“Good, but with Room for Improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #32 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
queens,ny
“Good, but with Room for Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in the DC area for a very important conference, and found this hotel to be budget-friendly and close to DC.

It is conveniently located just a block from a DASH bus stop that provides a 5 or so minute ride to the yellow and green metro lines, so it is REALLY easy to get around in DC from this hotel. The staff is really friendly and helpful. It is clean, well lit, and comfortable. The room service was prompt and the food was well-made and tasty- a little pricey, but laziness has a cost. The area is really nice and quiet, felt safe walking to the bus before the sun rose. There were a few conference groups in and out during my stay, so at times it was like traversing a crowd to get around.

There are some places where improvements NEED to be made!

1- noise insulation. With just next door neighbors opening there door it literally sounded like someone was breaking into my room. I was on the second floor directly above the lobby and could hear much of the activity, including periodic thuds that I cannot figure out the cause of. These noises startled me awake on a few occasions and were present during my entire stay.

2- Better internet. I was traveling for a business conference and it literally just took 25 plus minutes for this page to load. It is slow and unreliable.

3- Get rid of parking fees. There is no reason a hotel guest should need to pay $20 additional to park.

4- Microwaves and minifridges in the guest rooms and not by order- as a standard item.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear newyorkerinmotion,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. I am sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I and my spouse stayed here four nights in March 2013. We had not been to the Washington D.C. area for some time, and our primary airline flies into the National (Ronald Reagan) Airport, so we were looking for a hotel with both an airport shuttle and a connection to the D.C. area Metro subway. We would have preferred a hotel with a short walking distance to the Metro, but that seemed hard to find in this area. This hotel provided a shuttle to the airport and the Metro station at the airport.

The problem with the shuttle to the Metro, instead of walking distance is time. Once on the van shuttle, it is only about 15 minutes to/from the Metro/Airport and the hotel, but if you get off the Metro and just miss the van, then you have a 30 minute wait at the airport before the next van. It is just not as convenient as a hotel near a Metro station. For sure, the van service, as defined, was great, the drivers were great, it is just a process you need to deal with.

The hotel also provides an hourly shuttle to historic King street. However, this shuttle does not start until mid-afternoon, so you can’t make a full day of the Alexandria museums or have lunch at one of the great restaurants. This shuttle also has a weird return time which the hotel lists as: “...bottom of the hour starting at 2:20pm.....”. One evening we tried to cover our bets by showing up at the shuttle location at 18 minutes after the hour and waiting through “the bottom of the hour”, but that didn’t help, so we were stuck paying a taxi to get back to the hotel, which was $8 with a small tip.

The room we had was with two double beds, roomy, a refrigerator and a vanity separate from the bathing/toilet area, very handy. The heating/air conditioning worked just fine. Maid service was great. There was an ironing board and an iron that had a wonderfully long cord on it, super!

A Giant Foods grocery store is right across the street from the hotel, so if you have kids and need to just pick up snacks for them, or if you just want some wine/beer and snacks for yourself and have some quiet time in your own room, its easy.

Internet is complementary, as typical for Holiday Inns, and usually worked okay, but was very slow or non-responsive in the evenings and even one morning which forced us to get out our own cellular hot spot. The room did have a lot of outlets, so we always could find a place to plug in our equipment to charge up.

We did not eat at the restaurant due to scheduling, and the restaurant is not open for lunch.

Overall we would certainly consider staying at this hotel again, its rates are reasonable for the Washington DC area, its clean, in a quiet neighborhood, and the staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: Our room on the third floor was quiet, plus the hotel is situated in a quiet neighborhood, no traffi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that our location was a great fit for your itinerary. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again, to enjoy more of Old Town Alexandria and what it has to offer. Next time you stay with us try out the bicycles that we have available that are free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stay at this hotel 4 or 5 nights per month. I really enjoy the bar, and Bill the bartender takes great care of us. Unfortunatly, the happy hour promotions have all but disappeared, and there is no reason to stay at the bar for dinner when there are so many options available within walking distance. I leave for work before breakfast opens at the hotel. Alex (front desk) kindly offeres me a coupon for a beer or glass of wine because I can't take advantage of the free breakfast. This perk has also gone away. I like the location of the hotel, and the staff is great, but it may be time to look elswhere for a place to stay that offers a couple of perks for frequent guests.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We like to know what our guest feel is necessary to frequently visit us. So please know we do have a promotion being launched this month. Our March Madness promotion for the NCAA basketball tournament beginning March 19th. We hope to continue to have more promotions to keep our loyal guest and patrons as yourself returning and keeping the relationships that has been established with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Nothing fancy about this place at all. Furnishings seemed c. 1960's but the place seemed clean. The rooms were large, a desk was provided as was a lounge chair. There was separation between the shower and sink so it made it easier for two to get dressed. The bed was clean and comfortable, the shower hot and the water plentiful. The in-room coffee at least tasted like coffee. Unfortuntely there was no tea available. The TV reception was crappy. The hotel restaraunt hours were poor, if you don't get down to breakfast till later (10:00 am on week days) you're SOL and will need to go off site. Parking is $10/night in the garage. Front desk folks were friendly and very helpful.

