“First Timers” 5 of 5 stars

Meadowview, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“First Timers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have lived here all my life, and finally decided to visit. I am so glad I did! We were enjoying our anniversary weekend locally, and stopped in during our walk through Abingdon. We were welcomed by the docent, and given an introductory history lesson. We were able to tour at our own pace. We enjoyed the look back in time, and we are proud this is in our back yard so we can visit again and again!

Visited May 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 263 helpful votes
“Free!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Anything for "free" may be subject to a little scrutiny, so I had to ask the docent why. Abingdon is doing its part to encourage tourism, she explained. With that, and a suggestion to ask her if I had any questions she returned to what she was doing before I walked in and let me take my time looking and thinking about the house and its history. I liked that because I have a tendency to linger in order to mull over the various items on display. I was able to read the explanations related to each room and look at the furnishings piece by piece. Thank you Abingdon.

Visited March 2014
639 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 370 helpful votes
“Very Well Maintained Historic Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is one of the better maintained historic homes I have seen in recent years. Yes it is a self guided tour, but there is a very knowledgeable volunteer on site and she was more than willing to answer questions. There is a very nice sheet, giving descriptions about each room and personally, I like to go at my own pace through a house, verses being forced to hear about things I have no interest in or already know. One of the great things is that this museum is free and is full of history.

Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Hints of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It is definitely worth popping in to see how two of Abingdon's early families lived. The house is charming; anyone who enjoys history houses will find it worth their while. You might even see a unique feature or two, like the built-in sick room in the parents' bedroom.

Visited July 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Self guided, but interesting Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A glimpse into Old Abingdon, you don't need much time to check out the house. My daughter says she thinks the music room is haunted, but not scary, just interesting.

Visited December 2012