“Nice place, but hard to find and confusing” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Wineries
Attraction Details
Burke, Virginia
18 attraction reviews
“Nice place, but hard to find and confusing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The directions on their website are clear until you turn it what you assume is their driveway. There are no signs confirming that you are in the right place and litte parking. My friend and I wandered lost until one woman (an employee possibly - no way to know since the employees / owners don't identifiy themselves in anyway) told us to go to the restaurant since the tasting room was booked. Overall, the wines were good (I bought 3 bottles) and their pizza is great but I think it is explained well on what to do and the restaurant is VERY loud (even before the guy started singing).

Visited November 2012

4 attraction reviews
“Delightful tasting and an exceptional value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

An exceptional overall visit and wine tasting. Highly recommend the wines, pizza, and overall friendly experience.

Chantilly, VA
15 attraction reviews
“Nice wines and a great place to relax, eat and enjoy some live music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Quattro Goombas is anything but your typical Virginia Winery. There are no bougie pretenses at being a "pinky in the air" establishment. The owners' mission is to create a place of relaxation and fun where you can enjoy some nice wines and food made with methods and recipes going back many generations.

The wines here are young and made with imported grapes, but don't let that dissuade you from giving Goombas a try. There's a lot of love in those barrels and I enjoyed a number of them. One of the reds reminds me of a jug style wine I enjoyed in Little Italy, NY. My favorite is the Tradizione with a lovely hint of bourbon, and a carafe of wine slushies is always fun while enjoying some live music.

Most wineries offer cheese and crackers, but Goombas also turns out some really good sicilian pizza; good by NY standards. The pizza dough and breads are handmade each day, apparently using Grandma's recipe.

If I sound a little biased with this review, I suppose I am. This is a cool, family run operation close to home, and I admire how the proprietor, after leaving an engineering firm, decided to take a chance and make Goombas work as a full time business. While this is no Chateau Montelena, his story reminds me a bit of the movie Bottle Shock.

With their great location by Gilbert's corner and live music most evenings, Goombas is just a fun place to hang out.

Visited September 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“I've been to worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

The day I went I took a friend visiting from NY and while we were offered the chance to do a tasting the person doing it did not hesitate to let us know it was close to closing time and made it seem like they're doing you a favor. I was kind of thinking I was doing them a favor by patronizing their business. I hav no idea if this person was an owner or just someone who worked there. I was not crazy about any of the wines and neither was my friend who is generally not choosey about wine. There may have been more than one tasting area but on this day we were told the only place to taste was in an 'out building'. It was cool this day and no place to sit as there was live music and the limited seating was full. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that their setup was only temporary but with all the other VA wineries I won't return to this one.

Arlington, Virginia
“A fun place to enjoy some interesting wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Loved this place! Fun, energetic, great music, friendly owners, interesting wines. There's a great vibe going on here. I'll definitely be back!