“Good choice for visiting Washington” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Ottawa
“Good choice for visiting Washington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My father was at a conference and this was the hotel his workplace placed him in - I decided to tag-a-long to visit Washington.

Staff weren't overly helpful upon our arrival. We had a lot of bags + a cooler, I had to hunt for a trolley, and when I was clearly having problems trying to hold the door open while I tried to wheel the (broken wheeled) trolley, the staff just watched. Thanks guys.

Our room wasn't locked when I got upstairs which set off a few alarms in my mind... but after a few double-checks, everything was fine and it locked properly. The room was beautiful, although the set-up was a little odd: if you're sitting at the desk, you can't see the TV because of the cabinet, and the AC is level and right beside the bed which can make things overly chilly at night. Comfortable beds though.

I sleep with ear plugs, so not sure what the sound was like in the halls.

Location is about a 20min walk to the nearest metro station, then a 20min ride into Washington. But the hotel does have a shuttle to the airport (where you can catch the metro) which runs every half hour. General note for travelling in Washington, watch the times you travel because if you're travelling during rush-hour, your trip back to the hotel isn't exactly cheap.

Having the grocery store across the street is nice.

Hotel's close to the airport, but you don't hear planes - although you see one every so often.

Didn't try the breakfast, so can't comment on that one.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Not sure we'd pay the full-price if we were to visit Washington again, but it's a solid choice to use as a home-base for getting into Washington.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We had a terrible stay in this hotel. We were moving to Alexandria and needed a place to stay overnight with our cat. Very few hotels accept cats (which I totally understand), but this Holiday Inn does, so we booked the room without even considering the reviews. MISTAKE.

The walls and ceiling were paper thin, so we heard all the partying going on above, below, and next to us. We called the front desk twice about the noise, but nothing was done. The air conditioner leaked, so the floor was soaking wet (a hazard since we were staying there with our cat and a 2 year old). The shower was moldy, the room smelled musty, and we all left with strange bites after sleeping there. Finally, we got in late and had called ahead to request a late arrival and make sure a crib would be in our room for our arrival, since we would be transferring our sleeping son from the car right into the crib. When we arrived at 10:30pm, the crib was not in the room. It took about 30 minutes for the crib to arrive, by which time our son was in hysterics.

No one helped with our bags or even held the door open, even though they saw me struggling through with lots of bags, a litter box, a cat, a toddler, etc.

This was EASILY one of the worst hotels stays I've ever had, and I've traveled all over the world and stayed in some pretty awful places.

The only positive thing I can say about this stay was that they allow cats, and the room did not smell or look like cats had been staying there. We similarly were respectful of future guests and kept our cat in the bathroom for the night so that she wouldn't shed on the carpet.

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed here for 3 days for business. There are few bonuses about this hotel:

- Great location in decent neighborhood
- Grocery store across the street plus numerous restaurants in the area
- Shuttle that takes you to & from the Reagan Airport...you can catch the Metro there
- Comfortable beds

Here are few things we didn't like:
- The breakfast and food is not good. It wasn't part of our hotel package but we paid for it separately because it was convenient. It looks great from far away...but the eggs, potatoes, and sausage were COLD the 2 times we ate there. I cannot believe that with the amount of money they charge for the rooms and food, that they don't buy heaters to keep these food items warm. The coffee tastes bad too...very weak. The service was poor in the restaurant too. The lady told us that we couldn't eat there because we didn't have the "coupons" and it was for military. I am military, but she didn't bother to ask. She also didn't bother to ask if we wanted to pay for it separately, we offered that up.
- It costs $20 for parking

The only thing we liked about this hotel was the location and the shuttle service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We had a family trip to D.C. recently and stayed here. Though a Metro stop is not close, the shuttle service to DCA made it easy to make this our basecamp. The rooms were clean and the service was great. We were very happy with the AAA discount we received. All in all, we thought it was a good value and would stay there again without concerns.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have been a priority club member since about 1999 or so, so Holiday Inns are always my first choice. This particular Holiday Inn turned out to be my favorite in the DC area of a period of several years of traveling there.

For starters, I always get upgraded to a suite. This is probably due to my membership status, but the fact is that this particular Holiday Inn is the only place that consistently upgrades me. And the rooms and accomodations are always nice.

The staff is superb. They are always friendly and helpful. The lobby is warm and inviting. There's a decent bar and small restaurant right there, and a cafe on the ground floor. If none of that suits you, there's is a Giant supermarket right across the street, and a number of decent restaurant nearby.

I don't look for much when I travel on business, but this place always surpasses my expectations.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
MIlwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

The Holiday Inn and Suites in the historic district of Alexandria was a great value during our stay near DC. We were there with our two kids (ages 11 and13) and really can't think of a single complaint. The building/rooms are renovated and the beds were super comfy. The shuttle service was perfect - on time every time and easy to deal with. Being a busy time of year, the hotel was hectic but they handled the crowds very well. The front desk staff was exceptional - very focused on service. To get to DC, take the shuttle to Reagan National Airport and then pick up the Metro from there - way easier than hiking down to Alexandria's King Street Metro (about a 30 minute brisk walk).

Chanthaburi, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel. I had been flying for 21 hrs and was exhausted.
I may be exaggerating a bit, but I think this hotel has the best beds in the world. Nice touch having both soft and firm pillows available.

• Stayed May 2011