“Great Resource” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Attractions in Abingdon
237 attraction reviews
“Great Resource”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

While wandering through the town of Abingdon, I stumbled upon the historic society property. First I would like to note that the society is housed in a quaint old train depot. The second thing is that the place is jam packed with information about the town and surrounding areas as well as a vast variety of brochures (most of which I didn't see anywhere else in town). So stop in to gather some information and take a brochure or two....

Visited August 2013

Ashland, Massachusetts, United States
4 attraction reviews
“A great help in tracing family roots.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited the Historical Society of Washington Co. Va. this past week. My husband's family came out of the area over 100 years ago. We were able to find where the family's old homestead was as well as finding the family graveyard. They have a large collection of records and documents that help us learn about our family history. They are very helpful locating info and if they don't know they know someone who does. We had a very successful week exploring and learning about our family. I know we will be visiting again.

Visited July 2013
Salisbury, Connecticut
11 attraction reviews
“Cordial, helpful, even technologically aware”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

While I had no family here, they were perfectly content for me to sit there and use their wifi for a couple of hours and didn't even seem to mind that I was mostly on Pinterest and Facebook instead of something serious. I did look the organization up on Facebook, found their group and asked to join. The president accepted my application almost immediately and when I told her I was at the society right then, she said "Hold on, I'll be right over." It was great to get that kind of welcome and have it come via Facebook.

They were a huge help to my wife who was seeking ancestors who had lived in the area, and she came up with not one but two. They also were interested enough to ascertain that her ancestor was the owner of the muster field that the troops from there that fought at the battle of Kings Mountain assembled and gave us instructions to find the place and told us what to look for.

If you've do genealogy and you've got ancestors who went through the Cumberland Gap, you'll probably end up here sooner or later. Expect a warm -- and helpful -- welcome!!

Visited May 2013