“Terrific stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New York
“Terrific stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would have rated this property 5 stars except for the staff, who were a little bit less than stellar. Every time we had a question, whether by phone or in person, the staff member we spoke to acted confused and somewhat unhelpful. However, they were essentially pleasant and willing (if not eager) to try to be helpful. Our room rate was very reasonable ($150/night for 2 queen beds and a sofabed).

There are some really nice aspects to this hotel. Although it's definitely suitable for business travel, it's also comfortable for families and leisure travelers. The nightstands next to the beds are equipped with convenient charging plates (four A/C outlets and at least two USB outlets), so you don't have to go skulking about the room looking for an outlet. Beds were clean and comfortable, although the sofabed in our suite was lumpy and the mattress extremely thin (we had 3 people, so one slept in the pullout - luckily, she's the type who gets into bed and barely moves, so no tossing and turning). The flatscreen TV is nice and large with good reception, a decent array of channels, and mounted on a swivel so it can be turned a full 180 degrees, and can be viewed anywhere from the sitting area to the bed(s).

Breakfast was terrific, and a big step upward from my last experience at the Hampton Inn in Florissant, MO. Granted, that experience was many years ago, but "breakfast" at that place was basically toast and weak coffee. Breakfast in Alexandria included sausages and scrambled eggs (one caveat - the scrambled eggs are made in those weird gumball shapes. Lord knows how they get them that way). There's something for everybody - fruit, yogurt, DIY waffles (point: the DIY waffle iron SAYS to please close it, so if you use it CLOSE it when you're done!), an assortment of breads and very good muffins, and probably more that I didn't see. The breakfast area is basically nice and clean, although when it's busy it can be difficult to navigate thru the tables and the breakfast line.

The workout room was well-equipped for its size (rather small). The business center when I visited had some difficulties with internet connection, and although someone was dispatched to fix it, it was never fixed. The wifi in the guest rooms, however, was very good (I just needed a faster computer to upload files and email them - my netbook was too slow for this, and I never actually got to finish my work there). The pool is outdoors, so was closed when we visited

Although the property appears to be entirely nonsmoking (I could be wrong about this), I distinctly smelled cigarette smoke on my floor. I never addressed it with the front desk staff because I wasn't around that long, so don't know how they would have handled it. The hotel was doing some sort of renovation and on several floors there was construction debris and broken items strewn about near the elevators and the ice/vending machines. This was something of a turnoff - plus, the construction materials smelled like turpentine and other chemicals.

The upshot is that the very good aspects of this hotel did more than balance out the questionable/not so good things. They have a shuttle service that some in my family used and liked quite well. All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Alexandria, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is located south of DC, across from the national harbor and along the river. It is reasonablely priced. Near affordable places to eat. Short drive to Mount Vernon. Very nice staff. They have a shuttle which will get you to the Metro system so you can get to anywhere in the city. The Breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The reasons why I am rating this hotel 4 out of 5 include: shuttle service between the hotel and Reagan National Airport, Old Town, and the Huntington Metro Station; breakfast (in house and to go); clean room; microwave; and refrigerator; and quiet. There is no restaurant at this location, but there is a variety of delivery options. The reasons why I am not rating this hotel 5 out of 5 include: our room was not made up when we returned at 4:30 p.m. on our second day (Sunday) so we had to wait for 30 minutes (not good); nothing was done about an issue with the shower rod/curtain that we reported; and we did not receive our 4:30 a.m. wake-up call, even though the front desk staff showed us where it had been written down. Luckily our backup alarms worked so we didn't miss our early flight. The manager was a bit intense. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

It's hard to call a hotel that costs just under $200 a night with taxes a budget hotel, but this one is in the environment in which it is located. And, it's worth every penny. Great service, tasty cookies at night, and a better-than-average breakfast in the mornings. We were there during the U.S. House of Representatives shutdown of the government, and I particularly appreciated the hotel's listing of what was open (and advice on how to get there). The shuttle to National Airport, Old Town Alexandria, and to the Huntington METRO station was helpful. I've been fond of Hampton Inn as a brand for years, and this one did not disappoint. Only downside is that timewise it's a long drive into the District, despite the short distance in actual miles. Highly recommended...

Room Tip: The higher the better ... No room service (I touched the button and it won't let me erase it.)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I recently stayed here as a chaperon for an athletic trip. We had a bad experience nearby on this trip last year AT A DIFFERENT HOTEL, and I was apprehensive about booking a room this year.
WE WILL STAY HERE AGAIN! The group sales department was nice to work with. They had our keys arranged for us, and it was probably the fastest check-in I've ever experienced. It has easy access and shuttle service to Alexandria without paying the "right-there" price. We went for a Redskins game, and while the hotel was almost full - it was very quiet. No road noise, yet 2 second access to the interstate. It was a great breakfast. We needed rehearsal space (last minute request) and they easily accommodated us.
Stay here for any DC visit!

Room Tip: While we didn't experience a "front room" I would advise asking for one in the back to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I am usually quite happy with Hampton inn suites and this was no different. The location is good for the Washington area and quick access to motorways etc. About 5 minutes by shuttle to Old Town Alexandria which I can highly recommend.

Rooms are big with a small kitchenette type facilities if you need them and a good office space with reliable Internet. Breakfast has some cold and hot choices and for me it was fine for 4 days.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Other than the remodeling that was being finished this hotel was a great experience. My wife and I travel quite a bit and the staff at this Hampton ranks in the top 3 of any hotel we have stayed at. The front desk staff was awesome and treated us with the utmost respect. We are actually treated like "customers" - something that seems lost in today's world. To compare this - after being at this hotel for three days of vacation we moved to the Washington Court hotel for a conference. We would have GLADLY gone back to the Hampton, the difference in customer service was light years apart even though the WC was priced at twice as much.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South? Share your experiences!