“Friendliest hotel in Abingdon, VA” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Friendliest hotel in Abingdon, VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I cannot express how wonderful the staff at the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon, VA were to us during our stay in May 2012 and again this year in 2013. Danny Owen, Front Desk Clerk, made all of us with the 961st Engineer Reunion , feel like we were part of his family. The room was very clean and housekeeping was very efficient and friendly. We were very happy to see that Jane was also still on staff from last year in the breakfast bar. She always has a smile and a friendly word for everyone she meets. The food was also very good and included hot and cold breakfast items. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in the Abingdon area. We have already decided that if we have a reunion next year, it will probably be at the Holiday Inn in Abingdon, VA where we feel like family!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We want everyone to feel like family when they visit our property. Danny and Jane along with the rest of our staff strive to make every guests stay a wonderful experience. We have enjoyed having your group with us over the past two years and look forward to having you stay with us again next year.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Blacksburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

From storing our bicycles to informing us of a local festival going on during our stay, we can't applaud this staff enough. Staff was sincerely helpful and friendly(as opposed to "oh, not another guest to deal with.). The room was very clean, bed was comfortable, and the property seemed to be generally well cared for. The individual managing the breakfast kept the area clean and kept the food items well stocked, all while rotating among the guests to see if there was anything else she could get for them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest from the interstate (to avoid the hum of the noise)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our staff always tries to deliver the highest level of service possible to every guest and visitor to our hotel. The staff and I are happy that you found your stay so enjoyable and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Salem, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I can't not express in words how wonderful my stay was at the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon!! Unless things change as far as employees, you will never stay at a more friendlier place. I will try to tell you all the wonderful things I experienced while staying at this hotel in Abingdon. We went down to re-supply my son while he was hiking the Appalachian Trail. My daughter when with me and she has some physical disabilities, so I reserved a room with two double beds and handicapped shower. Since she was military I asked if they honored any kind of military discount. They said they did, but their quota had been met, unfortunately.
Upon arrival, we found out our room had been given to someone else. They bent over backwards to make sure we were happy and boy were we EVER!! They gave us a room with a king bed and handicapped shower and another room with 2 double beds for the price one one room and even allowed our military discount. The price went from what we expected it to be of $117 a night to $88 a night. WOW.
The people at the desk (especially the day guy) and the breakfast bar in the morning and the cleaning folks were SOOOOOOO NICE!!!
The breakfast bar was really good with a large variety of your typical breakfast menu. Everything was delicious. The breakfast bar had everything you wanted. There was coffee in place 24 hours a day with plenty of supplies (milk, sugar, flavored milk,etc...). We got our rooms very close to the front door and with the handicapped parking we didn't have to walk to far to get our stuff to our rooms and back, plus our rooms were side by side.
We had my daughter's service dog and they happily accepted him. If you walked to the outside door at the end of the hall they even had poop bags and a place for her to do her business.
The room was very nice, the beds extremely comfortable and there was a microwave/refrigerator in the room along with coffee pot and hair dryer. My room was a nice size and my daughter's room was HUGE.
There was not much of a view, but you could walk to several fast foods places (Huddle, Burger King, Wendy's and right next door was a sit down sea food/steak restaurant that was really good and the prices were reasonable. Also, downtown Abingdon and the Barter Theater as well as a great movie theater were only a couple of miles down the road.

I just can't say enough about the place. If you have to go to Abingdon, VA for any reason I would highly recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I will mark excellent for all questions, but I wish there was a place I could put excellent PLUS.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of our property. I have addressed the issue of your accessible room being rented to another guest with the staff to ensure that this does not happen to another guest. I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused and am glad that the solution I provided to you met your family's needs. Our staff takes great pride in our property and the service we provide. The staff and I want every guest to have a positive experience with our property and the town of Abingdon. The staff and I enjoyed having you and your family stay with us and look forward to seeing you all again in the near future. Good luck to your son as he continues his journey on the AT.

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

A college friend from the opposite direction and I decided to meet in Abingdon for a brief get-together, as it is a central location and has the added bonus of the Barter Theatre, a top-notch venue for play productions. We chose the Holiday Inn Express as they offered a deal combining a night's stay and tickets to the play, for a reduced rate. The Holiday Inn accommodations were standard but nice, clean, and spacious. All needs were met in a friendly, courteous manner by the very helpful staff. The only glitch was that the coffee maker did not work, but this was not a big deal as plenty of coffee and an array of breakfast items were available just down the hall. Each staff member, no matter the time, always greeted us very cordially. All in all it was a really nice stay.

Room Tip: We were given a choice of floors and chose a 1st floor room away from the vending machines. It was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we apologize about the coffee maker in the room not working. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Danny helped me at the front desk to get a room for my husband and myself that was never exposed to dog or cat dander. We are both allergic to animals and he succeeded in getting us a room that had never had dogs or cats in it. I was very surprised that he knew that I had stayed there before (over a year ago) while traveling to Tennessee. I will definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We are pleased that we could accommodate your specific needs for a pet free room. While we are a pet friendly hotel our third floor is completely pet free to accommodate guests with allergies. We thank you for your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice Hotel with Hot Breakfast. I had a business meeting in Damascus, VA last week and wanted to stay somewhere right off the interstate. I like staying at Holiday Inns because I don't like surprises. The rooms are very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is hot and also very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We want every guest to start their day off with a great breakfast. The breakfast staff takes great pride in preparing and stocking the breakfast every morning. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Price great especially with the Barter Theater package. Front desk people extremely polite, helpful and accomodating. Hotel extremely clean. Breakfast above average and plenty to eat and good quality. Breakfast lady very friendly and kept it very well stocked.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We are so glad that we could provide you with a great stay and experience during your trip to Abingdon The Barter Theater is one of many popular attractions here in Abingdon that are within minutes of our hotel. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Abingdon? Share your experiences!