“Watch out for parties!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
Ranked #31 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Delden, The Netherlands
“Watch out for parties!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel has everything you need for spending a couple of nights when being on a business trip. The rooms have a good size and are clean. The bed is good as is the bathroom. For breakfast you may have the buffet or order from the menu. The buffet is ok.
The parking place is free as is the WIFI internet which is not that fast.The staff is friendly.
The hotel as a free shuttle to Kingstreet so no worries about parking your car or drinking a glass of wine.
But you have to inform if there are parties planned during your visit. I was there from saturday till thursday and on saturday there was a party going until 2 am sunday. The music was so loud that even earplugs brought no solution. And that after 14 hours of traveling and 5 hours time difference.

Room Tip: Ask if there are parties planned.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for the comments and feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you had an issue with the noise from the event taking place during your stay. However we are glad that you were able to take in the area in ease. Using the shuttle is a very convenient mode of transportation to King St. But something you may not have know is that we bicycles the loan out to the guest for free. You may use them to site see in the area and with upcoming spring and summer months it would nice way to get around.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dornsife, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't tell you a thing about the inside of the hotel as we didn't make it further than the front desk. We had purchased their park and stay package and had confirmed a late arrival. We were traveling with a group and had three rooms in total booked. We were the last ones there and when we arrived they had no room for us and sent us to another hotel while leaving the rest of our group at this hotel. We had booked the room months in advance. It was not a good start to our vacation!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are very appreciative of your comments. We apologize for the issue with our inability to accommodate your reservation upon your arrival. We hate that these rare unfortunate circumstances occur. Sometimes these things happen due to a number of reasons unforeseen ie. weather, transportation etc. We understand that being away from your group may have been inconvenient, and not at all what you had expected. Again we apologize for that inconvenience.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and it was a great experience. Very comfortable, clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly and its a great location. My only disappointment is really no place for lunch that was good. The cafe in the hotel was only average at best and no real places within walking distance for a one hour lunch.

Room Tip: The rooms are spacious so if you are trying to save a little money and you are traveling on business...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. I am glad to hear that are location worked out so well for you. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have other place in the area walking distance to get a good lunch our front desk guest service representative would be happy to assist you. I hope you visit us again to have another fabulous stay.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I used to stay there in the past but my last trip was a disaster, looks like the rooms downgraded. Couple of years ago there was a lot of noise, definitely needs SOUND PROOF since you stay in a hotel to rest, especially after a full day's work. I decided to give it a second change but it only proof to be WORST, guests SLAM, no close the doors as hard as they can, sometimes 5 AM IN THE MORNING, you hear everything, the cars passing by, the newspaper being deliver, absolutely no a good place to stay. The good point of this hotel is that it is located near the center of the quaint historic alexandria with shops and good restaurants, the hotel is conveniently located within 5 minutes to DCA and downtown, the hotel offer free shuttle to both locations, and very convenience supermarket across the street that close at 10 pm. The night I arrived even with a delayed flight the supermarket was still open, you can not beat that.
Opt instead staying a the Crown Plaza, 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: on the upper floors facing the courtyard in the back part of the hotel, no facing the street, tooo m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on where we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with all sorts of noises. It is our goal to make sure every one of guest has absolutely fantastic stay. We are sorry that you felt that we did not live up to that goal. We glad however that the location was a plus in your trip. We hope that the next time you decide to stay with us you will have a better experience in a room that will not have those disturbances. Please let us know your preferences in a room so we may accommodate you away from any room facing the street. When the hotel has the opportunity to make updates suggestion such as these are taken into consideration.
Vlierden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This HI is quite a big hotel close to the Alexandria old town, the hotel is nice, up to HI standard, big room clean. The free internet is rather sloooow, a bit of a downside but I did manage to do my email so not too bad. The hotel is a six blocks walk from King Street with all the nice restaurants. Speaking of restaurants, the hotel has a restaurant: bistro on first, where I went for breakfast, that was a bit of a disastre.. I asked for an omelet and I was told that the waiting time for omelet was 25 minutes, because there where other orders ahead of me. ( mind you, with myself included there where 4 tables taken, the rest was empty) As I didn't have that much time I asked if I could get something else warm which would not take so long. The suggestion was: maybe freshfruit and yoghurt! I replied nice warm fruit and yoghurt, but the lady did not get the point. Anyhow, the yoghurt was a very tiny cup of danone for $3 and a small bowl of canned fruit for $6.... Luckily the coffe was good! Would I stay again? For the hotel yes, for the breakfast I would go to a diner across the street.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear ICI01,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. It is great that you recognize our clean rooms. Please accept my sincerest apology if your stay was negatively affected by the level of service received from our restaurant as well as the internet. Rest assured this feedback will be shared with the appropriate department that can help us monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to service you better in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Palatka, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in Alexandria Virginia's historic district that is by far the best part of this hotel. This hotel runs a shuttle service, for free, to and from the historic district which is a very convenient and pleasant trip. However problems with the rooms make staying at this hotel less pleasant. The problems began just after checking in. We attempted to enter the room using the key card provided by the front desk. Upon entering the key card into the slot the door would not open. We tried the other key provided. Again, the door would not open. After several attempts I went to the front desk where I was provided with a new key. Upon returning to the room once again, the key card still did not work. At this point I called the front desk and the front desk worker came up and opened the door. He said the batteries in the slots needed to be replaced. Despite the unpleasantness of the situation we were able to get into the room and the front desk staff was helpful. Upon entering the room we found it to be partially renovated and partially not renovated. While the linens on the bed and the photographs on the wall appeared To be new, the curtains and bathroom amenities were decidedly not new. The curtains on the wall had many holes throughout them which I found to be exceptionally strange and very shabby for an otherwise decent hotel. Also, parking at the hotel is very expensive. It was $20 per day to park. On the whole of this hotel is not a luxury hotel. It is a dated Holiday Inn. Unlike its cousin, holiday in express, there was no free breakfast in the morning. The Wi-Fi Internet in the room rarely worked and when it did it only worked for a few moments at a time. I stayed here because I got it for a good price on a bidding website. I would only stay at this hotel again if I got an exceptionally good deal.

• Stayed March 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on how we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with the conditions of your room, and the trouble with entry. It is our goal to make sure every one of our guest has absolutely wonderful stay. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. We hope that you would stay with us again and give us the opportunity to make your experience a much more pleasant experience than the your last.
queens,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in the DC area for a very important conference, and found this hotel to be budget-friendly and close to DC.

It is conveniently located just a block from a DASH bus stop that provides a 5 or so minute ride to the yellow and green metro lines, so it is REALLY easy to get around in DC from this hotel. The staff is really friendly and helpful. It is clean, well lit, and comfortable. The room service was prompt and the food was well-made and tasty- a little pricey, but laziness has a cost. The area is really nice and quiet, felt safe walking to the bus before the sun rose. There were a few conference groups in and out during my stay, so at times it was like traversing a crowd to get around.

There are some places where improvements NEED to be made!

1- noise insulation. With just next door neighbors opening there door it literally sounded like someone was breaking into my room. I was on the second floor directly above the lobby and could hear much of the activity, including periodic thuds that I cannot figure out the cause of. These noises startled me awake on a few occasions and were present during my entire stay.

2- Better internet. I was traveling for a business conference and it literally just took 25 plus minutes for this page to load. It is slow and unreliable.

3- Get rid of parking fees. There is no reason a hotel guest should need to pay $20 additional to park.

4- Microwaves and minifridges in the guest rooms and not by order- as a standard item.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear newyorkerinmotion,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. I am sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!