We stayed here on our last night prior to a flight out of the DC area. It was fine for that but not luxury.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we always look forward to hearing from our guest on what we can improve. It is our goal to make sure every one of our guest has a great stay. We hope you chose to stay with us again in the near future.
Souderton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for a convention across the bridge at National Harbor, wanting to save some cash on our trip. This place is a pretty awesome part of the Holiday Inn chain. There's a Giant right across the street, which is super convenient, in addition to the little cafe that is part of the massive lobby. The hotel pool is accessible year round, and there's a shuttle to take you out to King Street where all the shopping and restaurants are in the immediate area. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful when we needed them. The room was clean, the heat/air worked well, shower pressure was good, the mattresses were comfy, and checkout was easy.

Parking in the garage was a little bit tough. A lot of the spaces have massive beams in the way and you can't truly fit a car in the spot. They need to repaint the lines or something. We had a tough time finding parking late at night when we would come back, due in part to heaps of people staying the same weekend for some kind of track meet. Said track meet teenagers and their mothers were particularly loud and obnoxious in the hallways early in the morning through the afternoon, but we handled asking them to keep it down on our own, instead of getting staff involved.

Parking is 20 bucks a night (ouch), but we joined the Priority Club rewards thing (for free) and only paid 10 a night instead. This parking fee didn't appear on the bill that was put under the door, so I did end up having to call the hotel after seeing the charge difference at home just to be sure. Aside from the Giant, there wasn't much conveniently close by, and historic Alexandria has a tragically lousy parking situation, so if you're interested in staying here to see Alexandria, go in warmer weather and walk it. We spent our days by the Harbor so it didn't matter much, and it was worth the price (AAA discount!).

Room Tip: You can smell the pool in the lobby near the elevators to the parking garage, so steer clear if that...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that are location worked out so well for you. Next time you stay with us try out the bicycles that we have available that our free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here during Inauguration weekend. The property is in close proximity to Reagan Airport and the Metro station (public transportation). They have a free shuttle that will take you to the airport or to Historic Alexandria. There are many places to shop and dine on the historic strip.
The staff were courteous and promptly responded to requests for extra towels, directions, etc.
There is a restaurant on-site. We ate breakfast there and it was ok and reasonably priced.
The property was clean (rooms, parking garage, elevators, restrooms).
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments of our staff and feedback on your experience. We are very glad that you experienced a great weekend here during the Inauguration. It's really good to know you will stay with us again. Let us know the next time you return we will give you some insider info on more of the local attractions for you to enjoy.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this hotel on Priceline after reading the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised! I stayed here in November and have been meaning to write a review. Front desk was nice, allowed me to check in early so I could go spend the day in Baltimore. The room was clean, the only issue I had with it was that I did see a couple of bugs (silverfish?) while there. But that didn't bother me too much, I didn't spend much time in the room and just made sure my bags and belongings were closed tightly so the bugs didn't travel home with me. The location was perfect as I could walk across the street to Giant if I needed something. Also loved the airport shuttle so I could catch the metro into DC instead of driving. The parking deck was being renovated when I was there so parking was free. I was directed to park at the Crowne Plaza and catch the shuttle to the hotel. It wasn't a bad walk though so I only used this option at night. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We're glad that you were able to get to your destinations without any hassles during the parking lot renovations, which was the experience we desired for our guest during that time when we were improving our parking lot. We hope that the next time you come you will take advantage of the bikes that are free for our guest. You could tour the area or go on the nearby bike trail and enjoy the beautiful scenery. If you stay with us on a weekend there is also a farmers market nearby to pick up items you might not get in the local grocery store.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria? Share your experiences!