“Family friendly, honest employees” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Wichita, Kansas
“Family friendly, honest employees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed few days, for a church conf. and loved everything about this hotel. They are family friendly, and also have very honest employees who graciously returned our wallet with everything intact. Thank you for a memorable time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Matia B,

We appreciate your compliments, positive recognition of our staff and feedback on our hotel. It is our utmost pleasure to serve you. We love knowing we achieved our goal in providing you with an overall exceptional experience. Your comments will be shared with our staff to encourage continued efforts of generous hospitality. We are anticipating your returning to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was a great hotel, but unfortunately I lost money here.
We were booked to stay at this hotel for 2 nights, unfortunately, due to the Asian airline crash in San Francisco, we arrived 1 day late. I rang the hotel to advise I would be 1 night late & that this was a prepaid advance booking, so I understood that I would not be refunded the nights accommodation. However, I did ask, considering my circumstances, if the money I paid could be offset against breakfast - I was told yes.
When i arrived I asked the person at the desk (Moe) to check if I had a credit on my account, after some checking he confirmed I did. I also asked if I could use the credit for breakfast & he said I am reasonably sure you can, but just ask again in the morning, which I did and again got confirmation that I had a credit on my account which I could use.
I left the hotel and when I next checked my credit card I found a $50 charge for breakfast from the hotel. I rang, spoke to the manager Kimberly, who said she would look into it and email me back. To date have not had an email or call back from her. I don't really care about the $50, but I don't like being told one thing and something else happens. This appears to be a hotel where communication between staff is lacking.
If it were not for this unfortunate incident, I would rate the hotel as excellent. On principal I would not stay there again, but please do not let me deter you from staying there.
One thing is that the hotel is a 15 to 20 minute walk from the main central Alexandria area (King street) where all the restaurants are.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear VicM,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. We apologize that you were not pleased with your experience with us. It our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. Continuity in communication is a key ingredient in serving our guest. We apologize for our shortcoming in communicating these services to you and among our staff. We will make sure that our Managers are aware of this to make the necessary changes to improve. If the issues mentioned are not rectified, please contact our Accounting Department for remedy. We look forward to you returning to allow us to exceed in our ability to serve you.
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The hotel public areas and my room were clean and well cared for, but the restaurant was barely acceptable at best. My main frustration, however, was the wi-fi. It was weak, slow and hard to connect to, and I simply wasted a great deal of time trying to use it. In the end I gave up and began going to nearby restaurants that had decent wi-fi, like the Royal Cafe and Teaism. For me, usable wi-fi is a major consideration. I won't be using this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear David P,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to give your comments. We receive each comment as a vital tool in improving and making changes where needed to better serve our guest . Our goal in providing you with an overall exceptional experience. We apologize that the Wifi service was not up to your expectations, we will look into ways to correct these issues with the provider. We hope that you would give us the opportunity to surpass the your standard.
Wakefield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a Sunday night in July. It is located about 7 blocks from the historic district and the hotel offers shuttle service back and forth each hour.
The hotel is clean and fresh. The rooms are large and comfortable. We did have a problem
late in the night with water dripping from above near the toilet. I went to the front desk and they
gave us another room. No offer to help us move and not pleasant when my wife had just woke up.
We booked the rate which includes the buffet breakfast. The food was OK but nothing special.
We had one problem which I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jackooks,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. We value your comments they are so vital to us, as to where we can improve. Our goal is that our guest overall experience is pleasant and enjoyable. We apologize that you experienced issues with your accommodations during your stay. We apologize for this inconvenience. We do hope that you will allow us the opportunity serve you again to exceed your expectations.
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for our recent visit to Washington, for a Holiday Inn this one is a bit 'tired' but it was a good place to stay when you have to facilitate a car as it has a covered garage. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to Alexandria town approx. 1 mile away and Ronald Regan Airport where you can then catch the Metro into Washington, you can also pickup it up on your return. There is also another Metro approx. 15 mins walk from the hotel.
The hotel has a nice bar & restaurant, this was very handy after a very hot & busy day sightseeing. The menu is limited but the food was very nice, they also serve a buffet breakfast with Hot & Cold dishes, again this was very good. Alexandria which is approx. 20 mins walk away is a lovely town with a very pretty waterfront and numerous restaurants. You can catch a water taxi from here to Georgetown or take a day trip to Mt Vernon. Would recommend this if you do not want to stay in the centre of Washington.

Room Tip: If cost is no issue always go for the suites.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear UktravellerHampshire,

We appreciate your compliments and feedback on our hotel. It is our pleasure to serve you. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are very happy to hear that our location was well suited to your plans and travels in the area. It also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the area and how convenient the complimentary shuttle service was, and how tasty the our restaurants food was during your stay. We are happy to know that you would are choose us again. We hope you will visit again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with family of four for five day trip to DC area.

Pros
Big rooms
Pool with life guards
Kids eat free breakfast
Nice service staff

Cons
Had to take hotel shuttle to airport to pick up the Metro. Trip took 20 minutes and the shuttle was always crowded or we had to take a second, smaller shuttle van
Shuttle ran only two times an hour, which was inconvenient.
Hotel was not close to much in Alexandria except a grocery store across the street.
Had to ask for hair dryer and conditioner, since when did these things stop being standard.
Price.

If you're visiting DC, find something closer to the Metro or stay on DC.

• Stayed July 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear PsychMike71,

Thank you for your comments and valuable feedback. We glad you chose us for your accommodations for your family during your travels where you were able to enjoy that time with your family at the hotel's pool, and the service of our friendly staff. However, we would like to apologize for some inconvenience in your ability to get to and from the Metro. These same complimentary shuttles function for the two hotels and not only travel every half hour to the airport and metro but also make drop offs and pick up on King St every hour. On some rare occasions our complimentary shuttles will get more than usual amount of passengers per trip and we do not foresee when these times may occur. In the future please return and allow our friendly staff to share with you some of the convenient attractions in our area.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The only thing that made the stay better than the nice, quiet room was Super Bill, the amazing bartender and all around nice guy.

Use Travelocity and check the little box "Find Top Secret Hotels". I checked in behind a gentlemen who was a card carrying "Rewards" member who asked if he got the best rate available at $125.00 per night, and the answer from the desk was, "yes sir, as a rewards member, you always get the best rate. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I got the same room for $74.00 per night; but he did get a little "Rewards" goodie bag for his troubles.

Room Tip: Say Hi to Dr. Bill for me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Successemp,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciated your comments and name recognition of our staff's excellent service. We will make sure Bill is commended for his great service provided. Please understand there are differences in our rate such as your advanced purchase, to the difference in the type of room reserved, to it being a package rate. There is a variance of reasons that would have made it the best available rate for the guest. We strive as always to give all of our guest a quality of service that is deserving of their loyal patronage.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!