“All-around goodness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
MO
“All-around goodness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights here while we were sightseeing in DC. Although it's across the river in VA, the Metro can get you into DC easily and much quicker than driving in. And the rates are much better here.

The 2 people we had the most contact with were excellent. Luana was the night manager and was very polite and efficient. Mike was the shuttle driver and he was a lot of fun. The shuttle will take you to Reagan Nat'l Airport, Old Town, and probably some other areas. It was a 5-minute ride to the Metro station from the hotel on the shuttle. Old Town has some fantastic restaurants and Mike recommended several that were outstanding. Everyone we came into contact with was polite and helpful.

The hotel is a typical Hampton in most respects, and that's a good thing. Some of the Hamptons are showing their age and are getting rundown, but this one is still nice. Our room was quiet and comfortable. Very little outside noise intruded into the room, either from outside or from the hallway. Our room was very spacious and we had plenty of room to maneuver around. One thing I always pick at is the shower head, this one was plenty high and had great water pressure.

We didn't get to see everything we set out to see, we ran out of time. So we'll probably come back sometime and we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on St. Patricks day 2010. 20$ cab ride from DCA. Check in was quick and polite. I stayed on what my colleague who has stayed there before in the "old wing". The room was still satisfactory, however you will be dealing with a wall mounted AC/heat, old CRT tv instead of a flat panel, and older carpet, etc.

I slept well as everything was comfortable. Breakfast was actually very decent for Hampton Inn's....and I saw the lady placing fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts out. I had to get one.

Most important for me, especially with the hotel not being in walking distance to any restaurant or shops, was the free shuttle. They were great as far as hotel shuttles go. I had little to know wait time. On a busy St. Patty's day they were easily available to drop us off and pick us up from hotel to restaurant, etc. This was something that I'm not used to enjoying from a Hampton.

I would stay there again due to the shuttle, although I may try the Hampton on King street to see how it fares with location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

A little out of the way, well priced for the area. This is a typical Hampton, a little worn out, a little out of style, but was quiet, clean and the staff was absolutely wonderful. Ms. Fitzpatrick was a great source of local information.

The best feature was the shuttle to the Metro station and to the restaurants of Old Town Alexandria. We went to dine and to see the sights of DC, and never had to move our car from the hotel lot the whole trip.

This also had perhaps the biggest breakfast area of any hotel in which I've ever stayed.

Basic hotel, staff and convenient shuttle made it a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

A great place to stay. Let me name the ways... clean; convenient shuttle (to Metro, Old Town Alexandria, National Airport) never more than 10 minutes away, made it easy to get around without a car; great full breakfast (eggs, sausage, fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt,...); gym (weight, treadmill, stair climb); take-away snack bag for day trips packed with water, fruit, muffin, breakfast bar; business center with PC workstations, Internet and free printing; wired & wireless Internet in & around hotel; affordable rates; large room (we had suite with two queen size beds and fold-out sofa); courteous, helpful staff ALL, even knew us by name. Thanks Lawana F., Glenn S. and staff for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This Hampton Inn offered wireless highspeed internet in the guest rooms. Ethernet connection would require a special request. Wireless connection speeds were decent - not comparable to cable high speed internet. It's okay for checking emails and searching the web, but not for watching videos. If you need to VPN to your work's network, expect some latency but my experience was good, reliable connection that allowed me get my work done. The desk had sufficient work space - okay, but could be better, if you plan on working during your stay.

The shuttle service was on demand, 24 hours. I used the shuttle to go to Old Town for dinner, and I was dropped off and picked up at the restauarant of my choice. Pretty amazing for courtesy service!

The rooms were clean, as expected from Hamptons Inn. The bathroom has modern, up-to-date fixtures, well lit, and very clean. There is a vending machine and ice machine on each floor.

Courtesy breakfast was standard fare - cereal, toast, eggs, fresh fruit, coffee.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

The rate was $180/night and who cares that it's not really in Old Town...especially since they will shuttle you there whenever you want to go and pick you up as well. I never waited more than 15 minutes for the shuttle driver, including the airport pickup and return. And the metro station is a short 5 minute drive from the hotel. I prefer this location to actually staying in Old Town because the price point is good and having access to the shuttle is the icing on the cake. And I can't say enough about the staff...they certainly seem to enjoy their work and it shows with pleasant personalities, smiles and helpful service. Everything about the actual physical structure is good and as I expected -- clean rooms, free internet service, hearty breakfast, inviting pool and relaxing atmosphere. For my money, there is no better place to stay..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Greensboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

I have stayed at many hotels and this is the first time I am compelled to write a review. We were highly impressed. This was a very comfortable, clean, convenient hotel. The rooms were very quiet! They shuttled us to Old Town and the Metro and picked us up when we called them. We were all very impressed!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South? Share your experiences!