“Great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of West Mountain Inn

You added West Mountain Inn to your Saves list
West Mountain Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   144 West Mountain Inn Road, Intersection River Rd and Rte 313, Arlington, VT 05250   |
Special Rate
Midweek Winter Get Away
Ranked #3 of 11 Arlington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in late September, just as the leaves were changing. I'm sorry that I didn't get to take the time to walk around the hiking paths on the property because I'd filled my days with so much to do in the area. The property is beautiful, the inn is beautiful too. I had dinner in the restaurant my first night and it really filled me up, though I wasn't that impressed with the venison. Breakfast both mornings was fantastic. The front desk staff was helpful and gave me advice on some of the things I wanted to see in the area. Definitely take advantage of some of the suggestions they have in the book in your room. My only complaints (if they can be that) are the walls are a bit thin...but it's a pretty old building so you can expect some of that, and that I didn't have TV - which is my own fault for not noticing until I looked at the directions in the guidebook while I was on my way there. They were nice enough to suggest places I could go to watch a very important football game I wanted to catch since some ridiculous woman was using the only tv in the inn to watch some silly movie on lifetime. One of the reasons, silly that it might be, that I was looking to stay here is I was looking for something similar to the inn idealized in White Christmas (the Bing Crosby/Rosemary Clooney movie) - and it was very much like that, without the floor show.

Room Tip: The Ira & Ethan Allen room is nice with a little enclosed porch. Unfortunately part of the view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Stoneham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had our daughter's wedding here. We rented the Inn and had the wedding in the barn. We had stayed twice before the wedding to sure up plans. We did not have one moment that was not the best. Our friends and guests are still talking about this wonderful place. The staff was friendly and helpful always there but not over the top. The place was charming, the food was great. the grounds were beautiful. Everything a Vermont barn wedding. Memories for a lifetime.

Room Tip: Ask to see any rooms open, or look on line. Some have fireplaces and sitting areas. There are rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

A warm welcome, comfortable beds, and fabulous food. The West Mountain Inn is a fabulous place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life.Try the evening meal, it is both exceptional value and quality

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the West Mountain Inn as a weekend getaway (we live in NYC). It was fantastic and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The staff was very friendly, the location (set on ~150 acres) was extraordinarily picturesque and I loved the food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was at the West Mountain Inn for a wedding over Labor Day weekend. The grounds and rooms are lovely. I stayed in the Mill House - a short, steep walk down the hill from the main inn. There are three "condos" in the Mill House with two bedrooms each, one bathroom, a kitchen and living room area plus the shared deck. Perfect for families or groups of friends. A few things to note - there is next to no phone service and although each building has wireless, I did have issues getting access (but this is definitely the kind of place you want to be "unplugged")! My one negative comment is that the food was a disappointment - bland and mediocre. But hte grounds and inn are very lovely and worth the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Perhaps we were expecting too much from this much praised inn but although the setting is lovely the poor standard of service made it somewhere we would not recommend. We were never greated by name, never asked whether we had had a good day and given no advice about what to do. The waitress for dinner was so unsmiling we wondered if she had a facial deformity - I have never seen someone so sullen at a meal. She didn't have a medical problem as we saw her laughing with a friend out back. We only had one evening meal which we had been really looking forward too but very poor the toughest steak and veal of our trip. Our advice would be to eat out jonathans only 5mins away was excellent, friendly and good value. Worst was breakfast, on the first day I asked for marmalade with toast and was told there was only jam - strawberry or apricot ,I chose strawberry but was told it had run out. The next two days there was no jam at all we were told they make there their own! Clearly not enough, how can an upmarket inn not have any jam for breakfast 2 days running? Avoid the twin room on the second floor, hot and airless.
The west mountain inn isn't cheap many like it but they are clearly resting on their
Laurels my advice would be to choose one of the competition

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
amiebe, Manager at West Mountain Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear LMW205,
I am very sorry that you were dissappointed with your stay here. We strive very hard to make sure everyone is made to feel comfortable. Certainly all of our guests are important to us. If our staff had known you needed advice on things to do in the area, I'm sure they would have been happy to assist you.
I will look to see who your waitress was and speak to her about her about smiling and being more friendly to guests. I'm sorry that your steak was not up to par. If you had mentioned that to your server or our innkeeper, we would have offered you something else. We never want guests to go away unhappy. I agree with you about the jam, someone in the kitchen should have gone to the store to get some as soon as we ran out. We pride ourselves on our breakfast and hope that you didn't let the lack of jam ruin your breakfast when there are so many other delicious options to enjoy.
I'm not sure what was happening with the twin room. It has an ample-sized air conditioner. It seems to be working fine.
It is disheartening that you feel that we are "resting on our laurels". We work very hard to make all of our guests feel special and it's very worrisome that we did not reach our goal with your visit.
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Wonderful setting and facility, excellent food, excellent service. Extremely clean.
Would definately stay here again !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to West Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!