“Interesting place and probably alot of things you do not know about Washington” 5 of 5 stars
Review of George Washington Masonic National Memorial

Ranked #9 of 32 Attractions in Alexandria
Type: Monuments/ Statues, History Museums, Museums
Activities: City walk sightseeing
More attraction details
Owner description: A very visible tribute to George Washington stands on King Street in Alexandria, Virginia.
New York City, New York
18 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

It was our last day in Alexandria driving back home and while staying in the area for the 5 days with the kids- we passed by this sort of Pyramid like place everyday. I knew from business travels it was the Masonic Temple for George Washington but what was it exactly? So of course we had to go there. It was $8.00 package to take an elevator to the top to see the views of Alexandria, D.C. in the distance, and even Maryland to the right but where we looked prior to getting to the top was quite interesting more so than the views IMO. We took the guided tour and learned the orgin of how the Temple was made and by whom and going back to the early days of "The Masons". I really felt comfortable being in a Temple that a secret society who hold meetings in there somewhere and who knows what else they talk about but what I respect the most about the place whether you believe or not or think this place is weird- is --------there are SOME STANDARDS here and well I like that. There seems to be procedure and practice in whatever they do. Although we learned a small part about it. There seems to be some kind of order there and well. I can respect that.

For me-- yes I wanted to learn more and I took pictures, and listened to the tour. The tour guide was pretty informative. It was interesting to view documents and even go through several of the floors. I am told the elevator does not go up and down but rather to the side.

Also the number 13 seem to be visible in some areas (maybe some of you may have seen this).
I just wonder what was on the other floors we missed or shall I say we were not allowed to go in.
Hmmm.... a good visit. I would go back.

If you are interested in this kind of thing. You could spend at least 2-3 hours inside reading and looking around in the rooms (do not let this place fool you) and all of the exhibits.

Gift shop was pretty small. If you are in Alexandria I would highly suggest for you to stop by for a visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited September 2013

Brookline, Massachusetts
50 attraction reviews
“Excellent display of all things Washington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a grand building on a beautiful sight at the end of King Street in Alexandria. A must for fans of Washington, and of course for Masons. Beautiful setting, incredible views from the top. A great way to learn about the father of our country. And also a lot on the history and practices of the Masons.

Visited September 2013
South Jersey
8 attraction reviews
“Worth a look if visiting Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

May not be worth a special trip but if you happen to be in Alexandria and have interest in learning a bit about George Washington and Freemasonry, this attraction warrants a visit. $5 admission allows you to explore the majestic main hall and the basement exhibits but spend the extra $3 for the guided tour and access to additional areas including the observation tower with panoramic views of the DC area. Our tour guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable but at times got bogged down in dispelling media mythology surrounding the freemasons. I guess he's had to deal with too many conspiracy theorists there to get a glimpse of the inner workings of the "illuminati". Located a very short walk from the King Street-Old Town Metro station.

Dover, Delaware
42 attraction reviews
“Cool but Kind of Creepy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

While on Alexandria you'll have to climb the steps leading up to the National Masonic Lodge (since it is the highest point in the whole city). The view from the top is amazing, but I couldn't help but feel like I was trespassing on sacred ground or something. I know the Mason's are a "secret" society and being that I'm just a tourist I didn't want to get too close to the building and take pictures...just thought i'd be kind of rude. It is a very nice building though.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
37 attraction reviews
“Amazing and beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is definitely worth a look! So much history, not only masonic but of the famous people that we owe our country to. This was a must see for me as I have a past master for a son. Great history and antiques. Great portrait of George Washington. Beautiful view of Alexandria, VA from the hill. If you have time, take the tour that allows you to go up to the top. Would recommend to all. Very clean bathrooms as well. Easy access.