“Go elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Edisto Island, South Carolina
“Go elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I travel a great deal, and as a single woman, prefer to stay at B & B's for their homey quality and the feeling of safety. This was the worst B & B experience I've ever had. Indifferent owners plus a very tired facility make any other option a better choice. Poor mattress and pillow quality (was very glad I'd brought my own pillow to use), threadbare towels, holes in bathroom ceiling, no bath mat, huge water and mildew stains, torn shower curtain. Room too dim to read - 40 watt bulbs?

It's August, and the Christmas decorations are still up? No 8 a.m. coffee, as promised - I'm sorry, it's not much to ask to have a pot of coffee available for your guests to help themselves.

Richard was pleasant, but Hazel was bizarrely hostile, unpleasant, and snarled and snapped at every opportunity. Breakfast was tasty, starting with fresh fruit including mango, but the grits were stone cold and coffee tasted peculiar enough to not have a second cup.

All in all, a pretty shocking experience for me, and a downer at the end of a long trip on the road.

I was delighted - and relieved - to find another inn after just a single night's stay here. Seems to me if your heart is not in being an innkeeper, it's best to not pretend to try. Passive-aggressive behavior and attitude just can't be disguised.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Victoria and Albert B & B in Abingdon for one night on the way back home from a short trip. The Inn is conveniently located in the center of Abingdon, and is walking distance from a number of antique shops and restaurants. The Inn is a former residence (circa 1892). It has a comfortable front porch and a rear porch on the second level overlooking the yard. The library is directly across the street, so visitors have access to computers and major newspapers from other cities. We booked the Raspberry room, which is on the rear of the house (second level). The room was nicely furnished, had a gas fireplace, and a roomy bathroom. There is a common area sitting room directly across the hall, with a small fridge stocked with sodas and snacks are also available. We enjoyed sitting on the second-story rear porch watching all the birds in the yard, including brown thrashers. The hosts, Richard and Hazel, were very pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast was outstanding. This is a nice stopover for travelers to Abingdon, and is convenient to the Virginia Creeper Trail for bikers. We would stay there again. The only possible upgrade would be better lighting in the room itself, which was a bit dark to read in the evening, but there were several other sitting areas where reading was possible. We choose a video from their library to watch in the room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Linden, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

My sister and I spent a night at this Inn because we needed to be in the area and didn't want to pony up for a room at the Martha Washington (but neither are we Motel 6 kinda gals). This inn struck the right tone in the right price range. My sister arrived and checked in before me and she warned me that the inn was "very Victorian and flowery" -- which I found to be appropriate, given that it's called the "Victoria and Albert Inn." If you've always wanted to go inside one of those grand old homes that line Abingdon's historic district - here's your chance to be a guest! Three floors of Victoriana, rose chintz, and floral wallpaper. Relax and enjoy. The inn was clean, the linens were of good quality, the rooms were beautifully done according to theme, there were toiletries in the bathrooms, magazines by the reading chairs, and a nicely stocked library of videos and books. The bathrooms were large and luxurious, the breakfast was at a reasonable hour, beautifully presented, and of excellent flavor and quality. The innkeeper and his wife didn't hover or fawn (we never saw her), they were courteous and efficient and not at all intrusive. (The only thing that gave me pause were the lace curtains on our very tall bathroom window which faced the hospital parking deck.)

I must concur with other reviews that the associated Hardware Company Restaurant, while acceptable, is not the best (or nearest) dining available in Abingdon. But since this review is of the inn and not the restaurant, I give it five stars.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We had a generally positive experience, with a few glitches. We stayed in the Gold Room on the third floor, which was nicely furnished and had a view of the garden. However, the TV didn't work and there was no way to get help at about six in the evening. The three-course breakfast the next morning was outstanding -- but the promised coffee for early risers never made an appearance. Finally, do not take the innkeeper's recommendation to have dinner at her restaurant (Withers Hardware); the free dessert for patrons of the inn did not make up for the mediocre food and slow service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Radford, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

