“A favorite stop for our out of town guests” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gadsby's Tavern Museum

Gadsby's Tavern Museum
134 N. Royal Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
703-746-4242
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 38 Attractions in Alexandria
Type: History Museums
Activities: Dining
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Discover Alexandria’s five-star hotel of the 18th century! Gadsby’s Tavern Museum consists of the c. 1785 tavern and the 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. The buildings were constructed by John Wise, but made famous by John Gadsby. Mr. Gadsby’s establishment was the center of political, business, and social life in Alexandria and hosted the likes of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Today the Museum offers tours, programs and special events.
Arlington, Virginia, United States
11 attraction reviews
“A favorite stop for our out of town guests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014 NEW

Gadsby's is a great stop for visitors and locals with out of town guests. The entrance fee is minimal. The tour guides enthusiastic and informative. The Museum gives you a good idea of how a traveler experienced Alexandria in the early years of the city. The place was an important location for significant events in those early years as well. The Museum often recreates those special events, and if you are lucky enough to be there at the right time, I highly recommend them. I like to finish the tour with lunch at the tavern so my guests get the full Old Towne experience.

Visited June 2014

Reston, Virginia
52 attraction reviews
“Mixed feelings about this one”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was really looking forward to this after reading good reviews. We reached at the museum in the afternoon. It wasn't at all crowded. We were greeted by a little girl in period dress as soon as we entered which was a surprise, but a good one. We entered into the tiny gift shop and asked for the tour. We bought 2 tickets (5$ per person, 1$ off if you have AAA membership) and he directed us back to the little girl, who directed us again to one of the rooms right behind her. We then, very quickly realized that ALL the docents were kids. Please don't get me wrong, we loved them and appreciated their effort. They did the best they could, but I believe our experience would have been much different if we had an adult docent guide us. As for the museum, it's filled with history. Two young girls were demonstrating ice-cream making, which was fun.

Visited August 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Fascinating historical site with great rum punch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Do not miss Gadsby's Tavern Museum! The museum is a fascinating place with loads of history - George Washington and many other famous Revolutionary War participants dined here numerous times. Then go next door to the restaurant and ask Alan to make you the best rum punch you ever had. He was so nice to talk to, and very knowledgable, too.

Visited August 2014
Oceanside, California, United States
10 attraction reviews
“My, my such memories of the past are evoked at Gadsby's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Seems like "just yesterday" I + my new husband innocently visited Gadsby's Tavern Museum, thinking of a possible libation, we were told the museum was simply that in 1969. But, since then, I've thoroughly enjoyed a lovely, yummy dinner in the dining room, surrounded by family & friends!

Visited July 2014
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Worthwhile and enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The receptionist and the tour guides were very friendly . We came early in the week, the tour groups were small, & were able to answer many questions after they took us to the various rooms. Learned how important political debates and plans were held there and in similar places in the colonies. My only disappointment was I was hoping to get some time in the tavern's original kitchen, but that wasn't part of the tour, as a small restaurant owner, I would have been fascinated by that. Also on the Key to the City Pass which you can get at the Visitor's Center, nearby on King's Street. ($10 for admission to several historic sites)

Visited July 2014