“A working mill with excellent docent: a kernel of Virginia economic and food history on Route 50” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aldie Mill Historic Park

Ranked #1 of 5 attractions in Aldie
Type: Historic Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Highly recommended for people on their way to Middleburg or other nearby areas.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

My friend and I stopped by here only knowing it was a nondescript, modest looking building on the eastbound lane-side of Route 50. An eager and knowledgeable docent greeted us midway through his group tour and answered all our questions afterwards. I agree that it's a "more than I ever wanted to know" (http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/aldie.asp) situation where I was enthralled to learn about the price of a barrel of grain in the 1800s. I was fascinated to hear about farming and day-to-day living in Virginia and stories of specific individuals. This mill is a concrete way to imagine life for the ordinary person. I would bring children here. One gentle warning is that I'm sure the history shared is rather one-sided, as it always is, but if you can handle watching TV shows and knowing that this is just one perspective, you can handle this tour. The mill features hands-on learning activities. The tour guide seems to love his job and his enthusiasm made my day.