE horrible night. We made reservations at a better establishment.

Is it too much to ask for a room that is clean and quiet from The Marriott brand these days ?

Room Tip: Don't stay on the freeway side or under the gym.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bobby B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear DBS S –

WOW! I am truly sorry for the obviously horrible night’s sleep you had! Our team should have clued in on the fact that you were moving because of noise and not placed you some place where you could experience the issues! Since I do not know what rooms you were in, I can’t track down whether we were sold out and it was the only room available.

We do minimize the hours of the gym (from 6am-12am) in the hopes of pleasing (most) of our gym users and also not causing noise issues for guests below and around the gym. Obviously we did not in this case and I am truly sorry for that.

I will be using this review as a way to train our team in being proactive and understanding our guests needs better. There is no reason that we could not have handled this situation better.

Thank you again for your very candid and honest feedback.
Lees Summit, Mo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a good hotel in a location that is less than a half a mile from the Eisenhower metro stop. Also close to the movies. A little bit of a walk to. Restaurant. Parking is easy and does not cost anything.

Dear Postrawb –

Thank you so much for your review! As a top contributor to Trip Advisor it’s obvious your feedback is valued by the travel community. I’d love to know how we could improve our service based on your experience!

Thank you for any additional information you can provide!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great friendly service but horrible noisy room with old fashioned bedding and mattress with springs coming through. Whatever happened to Marriot quality?
The one positive point is that the entrance is nice and modern and the staff were really friendly

Dear KS505 –

Thank you for your honest feedback. We cannot improve without our guests’ feedback. As I am unsure of what room you were in I cannot address the specific issue with your guest room.

However, I can tell you that our mattresses are just 3 years old and in really great shape. Our engineering and housekeeping team look for signs of uneven wear and tear as we clean, inspect and maintain the guest room. This does not mean we haven’t missed something! If you could contact me at the hotel I would love to try and figure out what the issue may be.

Thank you again for your feedback!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed for 2 night during the Presidential Inauguration of President Obama . After looking all over DC and not finding anything that we could afford (the prices were ridiculous), we ended up checking in Alexandria and we found this great Hotel.
The customer Service was great, the people at the front desk were nice and friendly. The room was clean and pretty big (Comparing with other hotels)
The pool was clean and super quiet.
The lobby has several chairs, couches, TV, pillows , it's really nice and cozy.
The breakfast (included in our room rate) was better than what we expected. The people working at the breakfast was ok. I think they could be more friendly but it was okey...
We parked the car the entire time and use the subway to go around.
Close to the subway, only few blocks away, nice neighborhood, lots of restaurants to choose.
Totally recommend it.

Room Tip: Since the hotel was packed. we ended up having the handicap room. It's bigger than the other one...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest? Share your experiences!