“Great scenery, good wine, terrible staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Afton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chester, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Great scenery, good wine, terrible staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had gone on a wine tour for my boyfriend's 30th birthday this past weekend. We were so very pleased with all of our four vineyard stops, for the exception of Afton Mountain. Very disappointing to say the least!

The gorgeous scenery really set us up with high expectations walking in to do our tasting. The staff were slow to get to us and huddled us with two other couples. You were offered to options of wine tasting menus. When asked why we could not pay for a tasting of each menu, out of sheer curiosity, the rude staff member gave no explanation. She gave a fast, dry and very unwelcoming description of the wines we were sampling. (She basically just read from the card description.) There was no smile, no thoughtfulness, no personality... nothing that seemed inviting from her. We ended up choosing two bottles of wine to purchase. While in line with our two bottles, our glasses were taken from us. I assumed this was to get us clean glasses or to wrap up those glasses. When at the register, I asked about our glasses and was told they do not ever give the glasses away. I reminded them we were paying the tastings as well as the two bottles of wine, and the woman at the register, very snooty, said "We do not give you wine glasses!" I was somewhat shocked in a way. I have been to many tastings and never have I walked away without glasses, as odd as that may sound. It was a bit cheap I thought... and rude of the woman to be so short with me about it.

To seal the deal of our final memories of this vineyard, we were waiting to use the restroom when a man, seeming to be an owner possibly, came over to inform us that if we needed to use the bathrooms, we had to walk down the hill to those bathrooms. This may seem insignificant, but after the treatment we received throughout our fast visit, this was the icing on the cake.

I can not tell you how disappointed we were in this vineyard, more so the staff to be specific. When there's over 200 wineries to choose from, we felt robbed that we had stopped here. Never will go back there, ever.

Visited September 2012

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I visited this beautiful vineyard in Central Virginia with a great view of the mountains and lake. You can enjoy a glass of vino from the patio or under the shade of a pavilion overlooking the vines. The wines are solid, especially the reds. Our favorite was the Toscana-style Festa di Bacco, though both the Cab Franc and Cab Sauvignon were pretty good as well. Of the whites, we liked the Gewurztraminer the best. Unlike some we've tried before (both domestic and foreign), the Afton Gewurztraminer is not too sweet with a very crisp finish. Our only gripe was the service, which at times seemed a bit stiff and distant (if well meaning). When we returned to buy more wine, it appeared that they had few staff on board as we did have to wait a while before someone showed up.

Visited September 2012
Annandale, Virginia, United States
9 attraction reviews
“great wine in a piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

the owners obviously take great pride in their craft and their location. beautiful accomdation in the pavilion and on the patio. Excellent wine tastings and things to go with it. We had a terrific picnic on the patio and felt welcome and unhurried. Elizabeth is a true expert.

Visited August 2012
Arlington, Virginia
53 attraction reviews
“Lovely site, friendly staff, nice wine too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were tired from a long day and arrived at about 4:00; we had the $5 tasting and the staff was very friendly and informative. We had a few snacks in the car and decided to get a bottle of Chardonnay to drink then, with our snacks on the patio, enjoying the lovely view. Just perfect. We each bought a bottle of Chardonnay to enjoy later. I'd visit again.

Visited August 2012
“Least friendly Winery in Va.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Although Afton Mountain Vineyards offers an excellent selection of estate grown wines, unfortunately their staff fails to welcome and greet guests properly. After waiting around for about 10 minutes we were finally greeted and offered a tasting. After pouring just two wines, our tasting guide left us and struck up conversation with another group, offering them reserve wines that were off their normal tasting sheet. As we patiently waited and hoped that we would also be offered a few "off menu" wines, we were left disapointed as our tasting guide never returned, but passed his responsibilities onto another employee. Afton Mountain Vineyards offers a great selection of wines, but they should truly speak with employees about providing a welcoming, friendly environment. Also one lady was very friendly with us and even extended the traditional industry discount which was debated first with the initial, rude employee. All in all, great wine but rude, snooty employees left my girlfriend and I taking our business elsewhere. With over 200 wineries in Virginia, even customers such as us, eager to buy wines might leave a great destination with great wine simply because of poor customer service