“ok hotel, need improvements big time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“ok hotel, need improvements big time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I used to stay there in the past but my last trip was a disaster, looks like the rooms downgraded. Couple of years ago there was a lot of noise, definitely needs SOUND PROOF since you stay in a hotel to rest, especially after a full day's work. I decided to give it a second change but it only proof to be WORST, guests SLAM, no close the doors as hard as they can, sometimes 5 AM IN THE MORNING, you hear everything, the cars passing by, the newspaper being deliver, absolutely no a good place to stay. The good point of this hotel is that it is located near the center of the quaint historic alexandria with shops and good restaurants, the hotel is conveniently located within 5 minutes to DCA and downtown, the hotel offer free shuttle to both locations, and very convenience supermarket across the street that close at 10 pm. The night I arrived even with a delayed flight the supermarket was still open, you can not beat that.
Opt instead staying a the Crown Plaza, 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: on the upper floors facing the courtyard in the back part of the hotel, no facing the street, tooo m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on where we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with all sorts of noises. It is our goal to make sure every one of guest has absolutely fantastic stay. We are sorry that you felt that we did not live up to that goal. We glad however that the location was a plus in your trip. We hope that the next time you decide to stay with us you will have a better experience in a room that will not have those disturbances. Please let us know your preferences in a room so we may accommodate you away from any room facing the street. When the hotel has the opportunity to make updates suggestion such as these are taken into consideration.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Vlierden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This HI is quite a big hotel close to the Alexandria old town, the hotel is nice, up to HI standard, big room clean. The free internet is rather sloooow, a bit of a downside but I did manage to do my email so not too bad. The hotel is a six blocks walk from King Street with all the nice restaurants. Speaking of restaurants, the hotel has a restaurant: bistro on first, where I went for breakfast, that was a bit of a disastre.. I asked for an omelet and I was told that the waiting time for omelet was 25 minutes, because there where other orders ahead of me. ( mind you, with myself included there where 4 tables taken, the rest was empty) As I didn't have that much time I asked if I could get something else warm which would not take so long. The suggestion was: maybe freshfruit and yoghurt! I replied nice warm fruit and yoghurt, but the lady did not get the point. Anyhow, the yoghurt was a very tiny cup of danone for $3 and a small bowl of canned fruit for $6.... Luckily the coffe was good! Would I stay again? For the hotel yes, for the breakfast I would go to a diner across the street.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear ICI01,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. It is great that you recognize our clean rooms. Please accept my sincerest apology if your stay was negatively affected by the level of service received from our restaurant as well as the internet. Rest assured this feedback will be shared with the appropriate department that can help us monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to service you better in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Palatka, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in Alexandria Virginia's historic district that is by far the best part of this hotel. This hotel runs a shuttle service, for free, to and from the historic district which is a very convenient and pleasant trip. However problems with the rooms make staying at this hotel less pleasant. The problems began just after checking in. We attempted to enter the room using the key card provided by the front desk. Upon entering the key card into the slot the door would not open. We tried the other key provided. Again, the door would not open. After several attempts I went to the front desk where I was provided with a new key. Upon returning to the room once again, the key card still did not work. At this point I called the front desk and the front desk worker came up and opened the door. He said the batteries in the slots needed to be replaced. Despite the unpleasantness of the situation we were able to get into the room and the front desk staff was helpful. Upon entering the room we found it to be partially renovated and partially not renovated. While the linens on the bed and the photographs on the wall appeared To be new, the curtains and bathroom amenities were decidedly not new. The curtains on the wall had many holes throughout them which I found to be exceptionally strange and very shabby for an otherwise decent hotel. Also, parking at the hotel is very expensive. It was $20 per day to park. On the whole of this hotel is not a luxury hotel. It is a dated Holiday Inn. Unlike its cousin, holiday in express, there was no free breakfast in the morning. The Wi-Fi Internet in the room rarely worked and when it did it only worked for a few moments at a time. I stayed here because I got it for a good price on a bidding website. I would only stay at this hotel again if I got an exceptionally good deal.

• Stayed March 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on how we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with the conditions of your room, and the trouble with entry. It is our goal to make sure every one of our guest has absolutely wonderful stay. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. We hope that you would stay with us again and give us the opportunity to make your experience a much more pleasant experience than the your last.
queens,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in the DC area for a very important conference, and found this hotel to be budget-friendly and close to DC.

It is conveniently located just a block from a DASH bus stop that provides a 5 or so minute ride to the yellow and green metro lines, so it is REALLY easy to get around in DC from this hotel. The staff is really friendly and helpful. It is clean, well lit, and comfortable. The room service was prompt and the food was well-made and tasty- a little pricey, but laziness has a cost. The area is really nice and quiet, felt safe walking to the bus before the sun rose. There were a few conference groups in and out during my stay, so at times it was like traversing a crowd to get around.

