“Great experience - will definitely come back” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #48 of 187 Hotels in Austin
pismo beach, california
“Great experience - will definitely come back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

Was not sure of what to expect; but this hotel was charming, historic, decorated for the holidays and a nice change from mega-hotel clones. The room (and bathroom) was welcoming. Not a great view out the window, but oh well. All the amenities I needed and wanted. Just a short walk away from great restaurants and live music row. Can't wait to go back to Austin, and will definitely stay again at the Driskill. Hotel staff was exceptional, very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

My husband surprised me with a stay at the Driskill for our anniversary. It's a lovely old, grand hotel, with wonderful little architectural details. Happily our room carried through these details, with vaulted ceilings, high windows and lush decor. To be honest, you can definitely tell that this is an older hotel, with all the associated bumps and creaks, few worn areas, less sound dampening to the outside (which is why we specifically requested a room that did not face bustling 6th street). But that almost adds to the charm. We had intended to visit their bar happy hour for a drink and snack, but the menu was so good that we ended up simply having a dinner of small tastings -- carpaccio, tuna tartar, kobe sliders, cheese plate, etc. Service was professional, swift and friendly, and the setting was cattle baron comfy with dark woods and deep leather seats.

Only one hiccup appeared at breakfast at the 1886 Cafe. Our server was slow, unfriendly and either distracted or bored. Kept forgetting to bring things we'd requested/ordered, had to be sought out for coffee and water refills. And the food was subpar -- clearly room service variety, mass produced breakfast. If I'd known that I'd be getting the same food, I'd have lazed around in that amazingly comfortable bed and ordered in.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Buda, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

So the hotel is supposed to be haunted and spooky; HAAA,"Are you kidding me? '. The only thing haunted and spooky there is their kitchen. That was some of the worst food I have had in a long time. I was there for a christmas party and was happy as long as I was at the party but once the party was over then the gouging begins at their bar. Nice bar but you pay for that bar everytime you buy a drink. Make sure to not drink any of the beverages in your room refridgerator because those are some high dollar drinks. I did'nt mind spending extra cash on drink than I normally would but you would think that you should get better service out of the whole deal. The thing that pissed me off the most is being accused of smoking in the room and getting hit with a $500 charge. I have been trying to get in contact with the right people there to get this removed from my billing but can not get anyone to call me back. You would think that someone would call and let you know that they plan on billing you $500 but they would rather steal it from you instead. It will take a couple of months to get my money back but it will happen. I cant beleive they would steal from their own customers. I hope and pray they go out of buisiness. The rest of my days will be dedicated to hurting their buisiness. Don't plan on sleeping good in that place either. The beds suck and the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
I regret that you found The Driskill's food below your expectations. The Hotel has a long history of serving some of Austin's finest meals throughout the hotel's outlets and from our Banquet and Catering departments. Having just garnered Zagat's Top 25 Hotel Restaurant awards, we're hopeful that our food is always of the quality that every customer expects. The Driskill Hotel has been a non-smoking hotel for nearly a decade - which is annotated on our web site, posted at the front entrance and in every guestroom. If you were erroneously charged, please contact me at the hotel and we'll rectify this issue. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

This historic hotel is beautiful this month with all the holiday decorations. There is a massive tree in the entrance, gingerbread house village, other lighting which all adds to the charm of this old hotel. Our party had three rooms. All are tastefully decorated, tall ceilings, very comfortable, fresh. The other floors of the hotel are all charming. The second level has a wonderful room full of leather furniture and large screen TVs. The mini bar was filled with a nice variety of wines and beers. Our group ordered a pecan pie from the bakery/cafe to be delivered to our room which we enjoyed. The brunch was enjoyed. I wanted to sleep in on Sunday morning but the cleaning staff was extremely loud and chatty and could be heard all morning. I didn't appreciate that part of my stay. Overall it was a fantastic stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

You feel like you're stepping back in time at this lovely, history-filled hotel. Top notch service from the moment you enter until you check out. The on-site restaurant serves delicious cuisine for every appetite! This hotel has many ammenities not found in other hotels we've stayed.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Twin Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010 via mobile

It's odd how precise the reviews are here. The vent IS a hurricane, the bathroom IS strangely dark, the common areas ARE striking. I spoke to the concierge today and it was like she was reading from a script from here. I asked when I should leave to catch an 11:45 flight tomorrow. She looked me dead in the eye and gave me a chilly, "Morning or evening?" I had to chuckle when I answered certainly not at midnight and she defensively said people DO leave at midnight. (Really?) But I really like this place! Screams opulence, vintage, Texas. Great bar staff!

• Stayed November 2010
Twin Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

• Stayed November 2010

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!