“Oof...Not so hot at the Rockin R” 2 of 5 stars

You added Rockin R Ranch to your Saves list
Rockin R Ranch
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   775 N Highway 22, PO Box 458, Antimony, UT 84712   |
NYC
“Oof...Not so hot at the Rockin R”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

Well, we had a large family reunion here and lets just say...it was not a "rockin" good time. The food was terrible and they ran out of it! We were told to expect many different activities, and only 2 actually happened, horseback riding and river tubing. Both of those events were fun when they finally happened, but everything at the Rockin R happens in fits and starts. Don't stay here until they have a major over haul of the staff and ownership. The location is lovely and like I said, the riding and tubing was fun, but this was not worth the expense. Boo! Good thing I love my family so much-they were the best part!

• Liked — Ummm....I'm thinking....
  • Disliked — Ummm....not enough room....
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cedar Hills, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

This place is a Dump with a capital D. It is dirty, in disrepair (the headboard on my bed was being held in place by the night stand), and shabbily decorated. My room was so small that there was barely enough room for the two full sized beds (not queens as I had assumed).

The food was so terrible that I can't begin to convey it. While they describe the food on their website as "good, down-to-earth, savory home cooking" don't believe that. We were served the same things the next day if we didn't finish the first time around and they even ground up the hamburgers served for lunch into the chile that evening. Salad is ice berg lettuce with a few tomatoes thrown in. I saw nothing like the "turkey, stuffing, yams, barbecued chicken with baked beans and corn on the cob" promised on their website but instead was delighted with cold tater tots, runny eggs, and mystery meat that I was afraid to touch. Worst of all, there are signs forbiding you to take no more than one of most items (not saying that you'd want to but it still smacks of rudeness). If you don't heed the signs (my son tried to take two rolls), there are staff members on guard watching you who get on your case if you take too much. Funny since their website suggests " Don’t forget second helpings!"

I heartily recommend that you stay very far away from this place. I can hardly believe we wasted a thousand dollars on three lousy days there.

• Stayed July 2006
simplejoy, Manager at Rockin R Ranch, responded to this review, September 21, 2007
My name is Roy D.Myers, I came in as manager of the Rockin R Ranch in late July 2007. I visited the ranch previous to taking over and I would agree with some of the derogatory comments, but not all. The purpose of the ranch is not ot provide 4 or 5 star accomodations, it is to give the guest the best possible idea of what a family owned cattle ranch would be like. I have worked hard to organize schedules so that each person and family can get the activities they desire. I find that those who complain are those who expect candles on the table and a waiter with pad in hand. I have been working up to 16 hours per day to oversee the kitchen personnel in preparation of meals. We now are on the road to organized meals with consistent quality. Our cooks have many years of experience and love to cook for the guests. We accomodate requests for birthdays, making cakes and I have seen a great deal of satisfaction come to those who visit with expectations of having good clean family fun. Our two bands entertain at least 3 nights a week and I have been complimented highly on those efforts. I can see that the Rockin R is not for the elite visitor, just this week I was glad to see a complaining visitor leave due to overexpectations. We cannot entertain 16 hours a day, it is just impossible to take complete responsiblitiy for your experience. Those visitors who do take that responsibility have gone away as lifetime friends. I have enjoyed the European visitors this summer, they appreciate their once in a lifetime opportunity to ride, dance, hike and just relax in the perfect country setting. Last night September 20, 2007 as I galloped acrossed a grass field with two visitors from Holland I saw the joy that we as spoiled Americans cannot seem to grasp. Whine if you want, but there are more smiles than whiners at plain old Rockin R Ranch. Come see for yourself!

Been to Rockin R Ranch? Share your experiences!