“Surprisingly nice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Oxford, AL
“Surprisingly nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I don't usually stay in Holiday Inns because I've had varied experiences in the past. This one, though, was really nice!

Staff was very friendly. Hotel and rooms were clean. Parking garage under the property.

Great location, as we could walk to different restaurants nearby.

Room was spacious; would have been great for a family of 3 or 4. Bathroom was quite small, though. Just enough room to turn around, but don't plan on closing the door after you sit on the toilet. Bath & Bodyworks shampoo and conditioner! Decent stuff that actually lathers--woot!

There were actually enough hangers for my clothes for the week! A first for me.

The TV situation was odd. It is glued down to the dresser, and the screen didn't turn. I had to slide the dresser to be able to watch TV on the couch.

Mini fridge in the room. Full bar and restaurant downstairs.

I would actually come back to this property for future visits!

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Myself and a colleague recently stayed at the Holiday Inn during a meeting. We checked in late and it went smoothly and efficiently. The greeting staff was friendly and professional. We arrived just as the bar was closing but the bartender, Mr. Bill was very gracious in serving us as well as a couple of other stragglers. He didn't rush us while we sipped our wine at the end of a hard day and was engaging and cheerful. It was a great way to wind down after a long day of boring meetings. The room itself was very clean and extremely comfortable. Loved the king sized bed with a comfortable mattress. And very much appreciated the coffee pot in the room the next morning.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the view of the pool.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel in Alexandria is very convenient to Reagan National Airport (2 miles), downtown Washington, D.C. for meetings or visitor attractions, as well as the historic sites in Alexandria, Arlington Cemetery, and Mount Vernon. Clean, modern rooms and a good staff. Acceptable restaurant facilities with decent food. The price is good by Washington standards.

Room Tip: High floor in the East or North sides.
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A very disappointing experience. I booked this hotel because it had a swimming pool and I wanted to swim before I went to my meetings every morning. Unfortunately when I arrived I found that the pool is only open 4pm-9pm on weekdays (longer at weekends) and there is nothing to be done about this because State regulation stipulates that there has to be a life guard on duty. Also, the pool is the size of a postage stamp. It's probably lovely in summer when it opens up to an open air pool. However, the opening hours should be clearly stipulated when booking.

My other huge gripe is the noise from the archaic air-conditioning. When it is on it is unbelievably loud. But even when it is off there is a thunderous noise coming through the ventilation in both the bedroom and bathroom. You definitely need ear plugs to sleep. There is a (small) bath in the bathroom - but it is impossible to have a nice relaxing bath because of the awful noise.

Room was a reasonable size, basic but functional. But there is no safe deposit box in the room which I find unacceptable.

Wifi was also pretty erratic. On my first day it was not available from around 8pm at night until after 7pm the next morning. I missed one conference call with Europe and had to go to Starbucks at 7am to be able to participate in a second.

Also annoying is that the bar/resto and room service are only available between 4pm and 9pm. This seems exceptionally limited - especially as the hotel is not so close to the bars and restos of King Street (Around a 15 minute walk - probably ok in summer but not so pleasant in freezing winter temperatures).

Also note that there is a very hefty service charge added to room service orders. My check was 45 dollars but I was charged a 9 dollar service fee as well as a 2 dollar tray fee. This is not stipulated in the room service menu.

On a positive note, Karen at reception and the bar and room service staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. However, based on this experience, it is very unlikely I would ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear RB_BRU,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. It is regrettable you did not enjoy your stay at our property. We are sorry the pool area did not meet your expectations. We thank you for bringing the issue with the air conditioning system to our attention. Feedback from our guests is something that we welcome and use to improve our product.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barrington, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I normally do not write reviews, but felt I needed to for this hotel. My daughter and I stayed here for a weekend with a bunch of other families for a cheer competition. My room was spotless and spacious. What I was really impressed with was the how wonderful we were treated at the Bistro. The Bistro opened at 6:30 on Saturday to a room full of hungry girls and parents that needed to be on the road for 7:00. On Sunday, we needed to be on the road at 6:30. Our waitresses arranged for the Bistro to open a half an hour early so our girls could eat a hearty breakfast before we left. The two waitresses, Alicia T and Kisone, were wonderful! They were very helpful and worked fast to get us fed and on the road. I will definitely stay here again next year!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked for 5 nights and were given a room on the 4 th floor which is the highest. Can't imagine what the noise level must be like on the lower floors because we had sports teams running and yelling down the halls even after midnight.
I think we were the only guests who weren't part of soccer/baseball etc sports.
a tired, well worn hotel in dire need of an update. Can't recommend. Sorry!

• Stayed January 2015
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Rannaloro,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not completely comfortable in your room due to the noise from neighboring guest, also that our hotel may have appeared to be little worn. We are sorry this caused you to be very disappointed with us. We ask that at any time you are not comfortable, please contact our friendly front desk representatives who are eager to help make your stay an exceptional stay. Please reconsider us to visit, we would love the opportunity in you returning to better serve you.
Norristown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015

We spent a very special weekend with two of our grandsons visiting DC. I chose HI because of moderate cost and the shuttle to a metro station. We all were pleasantly surprised to discover that we were staying at a truly "full service" property. We enjoyed the bar and had a very fine meal in the restaurant. Bill is a superb barkeep and the kitchen put out a good meal in spite of some odd adolescent requests. The entire front house staff was professional, aware and answered all our "where to" questions. I truly liked that a grocery is within a block, important when traveling with kids. The room was bigger than I expected with upgraded bedding and pillows (another surprise I must admit) We enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool after dinner too. Small but fun with the kids. All in all we will come back here again...probably with two more grandkids!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!