“High Dollar for Little but Ambiance” 2 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #44 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belton, Texas
“High Dollar for Little but Ambiance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at The Driskill while attending a conference at the convention center which was within walking distance. Most the staff at The Driskill were exceptional and the only thing that could have been done better during our stay was housekeeping. I had to request washcloths, shampoo and conditioner after housekeeping had cleaned the room. The total bill was over $700 for a 3 night stay for a tiny room and a tiny bathroom. The shower was not separate from the rest of the bathroom so I could not use the sink without getting wet while my husband showered. Then we had to use the towels to dry the floor to make the room usable again. The TV in the room had faint lines scrolling on the screen and the Fire Alarm went off in our room for no reason. The hotel fixed the fire alarm quickly and did not care to report the TV issues since we were not there to watch TV. We found the value of the stay to be far below the amount we spent. The hotel also has an odor in the lobby due to its historic nature. I found it unpleasant. I will not be staying again. I would recommend finding a different hotel and just going in for a drink to see this historic building.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have previously lived in Austin and I have been to weddings there and the restaurant, but this was my first time to stay at the Driskill.
When you book this hotel, you need to keep in mind that it is a Historic hotel, not a Modern hotel.
Therefore, the lobby, dining areas, and every public space in between will be beautiful and pristine, but the rooms will be small and unexciting.
That is my general overview of historic hotels, nothing to fault the Driskill over!

That being said, everything was perfectly kept! Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed as it was a Monday night.
The staff were lovely and very accommodating in every instance.

My only complaint is the price for parking, $50! I've stayed at numerous hotels downtown, and that was definitely the most I've paid to leave my car in a lot overnight.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are small. You're already spending a good chunk of money, so it's worth u...
Green Features: The only thing I noticed during my stay was that they only launder the bedding every 3rd day. No other postings about being environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is my first Travelocity review. I spent Sunday night, 7/6/14 at The Driskill for my anniversary and while we had an enjoyable stay, my GPS was stolen out of my car during its time with the Valet. We arrived and gave the keys to the attendant around 7:30 that evening and didn’t take it back out until check-out the next morning. When I got in my car, I noticed my center console had been opened and various items were on the passenger side seat. I didn’t think much of it, other than weird, but thought my husband might have grabbed something out in a hurry when we parked. Halfway home, looking to take an alternate route to avoid traffic, I realized my GPS was missing along with the car charger for it.
I called the hotel and was told by the Valet Manager that I could file an inquiry with the hotel. I filed a claim with my insurance, and am contacting the hotel next to file a complaint. I am extremely disappointed this happened since the hotel has such good reviews. I was made to feel like it’s my fault, and nothing is going to happen, however even if the valet attendant wasn’t the thief, they left my car unlocked and allowed someone to enter it and take whatever they wanted, which is completely unacceptable.
On a side note, the bed and pillows were uncomfortable.

The hotel is gorgeous and I would recommend having a drink and dessert at the bar, but I don’t think I would go back to stay.

san antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

After dreaming about staying at the Driskill for many years, I decided to stay for two nights. As a Hyatt platinum member, I was not offered an upgrade, which I would have gladly paid for as the room was terribly small--basically only big enough for the bed. I didn't feel like going back down to change rooms, so we stuck with the tiny King room. To give you an idea of the room size, the chair in the king room was placed at the foot of the bed and we had to move it against the desk wall as it obstructed traffic. The bar and happy hour was fantastic, as was the lobby. For the price, I would suggest the Hyatt Place downtown, which is much more spacious and gives you a free breakfast to boot. You can walk from that Hyatt to take advantage of the Driskill happy hour, which was wonderful.

Room Tip: If you want space to move around, bite the bullet and book a suite, otherwise you either have to sit...
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We came to Austin to celebrate the 4th of July and wanted to stay downtown for the festivities. The Driskill's location could not have been better, literally at the crossroads of Congress and 6th Street. The hotel is old and historic, but it is well maintained and very clean. The bar was lively and had live music, a great place to have a cool cocktail and unwind.

The room was small (not abnormal for an historic location) but nicely appointed and comfortable enough. The staff were excellent and went out of their way to accommodate a minor request.

A couple of items held me back from rating a "Five". Keep in mind this room cost about $400 before taxes and is supposed to be about as luxurious as one can get in Austin.

1) There were only three smallish towels and one extra hand towel in the room, which might have been enough for an evening and the following morning *if there were turn down service* which there was not; we returned to our rumpled bed and damp towels which were not dry by our morning showers.

2) There was no complimentary bottled water (or anything else) in the room. I don't mind paying triple the rate of a standard hotel, but it bothers me when I am then nickle-and-dimed for things the lesser hotels throw in for free (at $6 per bottle, no less). WiFi was free, however, and fast enough to stream video.

3) The TV setup was terrible. (We wanted to watch a little World Cup.) It is all run through the PPV system and getting to standard television and then to a desired station (ESPN) took about 20 clicks on the remote with three seconds between clicks - soooo slow and tedious; changing stations was just as bad.

Overall, it was great and we'd probably stay there again to be so close to the 6th Street action, but from a luxury standpoint, it could use some tweaks to merit the price.

Room Tip: The hotel appears to be divided into two halves, the main building, accessible directly from the lob...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had a nice stay at The Driskill.
Front desk staff was awesome, I think her name was Brandie or Brandy. What a nice greeting, she was full of life and smiled all the time. Hope you get to see Norway one day.

Lobby is awesome and grand.
Rooms was nice but there was a minor issue with the bath tub and the shower.
Location is the best.

Did not see any ghost outside 427 and 525 though. But you should look around the hallways, there's a lot of pictures and other stuff. Some is a bit creepy in late hours :-)

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Joe G, Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear enurweb,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. I am so glad you had a wonderful time in Austin and sorry you did not get to see any ghosts. hahaha. It is also great to hear that Brandi was able to take such great care of you. We are very proud of her and it's a pleasure working with her on a daily basis.

We can't wait to welcome you back to The Driskill.

Joe
SEATTLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Historic hotel beautifully restored with stained glass, etc. Bedroom was small and bed was too soft. The bathroom lacked the usual amenities and had the original tile. Good location near Congress Ave. and West 6th St.

Room Tip: Ask for firm mattress.
Green Features: No recycling observed. No request to reuse towels, etc.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Joe G, Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Hello OphSeattle,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your Driskill experience as much as you or I would have hoped. We definitely take great pride in creating memorable moments for our guests and clearly this was not the case. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Have a wonderful summer.

Joe

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!