“Terrible Owners” 1 of 5 stars
Review of White Birches Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
White Birches Inn
You added White Birches Inn to your Saves list
268 Whites Mill Rd., Abingdon, VA 24210   |
Ranked #5 of 18 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Terrible Owners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I visited thie B&B for ther first time to celebrate our 41st anniversary. We were sitting on the backporch reading when the owners came out to visit. When they found out that I was in the insurance business they started commenting about how they detested insurance companies and did not trust them. This went on for a while and then they got to discussing politics. Mrs. Wartella even said that my wife and I did not like Obama because he was a BLACK BOY. She then left the porch several times and came back to make other points. I feel like I was the paying guest and did not come there to discuss and defend my occupation or beliefs. We were trying to relax and enjoy the weekend. I have been staying in B&B's for 30 years and have never run up like a situation like this. I would advise anyone to go to one of the other customer friendly B&B's if traveling to Abdingdon, Va. Doug NIchols

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grateman, Owner at White Birches Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
This review by the above person is most disturbing on many levels. My husband and I have been small business owners of this inn for 14 years and have been blessed to meet interesting people from all over the world and all walks of life….True Angels Unawares. Some guests have been famous, others not. During these 14 years we can count on one hand the number of difficult guests and on only two occasions have we suggested that guests leave… This was the second of those two occasions. The above person and I agree on only one sentence of his complaint. My husband and I did, indeed, chat with them for a few minutes. We try to make a point of chatting briefly with all guests upon arrival. In a five minute conversation we learned more than we wanted or needed to know. After commenting on our “Yankee Accents,” The above person told us that in where he grew up, everybody found our accent to be offensive. He told us he had been a Klansman and had a concealed weapon permit and carried it proudly. It was then we decided that we and our guests needed to be far removed from his provocateur behavior and suggested they would be happier at a different lodging facility. We told them there would be no charge for the room and Barter Theatre tickets totaling $500. In our opinion, it was $500 well spent and we extend our prayers and very best wishes to both of them. We are proud to say our ratio of return guests is very high. Guests may draw their own conclusions………Enough said about these people..
Paulette Wartella, Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mars Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

After deciding that we wanted to visit Abingdon, we began to search for a B&B, Inn, or hotel in the area for our weekend get-a-way. We tried to make reservations at another Abingdon B&B, but it was totally booked for the weekend by a wedding party. We then called White Birches, and reserved the Tennessee Williams Room. Abingdon is rich in history and we were looking forward to attending the Barter Theatre, but the play we were planning on seeing was sold out. If we had taken the advice of Mike and Paulette, the Innkeepers, we would have been able to see the play anyway; instead, we took in a movie at the local cinema. Mike and Paulette were very helpful and kind. Upon arrival, they gave us a map of Abingdon and gave us advice on restaurants, antiques, and things to do while we were there. We had a silver service breakfast each morning that was wonderful, it was interesting to sit down with the other guests, as well as the Innkeepers, and talk with them. Our stay at The White Birches Inn was a blessing in disguise, how fortunate that the other Inn was booked! While on our way home, we needed a shot glass souvenir and a Christmas ornament from Abingdon. We had searched tirelessly and had not found either. Paulette made some phone calls and found us exactly what we were looking for! We would highly recommend a stay at The White Birches Inn if only for a day!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

All rooms in this fine Bed and Breakfast are unique in their own way. Each room features it's own theme, focused from playwrights who bartered their work for Virginia Ham.

This is no ordinary bed and breakfast. They give a very warm welcome, and treat you like it's your very own home! I felt like I was at home during my stay! The hosts were extremely nice people, and I felt like I knew them like long time friends after five minutes of chit-chat!

Overall, no complaints. White Birches Inn really exceeds the standard for what a Bed and Breakfast should be!

Room Tip: Be sure to check out their unique garden. Very interesting part of my stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fredericksburg, Va.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We used the inn as a stopover during our roadtrip. A quaint inn located with walking distance of downtown. Our room was the smallest but was more than adequate and bed was very comfortable. Hosts were very friendly. Overall a very nice visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Our weekend trip to celebrate my husband's birthday was just perfect! This home's furrnishings are charming and "antiquey" (which I love), while also being cozy and comfortable (unlike some places which have furniture too small or too stiff to make onesself comfortable.) The back porch is beautiful and is a wonderful place to read, listen to birds AND great music, or converse with others. Paulette and Michael are helpful, informative, and enjoyable hosts. The location of White Birches is very close to Main Street shops, the Barter Theatre (if you go soon, be sure to see "9 to 5"....super!), and restaurants. We will definitely recommend White Birches to friends and family, and we look forward to our next trip. (BTW, we are veteran B&B folks....this one is a "winner!"

Room Tip: We loved the Porterfield Suite....large, with a nice seating area with comfortable chairs...nice bat...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the White Birches Inn in Abingdon on March 28-March 30th, 2012. This was our very first experience at a B&B and we can say that after this first experience the bar has been set extremely high for our future B&B stays. Everything about this B&B is first class. The rooms and the home are so cozy it really makes you feel at "home". We stayed in the Porterfiled Suite and it was so incredibly nice. Michael and Paulette are so friendly, welcoming, and accomodating that you feel at "home" too! And of course the breakfast they served us both mornings were very fine five star breakfasts! They were such delicious breakfasts! We could not have asked for anything more from our stay. It was perfect. We really did not want to leave when we had to leave on the 30th. It was such a relaxing stay!!! I would highly recommend staying at the White Birches Inn to anyone and I would recommend you plan a trip to Abingdon just so you can stay at the White Birches Inn! I know we will be doing so!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I highly recommend staying at the White Birches Inn. We enjoyed the beautiful antiques, the fun atmosphere, and an elegant historical touch. The room was in tip-top shape and everything was very clean and cozy.

We were also very impressed with the courtesy and generosity of our hosts. They took great care in preparing little details of our room, such as bath salts, candles, and other nice added touches. And, of course, the breakfast was delightful and we enjoyed the company.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We stayed in the Porterfield Suite. If you want a King bed, this is definit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to White Birches Inn? Share your experiences!