There are some places where improvements NEED to be made!

1- noise insulation. With just next door neighbors opening there door it literally sounded like someone was breaking into my room. I was on the second floor directly above the lobby and could hear much of the activity, including periodic thuds that I cannot figure out the cause of. These noises startled me awake on a few occasions and were present during my entire stay.

2- Better internet. I was traveling for a business conference and it literally just took 25 plus minutes for this page to load. It is slow and unreliable.

3- Get rid of parking fees. There is no reason a hotel guest should need to pay $20 additional to park.

4- Microwaves and minifridges in the guest rooms and not by order- as a standard item.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear newyorkerinmotion,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. I am sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I and my spouse stayed here four nights in March 2013. We had not been to the Washington D.C. area for some time, and our primary airline flies into the National (Ronald Reagan) Airport, so we were looking for a hotel with both an airport shuttle and a connection to the D.C. area Metro subway. We would have preferred a hotel with a short walking distance to the Metro, but that seemed hard to find in this area. This hotel provided a shuttle to the airport and the Metro station at the airport.

The problem with the shuttle to the Metro, instead of walking distance is time. Once on the van shuttle, it is only about 15 minutes to/from the Metro/Airport and the hotel, but if you get off the Metro and just miss the van, then you have a 30 minute wait at the airport before the next van. It is just not as convenient as a hotel near a Metro station. For sure, the van service, as defined, was great, the drivers were great, it is just a process you need to deal with.

The hotel also provides an hourly shuttle to historic King street. However, this shuttle does not start until mid-afternoon, so you can’t make a full day of the Alexandria museums or have lunch at one of the great restaurants. This shuttle also has a weird return time which the hotel lists as: “...bottom of the hour starting at 2:20pm.....”. One evening we tried to cover our bets by showing up at the shuttle location at 18 minutes after the hour and waiting through “the bottom of the hour”, but that didn’t help, so we were stuck paying a taxi to get back to the hotel, which was $8 with a small tip.

The room we had was with two double beds, roomy, a refrigerator and a vanity separate from the bathing/toilet area, very handy. The heating/air conditioning worked just fine. Maid service was great. There was an ironing board and an iron that had a wonderfully long cord on it, super!

A Giant Foods grocery store is right across the street from the hotel, so if you have kids and need to just pick up snacks for them, or if you just want some wine/beer and snacks for yourself and have some quiet time in your own room, its easy.

Internet is complementary, as typical for Holiday Inns, and usually worked okay, but was very slow or non-responsive in the evenings and even one morning which forced us to get out our own cellular hot spot. The room did have a lot of outlets, so we always could find a place to plug in our equipment to charge up.

We did not eat at the restaurant due to scheduling, and the restaurant is not open for lunch.

Overall we would certainly consider staying at this hotel again, its rates are reasonable for the Washington DC area, its clean, in a quiet neighborhood, and the staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: Our room on the third floor was quiet, plus the hotel is situated in a quiet neighborhood, no traffi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that our location was a great fit for your itinerary. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again, to enjoy more of Old Town Alexandria and what it has to offer. Next time you stay with us try out the bicycles that we have available that are free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stay at this hotel 4 or 5 nights per month. I really enjoy the bar, and Bill the bartender takes great care of us. Unfortunatly, the happy hour promotions have all but disappeared, and there is no reason to stay at the bar for dinner when there are so many options available within walking distance. I leave for work before breakfast opens at the hotel. Alex (front desk) kindly offeres me a coupon for a beer or glass of wine because I can't take advantage of the free breakfast. This perk has also gone away. I like the location of the hotel, and the staff is great, but it may be time to look elswhere for a place to stay that offers a couple of perks for frequent guests.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We like to know what our guest feel is necessary to frequently visit us. So please know we do have a promotion being launched this month. Our March Madness promotion for the NCAA basketball tournament beginning March 19th. We hope to continue to have more promotions to keep our loyal guest and patrons as yourself returning and keeping the relationships that has been established with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Nothing fancy about this place at all. Furnishings seemed c. 1960's but the place seemed clean. The rooms were large, a desk was provided as was a lounge chair. There was separation between the shower and sink so it made it easier for two to get dressed. The bed was clean and comfortable, the shower hot and the water plentiful. The in-room coffee at least tasted like coffee. Unfortuntely there was no tea available. The TV reception was crappy. The hotel restaraunt hours were poor, if you don't get down to breakfast till later (10:00 am on week days) you're SOL and will need to go off site. Parking is $10/night in the garage. Front desk folks were friendly and very helpful.

We stayed here on our last night prior to a flight out of the DC area. It was fine for that but not luxury.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on what we can improve. It is our goal to make sure every one of our guest has a great stay. We hope you chose to stay with us again in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!