We enjoyed our stay here but future travelers should be aware of a few things. The value of the room is a reflection of the fact that you are not close to DC. Actually you are close to the freeway ( which was not disturbing). The hotel provides a shuttle and they are more than willing to shuttle you to the metro stops, old town or to the airport. Be warned that during busy times you will have to wait and sometimes they only have one or two vans going to these places. The staff were friendly and tried to be accommodating to get everyone where they needed to be. You should allow at least 45 minutes to get to DC by metro. The hotel serves a nice hot breakfast. We steered clear of the powdered hotel eggs and enjoyed some of the healthy options, including delicious oatmeal and the not so healthy Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Breakfast was always plentiful and they had "to go" breakfast bags that you could grab on your way out.
The housekeeping was fine, several times we returned to our room at 4 or 5 only to find that our room had not been cleaned or that they were just cleaning it. I can't rave about the housekeeping because it could have been better but I think that it must be a problem of short staffing or training, the rooms were cleaned but often not as well as i have experienced in other hotels. To their credit, they were quick with extra towels and pillows when asked. We stayed in one of the new suites and it was roomy and had a Mini fridge and microwave. The room has an additional sink in the kitchen area which was convenient.
Several local places deliver to the hotel but for most nights you will enjoy dinner in old town. The restaurants are good and you can expect to spend 75-125 dollars a night for a family of 4. The food was expensive at all establishments but the front desk had several coupons that you could use to ease the pocket impact.
The pool was nice and they had a lifeguard on duty every time that we were there.
They have an on site coin laundry room in case you want to wash out some clothes. Be warned, there is only one washer and dryer.
Overall it was a nice stay, the only drawback was the 30-45 minute commute to and from the sites. I don't know that I would stay at this property again to visit DC but it would be a good property for a business meeting or small convention. I noticed many large tour groups with their own buses. So, if you are bringing 100 middle school kids to the area, this hotel can accommodate. ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly renovated and upgraded two bedded rooms to 2 queen size beds. Free Hot Breakfast Bar each morning. Free shuttle service to Historic Old Town Alexandria and Huntington Metro Station. Meeting and banquet space to accommodate 250 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South Hotel Alexandria
- Hampton Inn And Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
- Hampton Inn Alexandria
- Alexandria Hampton Inn