“Worth the expense” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
“Worth the expense”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor and, although we usually don't spend quite so much on hotel rooms, we decided to go for it. We stayed for just two nights and enjoyed the hotel immensely! It's so rich in history and the architecture is amazing. Even though we went for a room at the lower end of their price scale, it was beautifully appointed and spacious. We were in the Historic Section of the hotel. Mind you that the New section was added in the 1920s! The hallways leading to the rooms are very wide, supposedly to accommodate women's hoop skirts back in the day.

If you're able to afford it, and you're looking for the ultimate in an old fashioned romantic hotel, this is it! I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Karen, we're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and many thanks for your feedback! We look forward to hosting you at The Driskill again, and we do hope to be a regular feature in your travel plans when in Austin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Cameron Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel has been around since the turn of the century and it is very clean and elegant. The room I stayed in was beautiful and the location of the hotel was near the capital. The hotel is supposed to be haunted and there are many paintings and other art that make it a very interesting place. Fortunately, I didn't see any ghosts! I did enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Driskill for a conference. When you walk into the hotel you get the historic feel you are supposed to from the hotel - the main lobby is beautiful. But I do think the lobby is the best part of the hotel. There is nothing else about it that really stands out, it is just average. I think all of the rooms have been redone in that part of the hotel, and they are very nicely modernized, but the elevator that services the floor is unbelievably slow, the halls and rooms narrow and dark and it is generally a little creepy. I didn't want to sleep in a creepy dark room with the ghost of Colonel Driskill, so I moved to the newer wing and liked it better, but was still slightly underwhelmed by the place. The staff, however, was very accommodating in moving us around so I commend them for that.

Room Tip: The new tower has bigger, brighter rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

From check-in to check-out, our 4th stay at The Driskill was by far the WORST. The hotel has deteriorated over time and badly needs a facelift plus higher quality amenities to remain at their current rates. The front desk staff was unhelpful, until they were told our party were repeat guests, which helped some. Our former charming bedroom was reduced to a small, cramped area. There was nothing "charming" about the roar of the central A/C. It also had an awful, musty smell. Repeated calls to have it looked at went unanswered. There was no coffee pot in our room---I swear there were previously. But the main thing was the noise. A noisy A/C, noise from other rooms, noisy elevators. We did not use the Concierge service nor did we eat dinner at the hotel because of the long wait, though we had confirmed reservations. This was supposed to be a "get away weekend" with friends. We're just glad we "got away" from there in one piece. Never again!

• Stayed May 2013
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Bonna2100, we truly appreciate your review, and thank you for your candid feedback regarding your experience - we have shared your comments with our staff.

Our sincere apologies for the wait times with concierge, and with your dining experience. I'd love to hear a bit more so we can accurately understand what may have happened with your reservation, and rectify it in the future.

Given that we are a historic property, many rooms can be differently sized or shaped, notably in our 1886 historic wing. We do work to best match our guests with the room type that might be most comfortable for their needs, and I'd be more than pleased to personally handle any future reservations in order to ensure we provide a room or suite that you may have previously stayed in, or preferred. With the hotel's transition, there are $8 million in planned improvements and upgrades, in order to ensure the continued quality of the guest experience at The Driskill.

Please do feel free to contact me directly, at 512-439-1234, and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your fifth stay at The Driskill.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We try to stay at the most historic hotels when traveling and The Driskill is certainly that for Austin! The pluses, The lobby is gorgeous and the location is great, and the bar is a must!

The rooms are certainly on the smaller side which can be expected in a historic hotel but our room smelled musty and could certainly use some upgrading and the bathroom needed better ventilation, as the entire room felt like a sauna after every shower.

One of our biggest disappointments was the staff. The front desk first checked us into a room that was in the actual vestibule area of the elevator even though other rooms were available so we had to head back to request a different room by cutting thru a wedding party to access the lobby.

The concierge however was even worse. We found them to be unhelpful, she was happy to sit and chat with us but gave us a lot of bad information. We had planned ahead and ran some things by her and she gave us a ton of misinformation. We'd like to see the bats we say, and she tells us this is not the time of year... Well luckily we followed up elsewhere because it most certainly was the time of year. We would like to do a cruise on the Lake, and were told these weren't running but could possibly charter our own boat. Checked ourselves and sure enough the boat cruises were running. I could go on but I'm sure you all get what I am saying.
For a high end hotel I would certainly expect much more in the service department!

I personally wouldn't stay again but certainly worth a visit if staying elsewhere for a drink at the bar and to check out the beautiful lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently, I had a horrible experience with the Driskill's Reservation department. I had booked a room for new year's week, drove up to Austin intending to stay at my friend's for new year's eve and then move to the Driskill the following night. I contracted the flu on new year's, so I had to cancel my reservation. It was less than 24 hour notice, so I understand that all they could do is give me a hotel credit for the room. A month goes by, and I call them asking them how and when I need to use the hotel credit. The reservation dept tells me I have a couple of months to use the credit before it expires, but not to worry, they will call me the week of the expiration to notify me, and at that point I would need to pick a night to stay. I was happy they provided this service, and therefore did not need to count down on my calendar. Another month goes by, and I realize they never called. I call them back and ask what had happened, and if I could use the credit this weekend. They claim that "according to their notes, somebody made an attempt to call". I never received this call nor even a voicemail message! I asked to talk to their manager, and they claim "he just stepped out for a meeting". My only other option was to leave a message for him, and of course, I never get a call back.

I have stayed at this hotel many times, and it is beautiful. I'm sorry to say, they have lost a customer for life.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Monica, please do let me offer our sincere apologies for your experience, and the frustration involved with a lack of returned communication. Our current policy extends the time frame of one year to redeem a room credit -- and we intend to honor this with your credit as well. To ensure a seamless process, I'd like to extend the offer to personally handle your next reservation with us. When ready, please do call the hotel directly, at 512-439-1234, and they'll be able to direct you to the Public Relations office.
Columbus, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Driskill is 100% vintage Texas! It is a masterpiece hotel that anyone need to visit once...or more. Within walking distance of almost everything Austin downtown, anyone would thoroughly enjoy their stay and the breakfast at the attached 1886 Cafe and Bakery!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!