“Rude, rude, rude!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Asheville, North Carolina
“Rude, rude, rude!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have never in my life been treated so poorly in any establishment. I went to this awful place about a week and a half ago with my mom and my two sons, inspired to stop by their sign outside advertising lavender iced tea. Of the three employees we had contact with during our brief stop, two were overtly rude, acting as though our presence was an immense inconvenience to them. The third was simply indifferent. I own a successful business in Asheville, NC - a town that thrives on tourism, as Abingdon does - and was horrified at the way we were spoken to when asking simple things such as a nearby park to eat our food (that we had just purchased from them). "Well, there's the creeper trail, obviously." I would never speak to anyone who walked into my store the way these people spoke to us. Complete condescending snobs without any small attempt at even feigning friendliness. Perhaps that's why their dining room was completely empty save for one table on a Saturday in June. If I could give it zero stars I would.

Visited June 2014
carrie g, Owner at Camella's Remember When, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
― Mother Teresa

“Lovely and classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The old lady welcomed us although we didn't reserve ahead. She showed us around and we totally fell in love with the place. We didn't have time for the tea but we definitely would have.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“the good and the bad, I'm split, it deserves 2 1/2 overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

THE GOOD: It's a great experience for kids as well as adults since the atmosphere forces you to adhere to manners and etiquette.
THE BAD: Owners and employees should also remember their manners and not alienate the customer. The owner seems a bit controlling and snooty.
THE GOOD:The tea and food were tasty and the presentation was nice.
THE BAD:The servings are skimpy and I was starting to feel they are either a struggling business or just very cheap.
THE GOOD: The owner is knowledgeable about the history of the house and tea.
THE BAD:The set up is poor and confining. And I always leave feeling that something was just not complete about my visit.

I am totally split down the middle. I think the owners know nothing about running this type of business (restaurant/gift shop), and they are totally missing a real gold mine. They have a very unique service and the potential is there for the whole package. But they are not realizing it yet. I truly hope they can take constructive criticism, because I would love to make this a regular stop in Abingdon. But for now I will stick with intermittent visits and watch for improvements.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My family visit Camella's very often and we are never disappointed! If your in the area, you must try it! You will not be let down!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vero Beach, Florida
“Delightful and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I came here for my birthday. What a nice treat! The owner/hostess was delightful and informative ... telling us about the history of the house and offering suggestions with the teas. The whole time was a nice pampering. We enjoyed the two different pots of teas, the soup, the scones (complete with cream and jam), the finger sandwiches, and the dessert. Everything was very tasty; wish I could rate things better than excellent. Nice value for all you get.

• Visited November 2013