“Disappointing Stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Destin, Florida
“Disappointing Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Checked in following a cancelled flight. I gave the front desk clerk my Priority Club number and asked if he had a room with a king size bed as my wife was with me. He stated he didn't think he had any king size beds remaining and I asked "really" as I was quite certain he did. He just ignored me and gave me my keys with no further words. No big deal. We got to room 322 and found the heater going full blast with a temperature in the 90s (outside was 25). We learned the heater only worked in full hot and no other setting worked but we turned on the A/C and cooled the room so we could tolerate it. After going out to get some dinner we returned and got settled in. It was then we learned that the TV remote didn't work. Still, we were tired and just wanted to get some sleep before returning to the airport the next day. Around 10:20 pm a large group of young teenage athletes came bursting down the hall yelling loudly, running, slamming doors and being very disruptive. I complained to one of the adult leaders but she didn't know what do to. I then complained to the front desk who offered to move us if we wanted but could not send anyone up for awhile. I was tempted to call police but the noise started to subside after about 30 minutes so we just wen to bed.

When asked this morning if I enjoyed my stay, I politely explained that it was the worst stay I've had at a Holiday Inn during the 15+ years that I've been a Priority Club member. I explained the details and the front desk clerk just said "I'm sorry" and handed me my bill. I can honestly say I've never experienced worse treatment at any other Holiday Inn.

Finally, this place is worn down and some of the furniture is practically falling part. The facility and the management just need a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: Suggest you look elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear RoamingRandy,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not completely comfortable in your room due to the inability to adjust the temperature properly in your room and the noise from neighboring guest, also that our staff's attentiveness was not exemplary during your stay. We are sorry this caused you to be very disappointed with us. I will speak to the Manager to make the correction necessary to our staff's services. Please reconsider us to revisit, we would love the opportunity in you returning to better serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed for one night on a business trip and the hotel was fine as a place to crash. The one and only big thing that will keep me from coming back here is the fact that the room didn't have blackout curtains to cover over the sheer curtains in the windows. This wasn't acceptable because of safety and privacy concerns. It really is the only reason I have the room a rating if "Poor." Other than that, the hotel was very clean, which was great. It was pretty centrally located. The service and overall stay was totally average, which is fine by me when I'm staying one night for business. And for the price, I expected nothing more.

• Stayed January 2014
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear AliaMerida,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We apologize for the missing black out curtain, we have been replacing some of our black out curtains and may have inadvertently missed that particular room. Thank you for commenting which is vital to us correcting the issue. We apologize you had this issue that took away from you having an exceptional stay. We hope that you would grant us the opportunity to serve your needs better.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I recently stayed here to attend some personal functions. The area was a little sketchy, the room "just OK", the food is another story. The food at our dinner was good but when I came down the next morning to order breakfast to take back to my room for me and my husband - I was disappointed to say the least! I ordered two breakfast - asked for wheat toast and was told they only had white (that was fine). I receive the food ($35.00 later) and upon opening it in my room found that the toast was Rye (I DO NOT EAT RYE) and BURNT! The French toast was a cinnamon bun dipped in egg and burnt to a crisp! The omelet left a lot to the imagination! As for the hotel and it's staff, I would have to agree with Jack O... AND PLEASE DON'T send me your automated - copied and pasted response! That is also cold and militant! Start taking some time to actually address your former clients issues!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear ReviewingVaBeach,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret to see that the staff & service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention and improvement. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Be sure to ask if the Air conditioning is on. I'm here in December and either the AC is not working on my room or the AC has been turned off on the hotel. ( Some places actually do that).
The windows don't open either. I tried.
The hotel van service is good. There is a grocery store across the street. And a couple small restaurants in the area.

Stayed November 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Ord737fo,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We are glad you found the hotel shuttle to be notable and the location to be suitable to you itinerary. However we would have preferred you were pleased entirely with your overall experience during your stay as one of our valued customer. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay to having a just an nice stay. We hope that you return and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

1-Location: the hotel is in a quiet street, 15 min. walking to downtown Alexandria and also 15 min. to the Metro station. The metro will take you to the Mall in Washington in 20 min. There is a Supermarket 'Giant' across the street. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from Reagan Airport every half hour. If you don't feel like walking to the metro you can take the shuttle to the airport and in 5min. you will be at the train. 2- The Hotel: large and nice place. We got a huge double bed room with a fridge, coffee making facilities and good mattresses. The hotel has an indoor pool very convenient for a splash before dinner. 3: A Plus. The provide free bikes ( and helmets). We made a wonderful bike ride to Mt Vernon!!!! 4: Price. We paid 134 bucks at the Internet for a prepaid plan ( without breakfast) do not search for a better place! It is the cheapest in the area. HIGHLY RECOMMEND !

• Stayed November 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Murilo,

We appreciate your comments and feedback on our hotel. It was more than our pleasure to serve you. We are very happy to hear that our location was well suited to your plans and travels in the area. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're elated to know you would recommend us and would return, we look forward to it.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Holiday Inn is always my go-to lodging when away from home, but this time I struck out. Hotel was very dated, the front desk clerk was cold and almost militant in her replies to my questions. The interior of the room was clean but looked like a Motel 6 from 1988. There were large tears in the blinds that the staff at one time tried to hold together with masking tape. The window was broken and stuck open about an inch, which turned out to be a blessing with the cold November air because the heater was unbearably hot and smelly, even set at a very low temperature. I could not park my truck in the underground garage because of the height restrictions, but there was outdoor parking, although I'm not sure why I had to pay $20 for it when it was unguarded and in the far rear of the building. All in all I was unhappy and will never use this facility again.

Room Tip: East facing, exterior room shave a great view of the approaching aircraft at Reagan National. Surp...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your valuable time to give your comments. We receive each comment as a vital tool in improving and making changes where needed to best serve our guest. Our goal is that we meet the needs of our guest while staying us. We are constantly training our staff to engage our guest with a friendly smile and to ensure that our guests are satisfied. We regret we did not meet that goal. We apologize that you were not pleased with the rooms decor, and our parking facility. The damage to the window treatments is something we will look into and fix. Our parking fees are more than comparable in price for this area, and the parking lot is apart of our security's tours nightly. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
Naples
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently returned from a three night stay at this hotel...it was booked by a business associate. First, the good....comfortable and clean room and bath....excellent shuttle service. at this point the hotel deserves a four star rating.
Now, the not so good.....the hotel advertises free fast internet connection....when (and IF) you can gain access...it is slower than the dial up I had fifteen years ago. I note that other reviewers have left complaints....obviously nothing has been done to correct the situation...this is my PET PEEVE! The television set in my assigned room featured a snowy screen....with very limited choice of channels. Buffet Breakfast is the usual found at midpriced hotels...and while most of those hotels include the Breakfast in the room rate....this hotel charges for the Breakfast. At this point, the hotel deserves NO star rating.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear TravelerFL,

Thanks for the observations and the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to make concerted efforts to improve our guest overall experience. We apologize that the Wifi service was an items to affect your impression of us. We have recently began making changes in our services with our WiFi provider to improve the WiFi service for our guest as these efforts are underway and yet to be completed. In that respect we have let you down, and prefer you had a better experience at our hotel. We would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to you returning to allow us to exceed in our ability to serve you.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!