“Good value in expensive area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5821 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, United States
“Good value in expensive area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here 9 nights to visit all the tourist things in DC. Wished we were right at the metro, but they made it so easy to get a quick shuttle van ride to the Huntington stop, that it was really no big deal. Very nice, clean, updated room, which they cleaned well every day. Morning breakfast good, though we got a little tired of the same thing after 9 days, but it worked well for our family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Demotte, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in May 2013 with a school group....all was very smooth, check-in, breakfast, rooms all on the same floor and so forth. While there were 2 other groups staying as well you would not have know it. Clean rooms, hallways, elevator, eating area. Hats off to the ladies in the breakfast area food at times get low but never ran out. Already have my group booked for next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our spring break Easter weekend getaway. I can not say enough great things about the convenience of staying in this hotel if you are unfamiliar with the D.C. area. It is an easy location to find with GPS if driving and there is free parking. It is just across the river from DC, and on the train route. My children and I met my mom and grandmother at the hotel. There is a free shuttle to and from Reagan Airport, and they were able to take the shuttle to the hotel.

The room itself was a queen non-smoking suite that was supposed to have "views" of the Potomac River which it did, but was pretty far away. The room was spacious and clean. There is also a pull-out couch. It was nice because the shower and toilet are separate from the sink so more than one person could get ready at a time. There is also microwave and refrigerator in the room. I saw negative reviews about smoke. Our room was non-smoking and I did smell smoke very strong in the hallway and in the public restrooms on in the lobby, but I never smelled the smoke in our own room.

The breakfast is a nice hot breakfast with a variety of foods offered including eggs, sausage, and waffles. The weekend we stayed in the hotel there was a large church convention which made it difficult to keep coffee and condiments stocked, but considering the amount of people in the lobby all weekend the staff did a great job of making sure guests were happy. One negative is that I think there should be better information about what to do for people unfamiliar with the train/subway. We are not city people, and were unfamiliar with how to purchase train tickets and how the train works. The nice thing is that there are station managers at the train that are extremely helpful for clueless passengers, like were were. Also, I have to say the people who ride the train in DC were extremely helpful as well. I'm sure residents in D.C. are used to people asking questions, but the people were always nice and very accommodating.

When we wanted to go to the train station to catch the subway into the city, we waited no longer than 5 minutes for the shuttle which took us right to the station and came back to pick us up when we called. The wait for the time back was typically around 10 minutes, but it was so convenient and saved lots of money in transportation costs.

The shuttle also takes guests to Old Town Alexandria which is a neat place right on the river with lots of restaurants and shops in the old homes on King Street. The shuttle back was about 15-20 minute wait on Saturday night.

The room was also less than $100 per night on a busy weekend. I highly recommend this as a place to stay for families on a budget. Great staff, great room, awesome extras, and price!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We wanted to see Alexandra, Va and I had tried to book a room @ the Embassy Suites in the Northern part of the town as it was in walking distance of the free King Street Trolley. What a lucky break. We thought we would have to drive our car, find & pay for parking, etc.. Nope, they offer a free shuttle, pretty much on demand. We asked our one driver if he could recommend any restaurants and he recommended two. We had lunch in one and dinner in the other and was completely satisfied with both.This facility was very clean as was our room on the 7th floor overlooking the golf course. The breakfast was also good with a nice selection of breakfast items.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had recently had a great experience at a Hampton Inn near Phoenix and we are Hilton Honors members so I thought it would be fine to stay here last weekend. I had read Tripadvisor reviews so when we checked in I asked for a room on a higher floor facing the back so it would be quiet for sleeping. Our room was on the 7th floor and when we went up we immediately noticed the hallway smelled smoky. The room smelled too but in comparison it was not as bad and since we had an appointment we ran out thinking we would deal with it when we returned. It was worse when we returned - we noticed the room connected to ours was a smoking room - maybe people had checked in and now our room smelled awful. I called down to the front desk and was told they had to speak to the manager. The manager called back and explained they had no non-smoking rooms for us and at our request sent up room freshener which didn't help. For the life of me I can't understand why we weren't told the room was on a smoking floor when they assigned it to us! We would have taken another room if we had been. Yes, our preference was a King non-smoking, but had we known it would be really a "smoking" room due to the location, then 2 double beds would have been our choice of course. Also not sure why they have so many connecting rooms since we felt we could hear the people next door very clearly. They did move us the next day - the new room was on the 5th floor where there had been a leak in another room so the hall was musty smelling and a large fan was blowing. The room itself was fine and at 10 PM at night we turned the fan off so the noise didn't affect our sleep. The hotel seemed full and as hard as the breakfast staff worked to keep the food stocked the available tables were not clean both days. This was not a good Hampton Inn experience and in the future I'm going to be more careful about assuming all Hampton Inns are the same.

Room Tip: Absolutely do not stay on the 7th floor is you are not a smoker. The hallway and every room on the f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I understand the freshness of the room was of concern during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our hotel's priority; therefore, I have brought your comments to our hotel team to resolve this situation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to the area.
Poquoson, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I want to give a special thanks to April of the sales staff at this Hampton Inn location. She made reservations for my party of four so easy with one phone call! She gave my team a great rate (much better than many competitive hotels in the area) and made our stay first class! From the time we arrived to our departure the entire team at the Hampton Inn Old Town South delivered first class service! I will make this location my number one choice for staying in the DC area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Alexandria, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel two weeks ago and it was great. We missed the free shuttle they have from the Metro station and the manager told us to get a cab and a receipt and he would reimburse us! Then we didn't get our wake up call on the last morning, so the manager gave us a 100% refund for the last night! These people really know how to make sure you are happy. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Its a mile from the Huntington Station Metro and they have a shuttle (that we never had to wait for in the morning) that takes you there for free. When you get back to the Metro that night you just call and they are there in 10-15 minutes usually. We took that time to have a seat and relax, unwind, and talk about the day we just had. I never felt like I was in danger or anything while waiting at the Metro station either. There are workers and other people around the well lit area. Also, I was surprised at how cheap the items in their little convenience store were at the hotel. We got a couple Cokes and it was really reasonable. Also they have umbrellas for 8$ which we could have used but didn't realize they had them there. We got caught it rain and every place we went in to get one was at least 18$ for a small umbrella. This hotel provides expected accommodations for the price, but provides 5 star customer service along with it.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South? Share your experiences!