“Cordial, helpful, even technologically aware” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 10 attractions in Abingdon
Salisbury, Connecticut
11 attraction reviews
“Cordial, helpful, even technologically aware”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

While I had no family here, they were perfectly content for me to sit there and use their wifi for a couple of hours and didn't even seem to mind that I was mostly on Pinterest and Facebook instead of something serious. I did look the organization up on Facebook, found their group and asked to join. The president accepted my application almost immediately and when I told her I was at the society right then, she said "Hold on, I'll be right over." It was great to get that kind of welcome and have it come via Facebook.

They were a huge help to my wife who was seeking ancestors who had lived in the area, and she came up with not one but two. They also were interested enough to ascertain that her ancestor was the owner of the muster field that the troops from there that fought at the battle of Kings Mountain assembled and gave us instructions to find the place and told us what to look for.

If you've do genealogy and you've got ancestors who went through the Cumberland Gap, you'll probably end up here sooner or later. Expect a warm -- and helpful -- welcome!!

Visited May 2013