We just returned from the Hampton Inn after a three night stay to return my daughter to college. We are in Washington several times a year and have managed to stay in a different hotel every time we visit. We chose this hotel due to a desire to be near Old Town due to the restaurant choices, as well as having a great place to walk around in the evenings. This is the third hotel we have tried in the Old Town area. We stayed at the Hilton on King Street and the Lorien on two prior trips. We obtained a decent room rate through the hotel website with a golf course view. Worth the slight increase in price since the course is quite pretty and the other choice is to face a highway.
Pros: There are many positives about this site, including free shuttle service to the Metro and Old Town by two of the nicest drivers (Peter and James), free parking (awesome!), free internet access and the usual Hampton Inn breakfast included in the room rate. Decent insulation between rooms reduces noise spillover from the neighboring rooms. There is a microwave and small refrigerator in each room without the pretentious snack key charges for the five dollar candy bar. Hotel front desk staff are very pleasant and the room was cleaned and straightened every morning more quickly than at any other hotel I have stayed in within the last several years.
Cons: The rooms are large, but our particular room (can't speak for others) was starting to show its age with some stains in the carpet, broken ironing board, walls in the bathroom near the toilet that could use a good cleaning. I have back problems and the mattress is really soft and the four tiny pillows are too soft (even the alleged 'firm' pillows) and were lost on a king-sized bed. The air conditioner was working, but seemed unable to cool the room sufficiently even after the temperature dropped outside and the fan is quite loud. There are no restaurants or shops within walking distance of the hotel, therefore the use of the shuttle or a car is an absolute necessity. I missed being able to just walk out of the hotel to purchase a Washington Post or an iced coffee or take a stroll in the morning.
We chose the site based on our love for Alexandria and hotel pricing, but our lack of knowledge about the rush hour traffic patterns traveling in and out of the district to my daughter's college was not worth the cost savings. On Wednesday and Thursday evening it took us 90 minutes to drive 9 miles. Route 1 is a nightmare between Crystal City and interstate 95. I use the term evening 'rush hour' loosely since it seemed to encompass 6:30 - 11:00 AM and 3:30 - 7:30 PM. I drove the same route in 22 minutes at 10:00 PM. This is August and the city was relatively quiet except for tourists - I cannot imagine how long this trip takes during the rest of the year. Unfortunately we needed the use of the car during the day or trust me, we would NEVER have taken it out of the hotel parking lot and simply used the Metro. This is an excellent site if you want a basic, decent room with many extras that would otherwise generate separate charges. Definitely a great value for families and a well managed property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly renovated and upgraded two bedded rooms to 2 queen size beds. Free Hot Breakfast Bar each morning. Free shuttle service to Historic Old Town Alexandria and Huntington Metro Station. Meeting and banquet space to accommodate 250 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South Hotel Alexandria
- Hampton Inn And Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
- Hampton Inn Alexandria
- Alexandria Hampton Inn