“Excellent Hotel - wonderful staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5821 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
San Fernando, California
“Excellent Hotel - wonderful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

This is the second time we have stayed in the Hampton Inn on Richmond Highway near Old Town Alexandria and were very pleased. We were greeted with an enthusiastic hello by the wonderful front desk staff who remembered us from last year (its kind of hard to forget identical twins). Our room was immaculate with plenty of extra towels.

The complimentary breakfast is better than a lot of other hotels. It is always nice to start the day with a hot meal, whether it is the scrambled eggs with cheese or waffles, bagels, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, donuts, and if you are in a rush, there's a bag to grab with muffins, a piece of fruit and an energy bar at the front desk. There are also fresh baked cookies at the front desk every afternoon.

There is a free shuttle service to take you to Old Town, or the airport, or just about anyplace you need to go within the area.

Look no further, try this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Florida/USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

As luck would have it, I found myself flying into DC (which I was not at all familiar with) and having to book a room, last minute. Everything decent Alexandria was sold out, except one room at the Hampton Inn! How lucky and blessed I was to find this amazing hotel with an absolutely amazing staff!

I cannot say enough about how amazing the staff was. From the complimentary 24hr shuttle, that not only takes you from the airport to hotel. It takes you just about everywhere! I had various appointments in Alexandria; the shuttle service mapped it out and took me! Old town and the Metro, no problem, the shuttle will take you! As a woman traveling solo, I felt so safe. The driver is amazing! Probably a stand-up comedian on the side, (if not, Mike, should be!) The entire staff was just so wonderful to me. I never had a hotel experience were the staff made such an amazing impression! The rooms were immaculate, and very large. Even the bathroom was beautiful. Additionally, All the free services, computer, complimentary breakfast, and shuttle service, make this hotel a tremendous value! I highly recommend it! Treat yourself and stay at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria/Old Town South. Many thanks again to the amazing staff, Micki, Mike, Glenn, Katie, and Louanna. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Athens, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

For my parents' 60th Wedding Anniversary my five siblings and I took our families and our parents on a trip to Washington DC (and Monticello). We booked rooms at the Hampton. The Staff, as with all Hampton's we've stayed at, were fantasic (Louanna and Glenn, especially). The room we were in 7725, was HUGE for a hotel room. We had 6 people in it and had room to spare. The breakfast area was large (we had 36 people there) and they accommodated us when we asked for a room for Sunday Worship on Resurrection Sunday. The shuttle drivers were prompt in taking us to and picking us up from the Metro station. Numerous restaurants and stores are within an easy drive of the hotel. I believe that I can speak for my whole family when I say, that this was a memorable trip, not just because of the occasion, but also because of the staff at the hotel who went out of their way to accommodate our large group.
Only negatives: Pool was an outdoor pool. Our toilet didn't flush right during "prime" showing time (6a-9a), but did at all other times. I'm no plumber, but something was wrong. One of my sisters had a leak in the ceiling of her bathroom. The staff moved her to another room promptly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

We had been to the Marine Base at Quantico to see our son. We were flying out of Reagan Airport and wanted to be near it on the night before our flight. This hotel was a wonderful solution. We were in the new suite part of the hotel. We had a two queen bed suite with a pull-out sofa which was perfect for our family. The room was huge with a small bar/kitchen area in the entrance. There was a separate bar sink and mirror there which was helpful in the morning rush time. A flat screen tv and wifi connection were great.

The room was on the seventh floor (top floor) and our room was right at the elevator. Sometimes that can be a problem, but we did NOT hear the 'ding" of the elevator at all that night.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The shuttle service was excellent. They picked us up from the metro stop at Huntington; took us to King Street to an area full of restaurants and shops and gave us a review of three of them (others were there too) and in the morning we took the 7:00 shuttle to the airport. The breakfast started at 6 am which let us eat before we went. It was okay but not as good as I expected after having seen the rest of the hotel. The sweet rolls/bagels/cereal and coffee/tea/juice were all standard. I was disappointed in the meat/egg selection.

We were there in early December and it was a very slow time so it was very quiet and we felt like we had the place to ourselves. We had a wonderful stay.

• Liked — Size of room and shuttle service
  • Disliked — Breakfast was good but different sausage and boiled eggs would add to it.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

We just returned from celebrating our daughter's wedding. All of our out of town guests stayed at the Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town Area. The staff and facilities were wonderful! Comfortable, clean, and spacious rooms (especially the new suites), great breakfasts, and amazing shuttle service into Old Town, the Metro, and the airport. The expanded breakfast area made it easy for our guests to gather and hang out at breakfast. We rented a hospitality room right off the breakfast area and it worked well having it available for our guests to use. It was also great to stay at a hotel where we didn't have to pay for parking! My husband and I said we'd love to stay there again when we return to the area!

• Liked — The rooms and the staff
  • Disliked — They were working on Route 1 outside the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria for two nights to do some sightseeing in Washington, DC.

We chose this location because it has two nights available at one of the most reasonable prices for a Hampton Inn in the DC area. Probably because it is a little far out from the city's center.

The hotel was a little hard to find, being unfamiliar with the area, and with a lot of road construction going on in that part of town. After a few wrong turns, we did manage to find it. Parking was plentiful (and free!), check-in was easy.

The hotel was well maintained, in the typical Hampton Inn style. We always enjoy the comfy beds and clean rooms, although our bathroom was showing some signs of age and the elevators were a little slow. We also could not get wireless internet to work in our room, but there was a cable on the desk which worked just fine. The hotel also had a very nice business center featuring two computer workstations with printers -- great for printing our airline boarding passes the night before we flew out!

To do our sightseeing, we took advantage of the free hotel shuttle to the Huntington Metro station -- the hotel has two vans which constantly circulate between the airport, metro, etc. The van also happened to be there to pick us up when we came back on the metro the same evening. Very convenient and saved a little dough!

The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. They have a very large dining area with big windows and big, flat screen TVs. Hot and cold items, plus coffee, tea, juice and all the fixins. The woman who was managing the breakfast area took the time to stop and say hello and offer advice for the day's activities.

A great value for the DC area.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Hard to find
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Stayed here for two days after a bad storm wiped out power and knocked down trees at our home in Northern Virginia. Only 3 rooms were available at the time I booked and I took the last of the king bed new construction suites. Room was great. Nicely appointed, clean, upscale with polished engineered countertops, brushed stainless bath fixtures, refrigerator, microwave, kitchen type sink, pullout sofa, widescreen TV. We were lacking shampoo/conditioner when we checked in, but I went to the front desk and after about a 15 minute wait, they found some for me. They kept saying they'd "bring it to the room" but I preferred to wait at the front desk until some could be located. I was glad I booked when I did, because they ended up being fully booked and having to turn people away at the door. Cost of the room was $205 plus taxes. They supply a nice breakfast in a spacious dining area. Both hot and cold breakfast type foods/beverages. Keep the fan running on the A/C unit to help drown out street noise and hallway disturbances.

• Liked — the newness of the room, cleanliness, flat screen tv
  • Disliked — having to ask for toiletries that should have been supplied (minor issue)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South? Share your experiences!