“Not a great experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 187 Hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Not a great experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Picked this hotel because my firm gets a good corporate rate and it looked nice, but I regret it. My room was in the "tower" part of the hotel, which I guess implies punishment. The A/C is very strange, in that it cools the room, but does not take care of the humidity, so the atmosphere was cold but dank, like a cave. There are no slippers, as should be standard in a nice hotel. I was hesitant to walk around barefoot, so I put on a pair of white socks -- good thing I did, because they got very dirty just from walking around the hotel room! I guess that's why they keep the lighting in the room so bad -- so that you can't see the dirt? Anyway, the lighting was awful. The bathroom is also very low-grade, and without essential supplies such as q-tips or even a shower cap. I probably could have called housekeeping to bring me some, but I don't budget time for that in the morning when I am trying to get to a meeting -- I expect the necessaries to be there. Also, the bed was too soft -- no back support whatsoever.

On the positive side, the decor was attractive and room service pretty good. I also enjoyed the hotel's restaurant for dinner. The honey fried chicken was delicious and the bartender makes an excellent Manhattan, which is the reason I am giving 3 stars instead of 2.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Sharon, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

All in all, a decent experience but I would not write home about it. The location is convenient in downtown Austin & the front desk and concierge/service was excellent.

The pros -- architecture & historical feel are top notch and really interesting. Definitely unique. Location. Sleep quality -- the bed was quite comfortable. Lobby area is also quite lovely.

The cons -- the room (carpet, wallpaper, etc) was rather dated and the bathroom was probably from the 80's. Shower seemed quite old along with the tile. Generally clean, but not confidence-inducing by any means.

You also need to walk up two sets of stairs to get to the elevators, which is not a huge deal unless you are hauling big suitcases, which would then be irritating. Elevators also were small/old/slow.

Multiple restaurants -- though I only went to the 1886 Cafe, which was good. I also enjoyed the live music in the bar, which made for a nice atmosphere, but not overly noisy either.

Prices were fair but I might go somewhere else next time in Austin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor and, although we usually don't spend quite so much on hotel rooms, we decided to go for it. We stayed for just two nights and enjoyed the hotel immensely! It's so rich in history and the architecture is amazing. Even though we went for a room at the lower end of their price scale, it was beautifully appointed and spacious. We were in the Historic Section of the hotel. Mind you that the New section was added in the 1920s! The hallways leading to the rooms are very wide, supposedly to accommodate women's hoop skirts back in the day.

If you're able to afford it, and you're looking for the ultimate in an old fashioned romantic hotel, this is it! I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Karen, we're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and many thanks for your feedback! We look forward to hosting you at The Driskill again, and we do hope to be a regular feature in your travel plans when in Austin.
Cameron Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel has been around since the turn of the century and it is very clean and elegant. The room I stayed in was beautiful and the location of the hotel was near the capital. The hotel is supposed to be haunted and there are many paintings and other art that make it a very interesting place. Fortunately, I didn't see any ghosts! I did enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Driskill for a conference. When you walk into the hotel you get the historic feel you are supposed to from the hotel - the main lobby is beautiful. But I do think the lobby is the best part of the hotel. There is nothing else about it that really stands out, it is just average. I think all of the rooms have been redone in that part of the hotel, and they are very nicely modernized, but the elevator that services the floor is unbelievably slow, the halls and rooms narrow and dark and it is generally a little creepy. I didn't want to sleep in a creepy dark room with the ghost of Colonel Driskill, so I moved to the newer wing and liked it better, but was still slightly underwhelmed by the place. The staff, however, was very accommodating in moving us around so I commend them for that.

Room Tip: The new tower has bigger, brighter rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

From check-in to check-out, our 4th stay at The Driskill was by far the WORST. The hotel has deteriorated over time and badly needs a facelift plus higher quality amenities to remain at their current rates. The front desk staff was unhelpful, until they were told our party were repeat guests, which helped some. Our former charming bedroom was reduced to a small, cramped area. There was nothing "charming" about the roar of the central A/C. It also had an awful, musty smell. Repeated calls to have it looked at went unanswered. There was no coffee pot in our room---I swear there were previously. But the main thing was the noise. A noisy A/C, noise from other rooms, noisy elevators. We did not use the Concierge service nor did we eat dinner at the hotel because of the long wait, though we had confirmed reservations. This was supposed to be a "get away weekend" with friends. We're just glad we "got away" from there in one piece. Never again!

• Stayed May 2013
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Bonna2100, we truly appreciate your review, and thank you for your candid feedback regarding your experience - we have shared your comments with our staff.

Our sincere apologies for the wait times with concierge, and with your dining experience. I'd love to hear a bit more so we can accurately understand what may have happened with your reservation, and rectify it in the future.

Given that we are a historic property, many rooms can be differently sized or shaped, notably in our 1886 historic wing. We do work to best match our guests with the room type that might be most comfortable for their needs, and I'd be more than pleased to personally handle any future reservations in order to ensure we provide a room or suite that you may have previously stayed in, or preferred. With the hotel's transition, there are $8 million in planned improvements and upgrades, in order to ensure the continued quality of the guest experience at The Driskill.

Please do feel free to contact me directly, at 512-439-1234, and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your fifth stay at The Driskill.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We try to stay at the most historic hotels when traveling and The Driskill is certainly that for Austin! The pluses, The lobby is gorgeous and the location is great, and the bar is a must!

The rooms are certainly on the smaller side which can be expected in a historic hotel but our room smelled musty and could certainly use some upgrading and the bathroom needed better ventilation, as the entire room felt like a sauna after every shower.

One of our biggest disappointments was the staff. The front desk first checked us into a room that was in the actual vestibule area of the elevator even though other rooms were available so we had to head back to request a different room by cutting thru a wedding party to access the lobby.

The concierge however was even worse. We found them to be unhelpful, she was happy to sit and chat with us but gave us a lot of bad information. We had planned ahead and ran some things by her and she gave us a ton of misinformation. We'd like to see the bats we say, and she tells us this is not the time of year... Well luckily we followed up elsewhere because it most certainly was the time of year. We would like to do a cruise on the Lake, and were told these weren't running but could possibly charter our own boat. Checked ourselves and sure enough the boat cruises were running. I could go on but I'm sure you all get what I am saying.
For a high end hotel I would certainly expect much more in the service department!

I personally wouldn't stay again but certainly worth a visit if staying elsewhere for a drink at the bar and to check out the beautiful lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!