“Impressive Building, Confused Accounting Department” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #42 of 184 Hotels in Austin
Los Angeles, CA
“Impressive Building, Confused Accounting Department”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

There's no doubt the Driskill is one of the premier hotels in Texas. Since there are lots of ways to review a hotel, this review covers only the way in which my company used it, which was for impressing clients from out of town. And this property will impress even your pickiest of VIPs. I promise you even the most chic client, no matter how much they love boutique properties or swanky club scenes, will enjoy a Driskill experience. You're paying for A) the service and B) the history (and it's accompanying charm).

It's got a hundred years of history in it, and you can tell, from the pro's (beatiful fixtures, grand entrances, ornate details) to the con's (some creaky doorways, thin interior walls, interesting modern lighting choices, etc). Make sure you get your money's worth and only get rooms with views. Otherwise you will be looking out onto a dirty, pigeon poop filled brick wall.

Service is beyond compare. Valet is attentive, front desk is prompt, housekeeping has anything you could ever want. You can't beat the location if you're going out on the town. I would highly recommend this property for a romantic getaway, a bridal suite, etc etc.

However, good luck with accounting. Getting folios is easy, getting discrepancies fixed is a chore. At one point, a guest in our group was given a credit on his personal credit card (which he gave for incidentals) for something he never paid for. Free money basically. I called them to remedy the situation and make sure they got their money back...and was treated with brusqueness, as if I was taking up THEIR time. Next time you guys put $1,000+ on one of my company credit cards, no worries, I won't let you know, we will just keep the credit.

I have personally stayed in this property. Would I chose it if I myself were traveling for business? No, not worth the money. Would I put another group of VIPs here for SXSW, ACL, or a business conference? Absolutely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Beautiful, historic hotel right in the heart of 6th street, but you'd never know it. Room was extremely quiet (except for the jerk that slammed his door 3 times in the morning). Check-in/out went very smoothly, valet was prompt & the concierge was very helpful with information and maps. Breakfast in the cafe was excellent. Loved the Texas feel (art, cow seats, long horned steer head on wall). Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Driskill and I loved every minute of it! The hotel is spectacular! We had a room on the fifth floor and it was extremely quiet. They don't even start cleaning rooms till after 12, so you can sleep in. The concierge was very helpful in suggesting restaurants and activities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at The Driskill. It's a beautiful hotel with nice staff and just a short walk to great shopping and restaurants. We asked for a quiet room and they put us in an interior room that was amazingly quiet. It was almost shocking when we went outside and found out how noisy it was a night; we'd never know! At night, they have a watchman who checks to make sure you have a room key before he lets you in. It was a nice security touch that keeps the "rift-raft" out. My only complaint would be the size of the bathrooms. It's a historical hotel though so I won't penalize them for it. :) We had a 2 room suite with really high ceilings, so it felt very spacious. I had room service for breakfast each morning and they were incredibly fast. I loved my stay here and when visiting Austin again, I will definitely come back.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

On a previous trip to Austin a few years back, we had drinks at the Driskill Bar and said "If we come back to Austin, we MUST stay at the Driskill." I had a business trip to Austin in October and made our reservation. I called and upgraded with Hyatt points to an Executive Suite. The hotel site shows all the suites so I asked which ones were Exec - they told me - and I asked if I could choose. They're only assigned day of check-in - so I had to wait until we arrived. Like anything connected with travel - I don't count on it until it actually happens.

We arrived too early to check in - left our bags, walked around town, came back - still not ready. Went to the Driskill Bar (site of our first love of the place) and waited, and waited and waited. Finally got the call - our room was ready - now the only thing was to find out WHICH Executive Suite. We went back to the front desk to get our keys and asked "which suite" - only to be told - "the Presidential." Okay - Sure - BUT again my brain says - wait until you get there and see if it's true.

It Was True! AND WOW!!! The LBJ Suite is really something to see - especially when you know "I'm actually staying here!!!" It's as good as the pictures on the website. Historic memorabilia and space with great character. VERY comfortable furniture and bed - wanted to bring the mattress home. The suite opens onto incredible public space with beautiful stained glass and chandeliers and two large public balconies.

All our encounters with hotel service was very pleasant - the room service, housekeeping, bellmen, front desk and conference staff. Not a surly one among them.

The Cafe/Bakery - great breakfast stop. Watching the bakers at work was a treat - and the food and service was just right. Plus we purchased a wonderful tin of Halloween cookies in a beautiful tin with the design of the stained glass from the Cafe.

This hotel has been so beautifully restored with attention to historic detail. It takes you back to an era of grand hotels with beautiful interiors, soaring ceilings and staircases. Our only regret was that we didn't to meet the ghosts that are said to inhabit the hotel - but it's clear why they would never want to leave the Driskill.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade with Hyatt points - DO IT!
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

You know you are somewhere special as soon as you walk into the opulent entrance hall of this grand hotel.
After three separate unsuccessful attempts to gain entry into our room, we were finally upgraded to a $1000 suite. The satin like sheets and matress enfold you like a cloud and the dressing gowns are fabulous.

The bar is a must, and the food reasonably priced, unlike the restaurant which can be very expensive. If you do manage to stay at the Driskill, check out the Bakery which serves a mean breakfast/ brunch. The French crime brûlée toast drizzled with caramel and served with berries was heavenly and the service exceptional.

Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the corner rooms as they can be quite small.
Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Driskill is an old charming building that's updated with modern conveniences. My room was a king size bed with high ceiling and a great ceiling fan. It harkened back to the old west. The bathroom was thankfully not old west but clean modern tile. The bar in the hotel was very cool with a metal ceiling and lots of sitting areas for conversation and relaxation. The place is in the middle of the action in downtown on 6th St. The only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars was the lack of pool. Everything else was charming and funky.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!