“Meh...even for Holiday Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“Meh...even for Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

So I had a trip here last March. I was instructed by work to be here while my office was being renovated. There were some additional business meetings to take care of in DC, and this location is 'supposed' to be close to the historic district.

1) It's over a mile - I believe 2 miles - from the historic district. With no shuttle, that's not close. There is a metro within walking distance, but that's not disclosed by Holiday Inn. That's not nearly accurate enough.
2) No internet. By that I mean...they 'offered' internet, but it never worked. The entire time I was there. No explanation as to why it didn't work, and no apologies. They have have signal blockers in the hotel, so I had to leave the hotel and walk another half block if I wanted to use my personal phone. NO THANK YOU!
3) I lost a piece of personal property. I know it was in the room, and it's pretty unique, having been made by myself. It was a self-colored Nalgene water bottle.
It took an hour to describe to the staff that it was a 'Nalgene' (who doesn't know what that is?).

It has since been replaced, but it wasn't the one that was mine.

Room Tip: Cheaper than being in DC proper, nice proximity to the airport. No other reason to be there, though.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Geoffrey B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the proximity of the hotel to the Historic District prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Saint John, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel offers one a reasonable base of operations for touring historic Alexandria and Washington, D.C. It is an easy walking distance from the tourist strip of King Street and a very easy walk (about 15 minutes) to the Braddock Street Metro Station. Also very close were some good restaurants. This was important to us because we did not want to deal with car rental and the D.C. Metro system makes a car-free experience a possibility.

The staff I found consistently friendly and helpful. Although I don't crawl on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass looking for dirt and hair, I did find the standard of cleanliness to be reasonable. We slept very well. In fact, I couldn't believe how well my wife slept, given the fact that she usually does not sleep well on trips. Our room had a microwave and small refrigerator, both of which functioned well. The only issues we experienced, and they were minor, were the bathtub faucet dripped and our card reader/door lock had to be fixed.

The hotel offers a restaurant, bar, and cafe. Since there were restaurants nearby, we did not patronize these places. Therefore, I can offer no helpful insights into the quality of their food or service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The rooms are very clean, the staff in the front desk are exceptional , willing to go out of their way to accomadate any request or concerns. Very caring and polite. You can tell they enjoy coming to work everyday. The evening bartenders Bill ,Lahbib, and marlene are just wonderful . I walk in from a hards day of work and they are ready to serve you and initiate pleasant conversation among all the guest. They make you feel like you just walked into their home and they are great hostesses.
However there is a server/bartender in the mid day hours. I believe her name is alicia. The ruddest unfriendly server I have ever come across. In all my years of traveling ,have I ever been treated so bad. Thank god for the rest of the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a great hotel at a good price! Not everything is perfect everyday; but, I have been a frequent guest (every other week on average) for over 8 years and this hotel is always my FIRST choice when I stay in Alexandria. The biggest reason I stay there is the incredible staff. Be sure to stop by the lounge and see Bill, the bartender. He runs the BEST hotel bar in Alexandria and the DC area!!! Say hello to Lahbib as well, he will be running around taking care of guests in the restaurant in a fast and efficient manner. If your group has a function in the hotel, Jason or Marleen will be there for you; but, they also cover the lounge/restaurant when needed and do a fine job. The kitchen is staffed by Willie and Freddie. Both are great chef's and great guys. By chance you might meet Myrna, she manages the lounge/restaurant. She often works late to help with guests. The front desk staff is top notch. See Alex, Sheila, Mo or Kim for assistance. They are very friendly and quite helpful. The morning staff in the restaurant is also great. Amelsa, Kesone and Alecia will do their best to get your day started. Try the buffet. It is as good as what many hotels meals serve from a menu. Finally, if you see someone from the housecleaning staff in the evening, it is likely to be Gwen. No doubt she will be busy; but, she is always friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Get a room on the courtyard for a quiet night of rest. Get a room on the mezzanine if you like to b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just spent the past the weekend at the hotel. I've been coming here quite often for many years. My main reason is that it fits my budget - all the time. I just sacrifice the convenience of being just outside close to locales. It a 10-15 minute stroll to King Street (the main drag), which means, no heavy traffic and more residential; you can get to the Metro by free Trolley but instead I drove to the outdoor parking lot which is free on the weekends. It's a 10-15 minute drive into DC but of course driving times will vary depending on where you want to go and the traffic itself.

I thought the room was very clean with the exception of a big brownish stain of ???? something near the window (no view btw). I really didn't care, the room doesn't smell (at least to me - my wife and I can go back and forth on such little nit picks). It's decor is still tasteful, though turning the corner of being somewhat out dated.

The ac/heater unit and beds are aligned together. The air will blow across you because the louvers are non-adjustable and the lowest setting for the fan is not low enough (and is noisy for light sleepers). My solution was to put the desk chair between the unit and the bed so that the air flow would just be blocked by the back of the chair.

The people that work there are always courteous, helpful and easy to talk to... sorry I always have a problem remember peoples names!

One thing I really don't like is paying an extra $20/day for parking in the garage. You can try to park on the street just beware of the times allowed.

I think you can agree my review is very mixed with a lot of give and take.

Room Tip: Our room was on the Mezzanine level. I never stayed in this part of the hotel. I have to say it is...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ardrossan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

lovely comfortable hotel, friendly staff. only 10 mins walk from King street which is the main street near all restaurants. theres a free trolley bus that takes you upand down king street which includes the metro. Alexandria is served by 2 metro stops which take you directly to DC. Get of at the smithsonian stop which is central to all the main sites. use the hop on hop.of bus $45 for a 24 hr pass, well worth it it takes to all the sites in DC. Beautiful city. Alexandria itself is also a must see, eating out is great try Nandos peri peri house,
oconnels irish pub, perks breakfast house. Theres also a well stovked super market across from the hotel, a pizza house situated in the hotel and restaurant

• Stayed April 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel was alright, a little outdated and some rooms are need of a major facelift. We had a two room sweet with a balcony that the remains of hornets nest on it.

No trash bags in trash can.

Single Ply Toilet Paper. I know its a recession and all but they could spare a little more money and something better than Scott 1000 sheet toilet paper.

Old school outdated microwaves, the one in my room didn't even have a turntable in it.

The Cafe Monaco was nasty as hell, just microwaved pizza and cost to much.

Basic Cable only, you would figure that a hotel would have more then 20 channels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We thank you for you comments and feedback on your recent stay. We're very happy to get our guest's feedback to improve our services and accommodations. We are sorry we did meet your expectations. We do strive to give our guest our best in service and accommodations. We will take your comment into consideration for updates. We will also forward your feedback to the Monte Carlo Cafe as they are an not owned by the hotel. We look forward to you returning and hope we could make your stay with us a great with us.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!