This was our first stay at the Inn ;while we have been to Abingdon many times. Read some of the Trip Advisor reviews befor going on our trip. Some of the negative reviews made me wonder what I might be getting into. Now having spent the night there and totally enjoying the visit, I wonder from where the negatives come from. Our hosts, the room and breakfast were great. We will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I have never stayed in a B&B with a Trip Advisor rating lower than "very good" so I was reluctant to make reservations at the Victoria and Albert which was rated 11th out of 12 B&B's in Abingdon. However, because I wanted to stay within walking distance of the town and because I had a gift certificate which the Victoria and Albert accepts (not all B&B's do) I went ahead and booked the Gold Room for 3 nights.
Because it rained the entire time we were in Abingdon, we spent more time than I had anticipated in the B&B curled up with our books.
We found the house to be lovely, situated on a quiet street and yet close to the Barter Theatre where we attended a play, and several restaurants and antique stores.
Our room on the third floor was charming, well maintained and kept clean at all times. It had a good sized bathroom with a whirlpool, good lighting and came equipped with a makeup mirror and terry bathrobes.
The inn keepers, Richard and Hazel were cordial, friendly and hospitable. The breakfasts, consisting of 3 courses, were delicious. Richard did the serving and Hazel the cooking and once the breakfast was served Hazel made a point of coming out of the kitchen to chat with her guests.
I would definitely feel comfortable recommending the Victoria and Albert to friends and I hope it advances up and out of its 11th place ranking!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Asheville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We just returned from a most disappointing stay at this inn. We choose to stay at B&B's to support small business & because, generally, they provide a welcoming, homey atmosphere. Not the case here. We were met by Richard who showed us the basics of the inn. As it was a beautiful afternoon; we decided to enjoy the 2nd floor porch. The cushions had long since seen better days. Those that were not literally spilling there fillings, were filthy. We retreated to the front porch where the cushions had long since lost there "cush" and the glass table was dirty, but we could at least enjoy what was left of the afternoon in relative comfort. I understand that it is early April, but the owners were aware that they were having guests and the day was lovely. Five minutes & some Windex would have gone a long way.
We had evening plans to go to dinner, at their restaurant - & to the theater. When we returned we tried to watch the NCAA tournament on our TV. It was so small {about a 15" diameter} that we could get the game, but not the score, as there was not enough room on the screen. I should note here, that we had booked another room, but Richard informed us at check in that due to plumbing problems we had "upgraded" to another room, that retails at $160/night. They flyer in this room specified turn down service, it didn't happen. In the morning we discovered that that bathroom tub had drainage problems. There were 8 lights over the mirror, 6 were candle shaped & thick with dust, one "standard" bulb, burned out & one halogen bulb. Bathroom supplies were in a dust encrusted bowl; the waste basket was lined with a WalMart bag. I know this is incredibly picky, but at $160/night {which we did not pay, we paid $130} I expect more. In fact, I expect clean & dusted for a whole lot less!
Breakfast was three courses & good. Richard served - still hadn't seen Hazel. When we finished he informed us he would be waiting in living room when we were ready to settle the bill. Kind of "Don't let the door..." We met him & paid. Not once were we asked if everything was okay or, for that matter, any other nicety. Hazel never appeared at all & she was there, as she had made breakfast. We have never encountered such, cold, uncaring inn keepers.
I will note here, that my dinner at their restaurant was poor. When I informed the waiter that we were staying at the Inn , he said that the owner was at the restaurant & would talk with me. Hazel never appeared, the chef did & apologized for all the mistakes. I have to believe that Hazel & Richard were well aware of the dinner screw-ups. This may be why Hazel never chose to introduce herself, but Richard should have said something. He was aware that we were having dinner at their restaurant and asking about our meal would just be considered common courtesy Thus my title, the devil is in the details!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Victoria and Albert Inn? Share your experiences!