I would have rated this property 5 stars except for the staff, who were a little bit less than stellar. Every time we had a question, whether by phone or in person, the staff member we spoke to acted confused and somewhat unhelpful. However, they were essentially pleasant and willing (if not eager) to try to be helpful. Our room rate was very reasonable ($150/night for 2 queen beds and a sofabed).
There are some really nice aspects to this hotel. Although it's definitely suitable for business travel, it's also comfortable for families and leisure travelers. The nightstands next to the beds are equipped with convenient charging plates (four A/C outlets and at least two USB outlets), so you don't have to go skulking about the room looking for an outlet. Beds were clean and comfortable, although the sofabed in our suite was lumpy and the mattress extremely thin (we had 3 people, so one slept in the pullout - luckily, she's the type who gets into bed and barely moves, so no tossing and turning). The flatscreen TV is nice and large with good reception, a decent array of channels, and mounted on a swivel so it can be turned a full 180 degrees, and can be viewed anywhere from the sitting area to the bed(s).
Breakfast was terrific, and a big step upward from my last experience at the Hampton Inn in Florissant, MO. Granted, that experience was many years ago, but "breakfast" at that place was basically toast and weak coffee. Breakfast in Alexandria included sausages and scrambled eggs (one caveat - the scrambled eggs are made in those weird gumball shapes. Lord knows how they get them that way). There's something for everybody - fruit, yogurt, DIY waffles (point: the DIY waffle iron SAYS to please close it, so if you use it CLOSE it when you're done!), an assortment of breads and very good muffins, and probably more that I didn't see. The breakfast area is basically nice and clean, although when it's busy it can be difficult to navigate thru the tables and the breakfast line.
The workout room was well-equipped for its size (rather small). The business center when I visited had some difficulties with internet connection, and although someone was dispatched to fix it, it was never fixed. The wifi in the guest rooms, however, was very good (I just needed a faster computer to upload files and email them - my netbook was too slow for this, and I never actually got to finish my work there). The pool is outdoors, so was closed when we visited
Although the property appears to be entirely nonsmoking (I could be wrong about this), I distinctly smelled cigarette smoke on my floor. I never addressed it with the front desk staff because I wasn't around that long, so don't know how they would have handled it. The hotel was doing some sort of renovation and on several floors there was construction debris and broken items strewn about near the elevators and the ice/vending machines. This was something of a turnoff - plus, the construction materials smelled like turpentine and other chemicals.
The upshot is that the very good aspects of this hotel did more than balance out the questionable/not so good things. They have a shuttle service that some in my family used and liked quite well. All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly renovated and upgraded two bedded rooms to 2 queen size beds. Free Hot Breakfast Bar each morning. Free shuttle service to Historic Old Town Alexandria and Huntington Metro Station. Meeting and banquet space to accommodate 250 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South Hotel Alexandria
- Hampton Inn And Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
- Hampton Inn Alexandria
- Alexandria Hampton Inn